Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

What's it worth? E36 M3 Evo rolling chassis and broken engine...

Not mine...

Black E36 M3 Evo with high km's (think 250k miles) and some mods; coilovers, big brakes, e46 M3 front arms, camber plates, genuine GruppM intake, carbon fibre bonnet, Z3 rack, probably more. Interior shows its age but I've seen worse. Never raced (on a track at least).

Engine (S50B32) has a warped head (badly overheated) and is out of the car and in pieces, no work done.

Might be too much of a project for the owner, they've yet to decide. I thought $10-12k but I might be dreaming...

What's the community opinion? I appreciate that without specifics and pics the range might be wide but I can work with that to start with so give it an earnest guess.

That's a tough one. Without the S50 it's worth similar value to me (a tight a$$) as say, a 328i or 325i roller - as essentially the engine sounds like junk. Rack and suspension work, meh, wouldn't expect to recover anything on those. Gearbox might be worth a grand? I'm sure the usual vendors could squeeze it for lots. I won't insult with my figure. ?

• Like 3

$8-10k for an engine rebuild? $1500 to tidy up the interior? What condition is the gearbox in? 
Then you have a 400,000 km M3? Worth $15k?

Plus hassle, so $2k?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blackie said:

That's a tough one. Without the S50 it's worth similar value to me (a tight a$$) as say, a 328i or 325i roller - as essentially the engine sounds like junk. Rack and suspension work, meh, wouldn't expect to recover anything on those. Gearbox might be worth a grand? I'm sure the usual vendors could squeeze it for lots. I won't insult with my figure. ?

I agree about the suspension, probably not adding value. Rack is a good one but it's not going to make a significant difference to the price I agree. Six speed and original 210 diff will be worth well over a grand combined, diff alone is probably $800+ and 420G trans would be worth quite a bit on the open market, maybe $1,600+. Perhaps.

4 hours ago, Palazzo said:

$8-10k for an engine rebuild? $1500 to tidy up the interior? What condition is the gearbox in? 
Then you have a 400,000 km M3? Worth $15k?

Plus hassle, so $2k?

Naa, a rebuild won't cost that much (unless you want to blueprint it), you could land a used engine from Germany for NZ$6.5k if you shop around. Assuming pistons and crank don't need to be replaced (I'm not sure) then you're probably looking at 3.5k for a rebuild. Top end, head, tray and cams can be had for around 2.5k.

Running gear is in perfect working condition... no doubt due a distance-related refurb though.

But I'm not saying this thing is worth heaps, and I appreciate your opinions... and yep, distance travelled and general wear and tear is a real factor to consider. All good food for thought, thanks.

Keep 'em coming, lovers or haters.

Edited by M3AN

I neither love nor hate. 

Just what it would be worth to me.

I was quoted $3k to do a head gasket on a 328i, so given some sort of M based parts price hysteria, I would think more. And at that mileage, while it’s apart, you may as well do everything, rings, bearings,  vanish, etc etc.

• Like 1

Plenty of s50b32 parts all on eBay UK. Perfectly good engines are being stripped down as they are worth more in parts than as a whole. 

S54 swap it I say

• Like 2

Perfect candidate for the S54 swap, but the problem is that the rest of it isnt worth much. Body, almost worthless. Interior, a couple of grand depending on condition. The intake and bonnet might be another grand to the right person. Value is really in the gearbox and diff, but even then who wants donor parts that have that many miles on them? I'd estimate its worth about 5k.

God an S54 E36 would be the tits though.

Last 420g sold for 3k, just box.

Whole rear assembly - 2.5k no worries

Headers - 1k

Vaders - 1k even if in poor condition

Body - 3k just because it's an Evo chassis that I'm assuming isn't bent

Engine - 2k

Where are these evaluations coming from. 2 grand for a non crashed Evo?? You'd be hard pressed to buy a factory manual 330i with a blown engine for 3k let alone an Evo M3

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Last 420g sold for 3k, just box. 250,000 MILES (400,000km) on it though?

