Sign in to follow this  
Venkat

Need Help on the Right Tyre for BMW X5 (2014)

Hello Bimmers,

This is my first time here and I am glad to see a community page for all Bimmer ownerrs & enthusiasts. I am here for a definite reason - Tyres. I think I've spent way too much looking at the info to change the tyres on my BMW X5 (2014) i30d. I had a chat with Bridgestone & Michelin dealer, spoke to cheap tyres in Otahuhu (assuming they sell run flats, lol), checked Hyper drive and Tryolla (online tyres) and finally I arrived 3 shortlists - Bridgestone Dueller HP Sport (RunFlats), Neuton NT 561 (RunFlats). 

Bridgey is priced at $720 a tyre. Honestly, I would never spend so much on a car tyre. I know it all drives to safety but my Bimmer has already done 70K's and I'm not too sure how long will I hold this girl. I have a child and especially in NZ the wet conditions matter a lot for most of us. But, why $720 a tyre? is the big question in my head. Bridgey is quality, no doubt about it. tip notch technbology and I also realised it's got silica compund in the rubber. The life of this tyre is great and I can keep going. Great Pro's and only 1 Con - the cost.

Neuton NT 561 - This tyre is claims to be made in Singapore. I've lived in Singapore for 5 years and I can say there are no factories in Singapore at all. I mean, Singapore imports 98% of all the products that are sold out there Including water. I am confused how a Tyre is manufactured in the hear of the city. Well, My assumptions are wider. It could be a marketing office or even a PO box. Keeping the address aside, the price makes me lean towards this tyre. It's wet conditions are good (not comparable with the Bridgey), the walls are thicker to avoid any side damages. I am not sure about the life of the tyre though. A few Pro's and a few con's.

I really need your help in choosing the right tyre for my car. I am price conscious as others here but If anyone can suggest other brands that they have used or currently running on them, please help out. I know, there are experts in here and recommending a tyre might feel like they're wasting their time but please come forward and suggest. I can be one of you next time (and save your time) if anyone asks a question about a BMZ tyre :-)

Neuton tyres are a budget brand tyre no doubt and but no would know how much worse they are than the Bridgestones unless you used both new in the same conditions.

Id be swapping out the runflats for conventional tyres in your situation (i believe most do this). The higher cost, lesser ride quality and grip negate the puncture benefits for the average persons use. You can get a factory tyre inflator kit from BMW etc for temporary puncture repair.

I always just went with conventional tyres for the reasons stated above. I don’t know what size wheels you have on there but when I was putting Pirelli Scorpion 19’ tyres on my old E70 X5 you could pick them up for $4-500 plus fitting. I thought they were a good tyre for the size of the vehicle. I can an expensive Hankook SUV tyre which was apparently the OEM tyre for the F15 in some markets but they wore very quickly and I definitely had more confidence in the Scorpions. 

People have a range of views but I saw no point in runflats - you always sacrificed the tyre by running it under inflated so I figured a can of tyre-weld and a small compressor was just as good for better ride. 

As an aside - I does my head in how cheap some people are with tyres, the only things which keep you on the road. The X5 is what, a $120-150k vehicle new and still pretty pricey used and people can’t spring for even mid-range tyres to fit? Come on. 

A competent tyre shop will be able to give you a good recommendation. I have used Tyre City in Newmarket and found them good for this - it’s like most things in life, there are no ‘special hacks’ and you trade off performance for price. 

Why are they expensive? Because they are big. Try your local BMW dealer for prices might be able to better that

• Like 1

Michelin (Lat3) and Goodyear (GSD5) have a tyre in the 19" fitment 255/50/19 for about $500.  I'd go Goodyear.  Both are buy one get one half price at Hyper.

Bridgestone has the Alenza in that size as well and from memory it's sub $500.  Bridgestone only though.

If you have the 20" fitment 275/40/20 then Dunlop has the 050+ for $550 buy one get one half price at Hyper.

So yeah, you can get a decent tyre for under $500 per corner.  Just don't buy runflats.