Jacko

The 130i Thread

So i bought this little thing today... great condition, and has basically all the preventative maint done (I just havent got the time or the skills to DIY most of it), now to sell the NC2....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2522219110.htm

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mzhu031 said:

So i bought this little thing today... great condition, and has basically all the preventative maint done (I just havent got the time or the skills to DIY most of it), now to sell the NC2....

Nice car Mark, some interesting options... did you buy the brakes also? And, given the discussions in this thread, did you pay anywhere near $16k?

Regardless, if you want to swap some parts and make some cash back, send me a PM... ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Nice car Mark, some interesting options... did you buy the brakes also? And, given the discussions in this thread, did you pay anywhere near $16k?

Regardless, if you want to swap some parts and make some cash back, send me a PM... ?

Haha yeah, the calipers plus a new set of big slotted rotors,  and two sets of wheels. The Calipers need new seals, might be fun little project. 

I have the ACS on the car and the BGWs are apparently forged too, they are pretty light and not a scratch on them. 

yeah didn't pay 16k, very nice and sensible seller and he happens to live a few doors down from me. I think we were both happy with the final price. 

• Like 3

Nice one, thats a good car, and has some nice bits on it. 

The seals and dust boots on the 135 calipers are cheap and easy 

• Like 1

Has anyone checked out either 1 of these 2 cars? Im wondering if they’re any good seeing as they’ve been on TM for a while; probably not surprising noting the prices 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2315375979.htm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2443801132.htm

10 minutes ago, ///M said:

Has anyone checked out either 1 of these 2 cars? Im wondering if they’re any good seeing as they’ve been on TM for a while; probably not surprising noting the prices 

Damn expensive..

• Like 1

Sometimes I just dont get why the 130 get so much discussion. I have driven a couple and sure they are nice enough and sort of quick but compared to any of the n54/n55 cars they are a lot slower especially with regard to in gear acceleration. Aussie car mag Motor tested one in thier 2006 Bang for your bucks issue. It recorded a 6.2 second 0 to 100 and a 14.4 in the quarter mile which are both quite reasonable. However it was one of the slower cars around the circuit. Beaten by a V6 Commodore, MX5, Golf GTi, Mazda 3 MPS, WRX, Legacy GT and Falcon XR6t. I wonder if people gravitate to them because the N52 is a lower maintenance engine compared the 54/55? 

• Like 2

^^^^^^
I’ve been wondering the same thing.

Nice enough, but meh.

• Like 1

RWD hatch, (pretty much in a class of its own), relatively light, brilliant engine, fun if flawed chassis that can be easily fixed, manual gearboxes can be had and available for peanuts at the moment. 

N52 is far better engine than N54 in every aspect other than power output, and comparing penis dyno sizes, and how often do you get to use more than 200kw on the road anyway? 

Beaten by a V6 Commodore, MX5, Golf GTi, Mazda 3 MPS, WRX, Legacy GT and Falcon XR6t.

Got a link to that, if you look at zeperfs, 130 is faster than MPS (and way faster than Mx5) around all the tracks they list. 

I dont understand why E36s get so much attention... slow, unreliable, uninspired things.... if they werent so unreliable they couldve come out of any of the generic japanese 90s manufacturers  :D

• Like 3

Yep... I actually drove one recently after seeing all the hype here. Great cars and I definitely see the appeal but not comparable to the n54/55. Jumping back into my 135i after, there was a night and day difference.

From a reliability point of view I definitely see the merits of a 130i. In saying that, my n55 has been faultless in 3 years of ownership with regular maintenance. But I understand the potential for higher cost repairs with the turbo motors. 

50 minutes ago, qube said:

Damn expensive..

For that sort of money, Id be wanting headlights that werent UV damaged...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ///M said:

I agree with Kyu, they're fine but nothing special. We've seen manuals go recently for a lot less that that... you'd save money flying out of town to get one then driving it back. I wouldn't pay more than about $12-$13k max for a stock manual minter now and I'd want to pay a lot less than $13k tbh.