Whole rear assembly - 2.5k no worries Still 250,000 MILES

Headers - 1k Eh, sure, if someone needed a set

Vaders - 1k even if in poor condition Not from what i've seen on facebook, $1000-1500 for a good set, far less if bolsters are gone

Body - 3k just because it's an Evo chassis that I'm assuming isn't bent Its a normal E36 body, with reinforcement plates and an M3 chassis number. Almost worthless.

Engine - 2k In the right market, which is likely overseas. S50 parts sit for sale in NZ for ages, there is no market here.

Where are these evaluations coming from. 2 grand for a non crashed Evo?? You'd be hard pressed to buy a factory manual 330i with a blown engine for 3k let alone an Evo M3

2 minutes ago, KwS said:

M3 chassis number. Almost worthless.

Pick 1

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

What good is an M3 chassis NUMBER when the car isnt original anymore, and has 400,000km on the body anyway? There is no value in that.

I’ll give him a genuine offer of $4000

23 minutes ago, KwS said:

What good is an M3 chassis NUMBER when the car isnt original anymore, and has 400,000km on the body anyway? There is no value in that.

You would be surprised. Hint, it's not legal. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, euroriffic said:

I’ll give him a genuine offer of $4000

I'll pass it on tomorrow morning.

I've already got an interesting selection of offers to discuss and I'll be as transparent as possible. It's not actually on the market yet but this is the only place it's being officially discussed.

I'll try and get some pics. Yes, chassis is straight.

Where are these evaluations coming from. 2 grand for a non crashed Evo?? You'd be hard pressed to buy a factory manual 330i with a blown engine for 3k let alone an Evo M3

$2k for a 400,000km car with no motor. Dave asked what it was worth in people's opinions, that's mine if I was to bother making it a good, driveable car again.

Yes, it's worth more in parts, if they are in ok condition and not shagged from 400,000 gently driven kilometres.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Toast said:

Last 420g sold for 3k, just box.

Is that the S50 or M60 v8 version? If it is the S50 version then I better start bringing some in!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gaz said:

Is that the S50 or M60 v8 version? If it is the S50 version then I better start bringing some in!

M/S50X motors. I purchased the 420g conversion that popped up on here last month, but not before checking what others had recently sold for. If you can find them in "good" condition apparently the going price is 3k. I would say that V8 versions would be far north of that if imported individually.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gaz said:

I got mine for $700. Cut the bellhousing up to fit my M30. They are not that expensive. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toast said:

M/S50X motors. I purchased the 420g conversion that popped up on here last month, but not before checking what others had recently sold for. If you can find them in "good" condition apparently the going price is 3k. I would say that V8 versions would be far north of that if imported individually.

You can get them for under 1500 if importing your self. I bought a v8 one in for just under 1k.

• Like 2

Soooo... what was your mates decision on what to do with the car 

10 hours ago, euroriffic said:

Soooo... what was your mates decision on what to do with the car 

Was also wondering about this. Though I'm no longer allowed new projects. Apparently a house is more important. 

7 hours ago, Driftit said:

Was also wondering about this. Though I'm no longer allowed new projects. Apparently a house is more important. 

That’s a tough choice! I just wanna know if I’m in the running , but can stretch on my offer, before I start putting money into the compact that’s in dire need of a rear end rebush. Is not fun to drive on the open road I’ll tell you what! Where as an m3 would be a much better starting point 

Sorry guys, I forgot about this... out of sight and all.

Thanks for the nudge, I'll check what the status is and report back. Won't be instant but will happen.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, euroriffic said:

That’s a tough choice! I just wanna know if I’m in the running , but can stretch on my offer, before I start putting money into the compact that’s in dire need of a rear end rebush. Is not fun to drive on the open road I’ll tell you what! Where as an m3 would be a much better starting point 

Keeps you on your toes. Driven a few E30s with flogged out subframe bushes. Ass end just followed the ruts wherever. 

But M3. S54s can be had for pretty cheap out of the US. Seen them as low as $1500usd. Bit more if you want accessories. 

sounds like the car is worth more in parts than as a roller. All points made so far have some validity especially that fact that even when finished it will be a 400,000km car, that will limit future sale ability and if its S54 swapped , which is very cool. it will limit who will want it as well. I think its a 5 to 8k car max.