Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

Question about 335i

Who has or has had a E90 335i or a  35i with the twin turbos.

I'd like to know what they are like cost wise to maintain and also what they are like on the reliability scale.

Always thought one of these in a E60 with a stage2 tune would be a nice combination.

Edited by Kiwi_BMW

I’ve had an E91 335i for almost a couple of years now. Standard stock setup but a brilliant drive just as it is. 

It’s been really reliable, not missed a beat and other than regular services no costs at all. I do have the benefit of mechanical policy but haven’t had to use it. 

well looked after by Jon at Auto 38 in Wellington who keeps his eye on things when he services it for me. Fingers crossed but so far nothing has come up as needing doing other than service items  

Quite thirsty to run but that’s the fun of it. 

I have had my 2007 335i for 3 years now and have had a few issues, most of which I expected. First up the Engine and Trans are very reliable but stuff bolted to the engine is what can cause problems. My charge pipe leaked which is quite common so I just replaced it with an aftermarket version cost was $300. Like most BMWs at 10 years the valve cover seal leaked, but its not a tricky replacement. I had a coil blow but it could have happened on a 320i or 330i just as easily. My vacuum line cracked, again a pretty easy repair and I chose to replace the rubber lines with silicone lines so no issues going forward. The big one was my DME blowing a MOSFET, again a known issue, I bought the replacement MOSFET off Amazon $20 and had an electronics guy solder it in, $150 labour  I chose to do some upgrades, new upgraded  PCV valve, better intercooler and an oil catch can, all of which aren't needed but I was always planning to tune it so it an investment in future reliability.  I have had the transmission serviced $600 but that's about it besides brake pads oil changes etc . If your mindset is that of wanting to spend as little as possible on maintenance then its not the car for you, they need stuff sorted at around 100,000k; trans service, perhaps a walnut blast on the intakes, oil leaks fixed, new plugs and possibly coils, but it is one of the cheapest ways to get HP and torque without spending big money, in fact I would say there is very little out there that offers the same bang for your buck especially if you tune it, which is very easy and cheap. It also has a lot more class and refinement compared to a WRX or similar. My advice put 2k away for preventative maintenance when you buy it get sorted then you will only have standard maintenance to worry about for the next 50k or so.  BTW they are as cheap as 12k now, such a performance bargain.

John they are cheaper than $12k now I see them for as low as $6-7k, even the occasional F10 535i is down around $15k or less.

There is plenty to be read online about the high pressure pump and injectors, I hadn't heard about the MOSFET in the DME.

I would expect maintenance on any car and the more preventative maintenance you do the more reliable the car is usually, although mechanical things do break and stop working when they want to not when you want them to, 75,000km and I recently did the wife's waterpump and thermostat, no warning on that one.

What is the fuel economy like on trips? Around town anything seems to chew up fuel.

Yes agree I have seen a few really cheap 335s but all have had pretty high KMs. There is a lot of talk about HP FPs and Injectors but it seems US cars are more affected than NZ/Jap cars and of all my N54 buddies I haven't heard of anyone having issues with either. On the highway with CC on my car will sit on 7.5 to 8 L/100Km. But around town it is closer to 12. My car has a stage 1+ MHD tune so stock maybe better. 

Done plenty of HPFP,  Injectors aren't so common. Water pump is probably the most common expense they tend to fail between 70 and 120kms.

If you are concerned with reliability then I suggest getting a mechanical warranty 

I looked at them before my last car, 60kms NZ new and had had two hpfps, friend imported one and it needed it within 1500km, so it does occur here. Add vanos  solenoids to the list.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Done plenty of HPFP,  Injectors aren't so common. Water pump is probably the most common expense they tend to fail between 70 and 120kms.

If you are concerned with reliability then I suggest getting a mechanical warranty 

Yeah I end up fixing it anyway, unless it happens away from home.

I'm actually thinking a 535i E60 would be ideal, I've been looking at parts and 1 engine bracket and sump are required to fit a 35i into the E60. It would be unique here in NZ and the size of the 5series is more practical than the 3series.

I've had my E91 335i for two years now, has a 3-year mechanical warranty. Apart from annual service (and replacement of airbag/blower controller under the BMW campaign) it has had spark plugs/ignition coils replaced and trans pan and sleeve leak fixed. No other issues... yet.