As for the recent noise around 130's @Herbmiester, @Palazzo - I think the recent uptick in Bimmersport owners is a significant contributor and across a number of us we have some nice examples which stimulates some discussion. I also agree with everything @Jacko says and I'll draw a parallel to the e36...

This is BMW's modern e36 and once 6 cylinder e36's became available to the masses they rapidly became popular because they were the ideal execution of BMW engineering for their era... IMHO BMW have drifted a long way from that engineering essence and the 130 gives us a glimpse of the past wrapped in (semi) modern tech.

I don't consider boosted cars a suitable comparison, the driving experience is entirely different. And really, if mine has anywhere near the claimed 280hp with a 3.64 diff I certainly wouldn't want any more power for a daily. And the 6 speed auto is a dream.

If they came with proper suspension and an LSD out of the box (expensive I realise) then I suspect there would be even more chatter!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbmiester said:

Sometimes I just dont get why the 130 get so much discussion. I have driven a couple and sure they are nice enough and sort of quick but compared to any of the n54/n55 cars they are a lot slower especially with regard to in gear acceleration. Aussie car mag Motor tested one in thier 2006 Bang for your bucks issue. It recorded a 6.2 second 0 to 100 and a 14.4 in the quarter mile which are both quite reasonable. However it was one of the slower cars around the circuit. Beaten by a V6 Commodore, MX5, Golf GTi, Mazda 3 MPS, WRX, Legacy GT and Falcon XR6t. I wonder if people gravitate to them because the N52 is a lower maintenance engine compared the 54/55? 

I think I read that article. Did it include the 335ci?

My problem with the 1 series hatch is having to look at it every day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, str8_6 said:

My problem with the 1 series hatch is having to look at it every day. 

Hahaha i lold. 
Its a relatively practical car being a 4 door hatch with useable rear seats and once u are inside driving it it feels all good. 
in saying that i also didnt particularly love the shape which is one of the reasons i sold mine. 

awesome drivers car though. 

37 minutes ago, qube said:

hatch with useable rear seats

If you’re below 165cm.

Fold the seats down = shooting brake with better load access

35 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

If you’re below 165cm.

Its really not THAT bad. Its not the grestest but better than a coupe

I had a 118i for a while. Limited edition model (didn’t leak/use oil and water), I wouldn’t sit in the back of it. 

I sort of get the attraction, but it’s barely any faster than a manual 328i which is better looking and has a useable boot.

7 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

I had a 118i for a while. Limited edition model (didn’t leak/use oil and water), I wouldn’t sit in the back of it. 

I sort of get the attraction, but it’s barely any faster than a manual 328i which is better looking and has a useable boot.

A 118 you mean? A 130 is barely any slower than an E36 3.2 M3, plenty of videos on line of 130s nipping at the heels of E46 M3s! 

72962947_10156242635262693_7532926252642992128_o.jpg

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Cant agree with this.. 130i hatch is waaaaay quicker than a 328i e36 (or e46) and the hatchback boot is miles better than a coupe.

also a 118/130 comparison is like a 318 vs 330 e46 or e36 m3.

• Like 1

Feel free to start 135i N54/5 threads if that's your thing. A lot of us prefer the 130i though. It's a bmw, isn't that what we're here for?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Feel free to start 135i N54/5 threads if that's your thing. A lot of us prefer the 130i though. It's a bmw, isn't that what we're here for?

debatable... https://www.bmw.co.nz/en/all-models/2-series/activetourer/2020/bmw-2-series-active-tourer-highlights.html

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

also a 118/130 comparison is like a 318 vs 330 e46 or e36 m3.

Is a 130i bigger than a 118i?

Did I compare the performance of the two?

The e36 coupe boot with folding seats is miles bigger too. Unless you want to carry a fridge, then get a ute.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

The e36 coupe boot with folding seats is miles bigger too. Unless you want to carry a fridge, then get a ute.

Load-through is terrible on the e36... can't even get my push bike in. No problems with the 130... and no e36 sedans had folding rear seats did they?

• Like 1