Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Stuck lifter in m52b28

I assumed stuck would mean it literally stayed down. 

The engine developed a pretty bad tick so I pulled the exhaust cam out, and discovered the feed galley for Cyl 5 had been partially blocked by a silicone noodle (that's what I've been calling them, around 6 extracted from various places so far (first couple were stuck to the oil filter before I flushed, and again after a second flush.)

received_763746107369882.thumb.jpeg.f6a0334e2fc31ffe31a03eab67987113.jpeg

Anyway, is this a stuck lifter? It's squishy where the rest are solid. 

Edited by EurolessNoMore

Follow up question, 

While everything is out should I replace every lifter? I'm thinking I'll just replace the two that have been starved. 

Lifters are pretty easy to rebuild and only cost you your time

I assumed that once a lifter was bunged it needed replaced? I've pulled them all apart for a deep clean 

Depends if it had actually failed internally or it just needs a clean, they shouldn't compress when filled with oil. Easy enough to inspect since you are cleaning them all but 2 new ones would be good for piece of mind. Never heard of anyone rebuilding them myself, buying a whole new one would be better i would of thought.

• Like 1

New ones is a nice thought but haven't found any in NZ and I'd love this car going next week. 

I suspect now the problem could have been insufficient oil pressure causing one or both to collapse, hence the noise keeping the same cadence but sometimes being twice as loud. 

Survey says if you assemble the two parts without the spring the valve should keep air in so it will resist being squeezed 

With all the silicon you pulled out no one would be surprised. Shame on the PO. 

55 minutes ago, EurolessNoMore said:

New ones is a nice thought but haven't found any in NZ and I'd love this car going next week. 

I suspect now the problem could have been insufficient oil pressure causing one or both to collapse, hence the noise keeping the same cadence but sometimes being twice as loud. 

Survey says if you assemble the two parts without the spring the valve should keep air in so it will resist being squeezed 

I bought some about 6 months back here locally. They were either from euro italian or that crowd down south.

$30 per lifter multiplied by 24 and it starts getting expensive.

Clean and rebuild them, and if any are not save-able just replace those ones.

I'd only replace all with new if it was a full on race motor build, or money was no object.