Sign in to follow this  
Camu

Reissue of original NZ plate

Is there any way of getting the original NZ licence plate back for a car?

The M3 has had a few plates in its time and I would like to try and chuck the original back on, if possible.

Any ideas how I would go about this?

Cheers

You can buy it as a personalised plate - you will need to prove ownership of car etc etc to servicenz@licensys.com - they control the remanufacture of previously issued plates. 

There is a form (MR19) that you need to fill out, then flick that through with ID and the veh documentation. They'll 'release' the plate for reissue, then I guess you work with kiwiplates (was plates.co.nz back when I did it) to buy the thing. 

Any questions sing out, I can probably dig up some old emails or something to illustrate the process. 

Edited by Mikan
Manualcorrected some autocorrects
  • Like 1

Oh, do standard license plates always 'live' with a car even if they've been superseded?

I had always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that standard plates went back into the pool if they were ever replaced.

At the cost of a normal personalised plate it might be worth just going for a personalised plate!

I'll have to do some digging.

Isn't 3 letters and 3 numbers far cheaper.  Or am I confusing this with the US system.

Nah, it's cheaper if it follows the standard format like that. 

E36 would have been 2 letters 4 numbers so sadly up there in price

I think from memory they cut me the standard format price when I did the same (two letters, four numbers) - I think they have a bit of discretion. This was 2016 though, so could all have changed. 

Thought about selling my plate as I haven't been into drifting since the mid 2000's.  But I have had it so long I might as well just leave it on the race car and confuse people.