Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Paul Walker's E36 M3 Lightweights

Paul Walker's E36 M3 Lightweights (and two E30 M3) have just been sold at the Scottdale auctions for a total of USD1.205m for all five (!!!).

https://journal.classiccars.com/2020/01/18/paul-walker-lightweights-collection-sells-for-1205000-at-barrett-jackson/

I seem to recall one of these popped up on TradeMe mid-2019, or did that just have the checkered tri-colour decals slapped on?

The one on TradeMe was just a look-a-like, had the rear wing and the decals and that was it. Not a true “lightweight” version, which is why it never sold for the $35k asking price IIRC.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The one on TradeMe was just a look-a-like, had the rear wing and the decals and that was it. Not a true “lightweight” version, which is why it never sold for the $35k asking price IIRC.

Ah I see, all I could remember was that there was an alpine white M3 with those decals.

I suppose that give all ~125 are LHD US cars none will likely be in NZ anyway.

"LTW" M3, 38k IIRC.

What I suspect happened, because they're adamant they got a "proper" valuation, is that the valuer thought it was a genuine LTW because they did a Google image search and then looked on BaT, and they've convinced the idiot owner it is such.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:22 PM, Cale said:

Paul Walker's E36 M3 Lightweights (and two E30 M3) have just been sold at the Scottdale auctions for a total of USD1.205m for all five (!!!).

https://journal.classiccars.com/2020/01/18/paul-walker-lightweights-collection-sells-for-1205000-at-barrett-jackson/

I seem to recall one of these popped up on TradeMe mid-2019, or did that just have the checkered tri-colour decals slapped on?

Most overvalued ///M car of all time with a corny celebrity tie in IMO. 

• Like 4

Do these have the US spec "S"50?

So technically the nz ltw rep was actually a better car ???

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Definitely. I instantly have no interest in them. 

13 minutes ago, KwS said:

So technically the nz ltw rep was actually a better car ???

OMFG, that's so true and so f**kin' funny. They'll put the price up to $50k now!

?

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2020 at 1:46 PM, m325i said:

Most overvalued ///M car of all time with a corny celebrity tie in IMO. 

Yea what they sold for is irrelevant to any other LTW in my opinion. Factors driving the price up would be that it was for charity and they are ex-PW. I hope this hasn't given false hope to Joe Bloggs LTW owner. 

There is one on BAT trying to take advantage of the silly prices Walkers ones sold for.

Apparently one guy purchased two of them.  Think he realizes that they only have value in the US as they have a sub par US spec S50?

Pretty strange that the LTW is worth so much.. Sure it looks nice but its not much more than a flash looking e36 '330'. Any euro spec M3 is a far better car for way less money.

Now BAT has a stock E36 M3 from Japan on the site. Superior car to the Ltw. 

Yep, you can now legally import 3.0 M3's to the US... 2 more years (?) and they can import Evo's.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:22 PM, Cale said:

'Just decals slapped on' cheapens our work a little don't you think ? 

Yes it's still for sale. Pretty good example too, this has since had a fair amount of interior restoration work completed. Might put this on my stand at Concours next month if you'd like to see it in person. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CSET said:

'Just decals slapped on' cheapens our work a little don't you think ? 

Yes it's still for sale. Pretty good example too, this has since had a fair amount of interior restoration work completed. Might put this on my stand at Concours next month if you'd like to see it in person. 

Hang on, the $38k e36 3.0?

If so, are you saying it was $38k with a "fair amount" of interior work needing doing? ?

And you know the owner? And you're letting them market it for $38k? ?

What am I missing?

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, bradgalbraith said:

Pretty strange that the LTW is worth so much.. Sure it looks nice but its not much more than a flash looking e36 '330'. Any euro spec M3 is a far better car for way less money.

You keyboard warriors are missing the point about the LTW cars. Factory build race cars, quite a different kettle of fish from the basic S50 or US spec S52 M3. The US spec S50 series engines whilst producing less HP, do produce far more torque, and HP all the way up to the 7800 rev limit, and have superior suspension, bigger brakes et al. And pushing less weight, better interior, no a/c or sunroof (althought a couple had the roof)

And as for the constant risible comments about the white M3 with the flags and hi riser wing, its a pretty mint car and goes like stink. Alpine white, germany's racing colours. How often have you seen a white E36M3? The price is negotiable, instead of bagging the car (and owner) if your in the market for such a car, go and see it, then make educated comments.

