Sign in to follow this  
JonRP

BMW 1978 520

Hi all,

I need some advise please with what mechanical & body items to look out for on a pre purchase inspection on this 1978 520. 

I spoke to the owner at length today, the e12 is certainly genuine, low original kms, factory spec'd options with a great back story in Europe.  'Bluey' has only 1 true owner as ordered direct in Germany prior to taking the long way home over 2 years for a valid reason.

Any advise would be greatly received.  Thank you in advance, Jon

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2442251421.htm

Edited by JonRP

Don't know too much about them but rust rust rust!

There's not much to go wrong with them apart from rust, check the bottoms of the doors, boot floor, around the tail lights, around the door hinges, sills, floor, inner guards, etc, etc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Jesus, are they really worth that much?!

I don't think so, it's been on trademe a long time. Was initially at 20k

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not aware of much of a following for the E12, so not much demand would suggest not a great value.. but you only need one!

@Hotwire is a wealth of knowledge on the E12, pretty sure he has a few in his back paddock.

Thank you for the replies gents.

The e12 are a are great shape and pretty bullet proof mechanically I've heard if maintain. 

This example has an interesting back story being purchased in Germany direct from the factory, then travelled around in Europe by a doctor on a working holiday for 2 years prior to arriving home in NZ.

The owner will only sale to an enthusiast, $12-$15k seems reasonable to me.

Happy motoring, Jon

I'll admit, seems on the pricey side for what it is. Have seen them sub $10k, but then again this is the only one for sale that I'm aware of. Personally (and perhaps a tad obviously) E28s are a better car mechanically with better ratio of simple to performance, parts availability etc. YMMV