Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Paul Walker's E36 M3 Lightweights

10 hours ago, M3AN said:

Hang on, the $38k e36 3.0?

If so, are you saying it was $38k with a "fair amount" of interior work needing doing? ?

And you know the owner? And you're letting them market it for $38k? ?

What am I missing?

Yes to all, the owner also managed to find brand new matching interior cloth so has gone about re-trimming door cards etc to make them perfect. For what it's worth, this car ranks as one of the best condition e36 M3's I've had hands-on experience with (I was sandbagging a bit at 'pretty good' in my previous comment). Does that make it worth the asking price? Certainly not for me to decide, let alone speculate on; I'm not a potential buyer. And there's absolutely no way I expect to dictate how much someone wants to market their car for..!

What I will say is that I hope it sells high; regardless of the generation, M3's appreciating is of particular interest to me..! ?

Edited by CSET

Jeez, I wonder what they'll expect with the interior refurb?!? Do you know where they got it done BTW?

I understand you wanting to remain objective Christian but I think we all know that it hasn't sold for $38k because it's not worth anything near that.

9 hours ago, M3AN said:

The only things particularly special about the LTW are the limited numbers and the aero kit.

Brakes are stock, I don't even think the LTW got floating rotors, the suspension is stock Euro M3, the interior is meh, and doesn't include Vaders which are an iconic e36 M3 essential, the oil pan is stock M3 euro, the fuel pumps are stock M3 euro. 

Most importantly it doesn't have a proper M3 engine... 3" intake, no ITB's, smaller injectors, weaker bottom end, non-forged pistons, etc, etc.

Compared to the US M3 the LTW is good. Compared to anything else it pales. Sure, there are only ~125 so for that fact alone they're rare and (apparently) more valuable but as a car? Nothing special.

I'd take the $38k Euro over a proper LTW any day of the week. But I also wouldn't pay $38k for the Euro, that's a stupid asking price, especially given the miles on the thing.

What can I say in response here? Stupid asking price? I disagree, lets leave it at that. The time is coming when this car will be giving good value for money. Correct me if mistaken, one should buy on condition and history, (both are excellent) and considering the age of the vehicle, mileage is really irrelevant.

Great, then mine's worth $50k every day...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

But that's my point.  The market for them is only in the US.  Where they are from.  Outside of the US I doubt they would get any interest outside of someone wishing to make money on one by selling it back to the US market.

Also it was a charity event so people went mad.  Watch the one on BAT for a more realistic price.

Sometimes I wish some of you more frequent posters would take your blinkers off before giving the keyboard a good savaging. US equals 330 million people. Huge place, I know you lived there Driftit. Surely an adequate enough market in terms of size alone. The US car enthusiast don't give a stuff about the rest of the world, or my or your opinions. Irrespective of it was a charity event or not, it was an active auction with multiple bidders for the cars. The car on BAT at the moment will probably go RNM, but well into 6 figures, one sold last year for 66k, and in 2018 another for 154 RNM. Go figure. The car on offer now is one owner 60k odd miles. If my wallet allowed I'd be going for it.

37 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Great, then mine's worth $50k every day...

I've often thought Dave that shooting from the hip, as you tend to do, displays a certain arrogant ignorance. Your post above removes any doubt.

Edited by Willy Sea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Willy Sea said:

Sometimes I wish some of you more frequent posters would take your blinkers off before giving the keyboard a good savaging. US equals 330 million people. Huge place, I know you lived there Driftit. Surely an adequate enough market in terms of size alone. The US car enthusiast don't give a stuff about the rest of the world, or my or your opinions. Irrespective of it was a charity event or not, it was an active auction with multiple bidders for the cars. The car on BAT at the moment will probably go RNM, but well into 6 figures, one sold last year for 66k, and in 2018 another for 154 RNM. Go figure. The car on offer now is one owner 60k odd miles. If my wallet allowed I'd be going for it.

My whole argument here was how the LTW is an inferior M3 and would have little interest outside of the US market.  We all know why they are selling for that much in the US.  And just in case.  Because they don't have the better M3's.

Trying to convince me the LTW is just as good by making things up like better suspension and interior... well you should have put your blinkers on and checked your info first.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Willy Sea said:

I've often thought Dave that shooting from the hip, as you tend to do, displays a certain arrogant ignorance. Your post above removes that doubt.

Hip? No, I'm shooting ducks in a barrel in this case. I don't think mine's particularly special but on your scale of value it's worth $50k if the other is worth $38k.