The techno violet convertible sold a couple of weeks ago for relatively strong money too, willing buyer seller scenario, what's more there is a bit of value left in the car for the purchaser as well, so win win.

NB:No affiliation with either of these cars

Edited by Willy Sea
  • Like 3

The only things particularly special about the LTW are the limited numbers and the aero kit.

Brakes are stock, I don't even think the LTW got floating rotors, the suspension is stock Euro M3, the interior is meh, and doesn't include Vaders which are an iconic e36 M3 essential, the oil pan is stock M3 euro, the fuel pumps are stock M3 euro. 

Most importantly it doesn't have a proper M3 engine... 3" intake, no ITB's, smaller injectors, weaker bottom end, non-forged pistons, etc, etc.

Compared to the US M3 the LTW is good. Compared to anything else it pales. Sure, there are only ~125 so for that fact alone they're rare and (apparently) more valuable but as a car? Nothing special.

I'd take the $38k Euro over a proper LTW any day of the week. But I also wouldn't pay $38k for the Euro, that's a stupid asking price, especially given the miles on the thing.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, M3AN said:

The only things particularly special about the LTW are the limited numbers and the aero kit.

Brakes are stock, I don't even think the LTW got floating rotors, the suspension is stock Euro M3, the interior is meh, and doesn't include Vaders which are an iconic e36 M3 essential, the oil pan is stock M3 euro, the fuel pumps are stock M3 euro. 

Most importantly it doesn't have a proper M3 engine... 3" intake, no ITB's, smaller injectors, weaker bottom end, non-forged pistons, etc, etc.

Compared to the US M3 the LTW is good. Compared to anything else it pales. Sure, there are only ~125 so for that fact alone they're rare and (apparently) more valuable but as a car? Nothing special.

I'd take the $38k Euro over a proper LTW any day of the week. But I also wouldn't pay $38k for the Euro, that's a stupid asking price, especially given the miles on the thing.

Have you seen it? And the market is telling you what the LTW cars are worth, why don't you listen and observe before hitting the keyboard?

• Like 1

Just now, Willy Sea said:

Have you seen it? And the market is telling you what the LTW cars are worth, why don't you listen and observe before hitting the keyboard?

Yeah, I've seen it. There's nothing I have seen that says it's worth that much. NO e36 M3 is worth that much unless it has delivery miles only on it. Period.

If you slow down a little you'll see that I've acknowledge LTW's are "more valuable" but that does NOT make it great car.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Willy Sea said:

and have superior suspension, bigger brakes.

As Dave said.  No they don't.  Better interior... no it doesn't.

Even comparing a LTW to a stock rest of world spec M3 the real M3 still has a better power to weight ratio of 5.1kg per HP compared to 5.5kg per HP of the LTW.

The Evo just blows it out of the water whilst listening to music with the Air Con going.

It's just a Homologation car built to suite the Americans based on their "M3".  They have no relevance outside of the US.  The rest of world version of this car which is far superior is the M3 GT (356) or the incredibly rare M3-R from Aussie (15).

• Like 2

Interesting discussion. The market spoke on the US lightweight cars, and there were plenty of bidders, so that's where they are in Jan 2020,  keenly sought after. And its not like they were isolated sales, normally so many of the same thing on the market at the same time would lead to a slump in hammer price, especially near the end of the item lots, but not so with these vehicles. So obviously of more interest than your ordinary common garden variety 3 or 3.2 litre E36 M3. Remember this chassis was chassis of the decade (1990's) in the US, and has a strong following there.

As to the pros and cons of handling and performance, from behind the wheel I doubt if any of us could differentiate between any of the models being discussed using the "seat of the pants" method.

Have driven two of the Aus Frank Gardner built cars, no 15 and more recently Nov 18,  no 11. Would own one in a heartbeat, if the wallet allowed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

But that's my point.  The market for them is only in the US.  Where they are from.  Outside of the US I doubt they would get any interest outside of someone wishing to make money on one by selling it back to the US market.

Also it was a charity event so people went mad.  Watch the one on BAT for a more realistic price.

• Like 1