Defending an unrealistic price seems pretty ignorant to me, you have no idea what you're talking about and you've demonstrated that by spilling out misinformation about the LTW's. Stop now.

Perhaps stick with your porkers? I'm sure you're an expert in them.

• Like 1

Lets not forget those prices were at a CHARITY auction at the biggest auction house for cars. BARRETT JACKSON, they were also cars owned by a FAMOUS actor (c grade) so those conditions add up to make for unique circumstances. 

Lets see those LTWs sell for 200k+ each at a small auction house, not a charity and owned by Joe Blogs. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Hip? No, I'm shooting ducks in a barrel in this case. I don't think mine's particularly special but on your scale of value it's worth $50k if the other is worth $38k.

Defending an unrealistic price seems pretty ignorant to me, you have no idea what you're talking about and you've demonstrated that by spilling out misinformation about the LTW's. Stop now.

Perhaps stick with your porkers? I'm sure you're an expert in them.

Never mentioned my "scale of value" and we are all entitled to share opinions on this and other forums without such one eyed hair splitting bigotry as you are capable of displaying , and have done so yet again today. 

The market held the floor during the these auctions and prices were obtained that you with your expertise and comment seem to think were unworthy, and not realistic. Well be that as it may, those prices (not including buyers premiums) were achieved, so tilt away at that.

Enjoy my cars, BMW included, and been lucky enough to own some of the best cars in the world, even more, enjoy a vigorous dialogue, from you it can become a diatribe, keep it coming.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Driftit said:

My whole argument here was how the LTW is an inferior M3 and would have little interest outside of the US market.  We all know why they are selling for that much in the US.  And just in case.  Because they don't have the better M3's.

Trying to convince me the LTW is just as good by making things up like better suspension and interior... well you should have put your blinkers on and checked your info first.

Disagree. Inferior M3. What part of superior performance and handling do you not understand. Read and study the comments of the guys who have owned and driven / raced one. Nothing wrong with my knowledge base either, its built up on nigh 50 years of sports and performance car ownership across multiple brand platforms.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Disagree. Inferior M3. What part of superior performance and handling do you not understand. Read and study the comments of the guys who have owned and driven / raced one. Nothing wrong with my knowledge base either, its built up on nigh 50 years of sports and performance car ownership across multiple brand platforms.

Same guy posting as willy sea. But one opinion. Do have a soft spot for the E36 M. Moreso if it were white, and as you see from the  Bandit's sig , neither of the E36 are.

• Confused 1

Whats with all the newbies on the forum coming in guns blazing? Theres about three of them in the past week or so. Is it the same person with different logins? There was that one the other day about the 1M too.

E: Lol, didnt even read the post directly above about those two being the same person.

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KwS said:

E: Lol, didnt even read the post directly above about those two being the same person.

And by the same person, trolling... 

I think this thread needs more spice

the Z3 m coupe is hideous and should never have been built

the e46 m3 is overrated and slow

SMG is a manual

the bmw 1m is a real M car

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, andrewm said:

I think this thread needs more spice

the Z3 m coupe is hideous and should never have been built

the e46 m3 is overrated and slow

SMG is a manual

the bmw 1m is a real M car

And the e36 M3 is the best M3 ever built!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M3AN said:

And the e36 M3 is the best M3 ever built!

The euro spec evo right? Lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, andrewm said:

Only the blue ones... ?

47 minutes ago, M3AN said:

And by the same person, trolling... 

Yeah, same guy, hardly trolling, thats a bit harsh.Too many machines in the house, forgot a password a few years back, willy sea became the alter ego of bandit.

One opinion, sometimes its hard to shut willy sea up! Just as well his machine is in the office.?

43 minutes ago, andrewm said:

No no, did you not read this thread? Its the LTW!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KwS said:

No no, did you not read this thread? Its the LTW!

The m3 LTW was a great marketing campaign for the e36 330i poverty spec. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

What’s the best oil to use?

0w80

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Michael. said:

Lets not forget those prices were at a CHARITY auction at the biggest auction house for cars. BARRETT JACKSON, they were also cars owned by a FAMOUS actor (c grade) so those conditions add up to make for unique circumstances. 

Lets see those LTWs sell for 200k+ each at a small auction house, not a charity and owned by Joe Blogs. 

Some of these cars came with the factory option sagging headliner too!

Edited by m325i