Jacko

The 130i Thread

26 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

The N52 is a more reliable engine in some respects, but its worth noting the internals of the N54 rarely give issues unlike the lifters on the N52. As to the whole penis size comment, all I can say is that it was you that felt the need to mention it...........  What you do lack in an N52 that you get a shed load of in an N54 is torque, crazy launch you forward like a slingshot levels of torque, available from about 1800 rpm. Out of corners its so impressive you dont need to rev it to 6000 plus RPM you just ride the torque wave and watch cars disappear as they scramble for revs. In the real world it makes overtaking so easy, better than most V8s that I have owned. BTW BFYB results below. 

img20200216_17432282.jpg

No one here cares, we're not trying to compete. Start an n54 thread 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

The N52 is a more reliable engine in some respects, but its worth noting the internals of the N54 rarely give issues unlike the lifters on the N52. As to the whole penis size comment, all I can say is that it was you that felt the need to mention it...........  What you do lack in an N52 that you get a shed load of in an N54 is torque, crazy launch you forward like a slingshot levels of torque, available from about 1800 rpm. Out of corners its so impressive you dont need to rev it to 6000 plus RPM you just ride the torque wave and watch cars disappear as they scramble for revs. In the real world it makes overtaking so easy, better than most V8s that I have owned. BTW BFYB results below. 

img20200216_17432282.jpg

Somethings odd there, A 130 is as fast, or faster, than an R32 golf on a racetrack, topgear and 5th gear both had shoot outs. Probably not in a drag race but the R32 was 130s direct competitor after all. 

1 minute ago, Blackie said:

No one here cares, we're not trying to compete. Start an n54 thread 

Wow so defensive, you slammed the N54 I just replied. 

1 minute ago, Jacko said:

Somethings odd there, A 130 is as fast, or faster, than an R32 golf on a racetrack, topgear and 5th gear both had shoot outs. Probably not in a drag race but the R32 was 130s direct competitor after all. 

Reputable magazine with no agenda. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Wow so defensive, you slammed the N54 I just replied. 

You jumped on a 130i thread and started sh*t talking..... I never 'slammed' n54?!?

So, the red 130i, can anyone tell if it sold or just 'listing expired' as per tardme?

I really liked that one, but seller never answered my questions.

• Like 1

OMG - thread explosion! ?

Glad I wasn't online. ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M3AN said:

OMG - thread explosion! ?

Glad I wasn't online. ?

I am out of reactions but yes! Hahaha

• Haha 1

And it's not about tyres, or oil, or Ron, or me! ??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

You jumped on a 130i thread and started sh*t talking..... I never 'slammed' n54?!?

sh*t talk implies I made unfactual or incorrect statements. I am pretty sure I avoided that and said nothing of the sort. I am just wanting to know why the n52 boys get so fizzed up, basically because I am looking at a 330i for the wife. Now I have obviously hit a nerve and your getting really defensive and mentioning small male appendages so it's clear to me I will get no sensible discussion with you. I still remain unconvinced about the 130i as a performane BMW.

Edited by Herbmiester

It's probably due to the reasonable performance, of a reasonably reliable BMW engine, in the classic NA straight 6 that BMW is known for.
Currently they're in excellent bang for buck cars. (130i, 330i, 530i)

• Like 2

Its simple, N52s are for the BMW purists, N54s are for the german RFB fam.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

So, the red 130i, can anyone tell if it sold or just 'listing expired' as per tardme?

I really liked that one, but seller never answered my questions.

Saw it expired... Im guessing it sold, it was silly cheap and looked legit (and unique as the only red nz new manual). Hopefully it gets looked after. 

Edited by Jacko

6 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Its simple, N52s are for the BMW purists, N54s are for the german RFB fam.

Hilarious; I never thought the N52 was a purists motor, certainly doesn't get much press when people talk about great BMW engines. I see it more as an everyday engine. Must drive another one to confirm that.  

5 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Hilarious; I never thought the N52 was a purists motor, certainly doesn't get much press when people talk about great BMW engines. I see it more as an everyday engine. Must drive another one to confirm that.  

Wards 10 best engines - Reputable folks, no agenda , no matter how jaded the forum poster. 

BMW AG has been scrambling lately to maintain its prime position atop the sport-sedan pecking order, as new and revitalized Japanese and U.S. competitors chip away at its Ultimate Driving Machine brand equity.

The cornerstone of that brand image is BMW's famous — and famously smooth — inline 6-cyl. engine.

Shackled somewhat by the sensibilities of a European-market base that demands mainstream engines remain snugly sized, BMW watched in recent years as larger-displacement V-6s worked walloping horsepower advantages of as much as 70 hp over its 3L straight-six in sport sedans. Something had to be done.

The answer, launching last year in the U.S. market, is the magnificent N52 3L DOHC I-6, the 12th generation of the hallowed inline 6-cyl.

Using a raft of new power- and efficiency-enhancing tweaks, BMW narrowed the power gap with the half-liter-larger premium V-6s to the point where the engine's intrinsic design advantages aren't overshadowed by horsepower comparisons, alone.

Winning a 10 Best Engines award for the second time in as many chances, the N52 returns BMW's “standard” inline 6-cyl. to its rightful place as the exemplar of what a sport-sedan engine should be.

Engineers baked in some materials intrigue, evidenced by the 3L straight-six's high-tech magnesium-aluminum block — said to save about 22 lbs. (10 kg).

Equally important, BMW engineers fitted the trick Valvetronic variable valve-lift mechanism to augment the VANOS variable valve-timing arrangement that already had been used in the previous-generation 3L inline 6-cyl.

The new fettling of the basic layout also delivered a key byproduct: an extra 500 rpm of engine operation. The redline now is a satisfying 7,000 rpm, and the new N52 feels robust and willing enough to run to 9,000.

Yanking the N52 up to 255 hp and 220 lb.-ft. (280 Nm) of torque — and unleashing the redline — makes for a mid-displacement performance engine without parallel. BMW's new, ultra-tight valve control takes an engine that already was not short on excitement and adds a magnificent new level of throttle response and exhaust sound.

“This engine totally rips,” says one 10 Best Engines judge. “It's ready to go at any rpm.”

More telling, perhaps, is what that hallmark inline 6-cyl. smoothness does for perceived performance: “255 hp?” says another editor. “It feels like more.”

And the new-generation inline 6-cyl.'s ability to deliver mid-20 mpg in the real world drives home the serious efficiency achievement gained with Valvetronic's elimination of conventional throttle. It is an innovation other auto makers are preparing to emulate.

The sparkling performance and spectacular refinement at all engine speeds make BMW's 3L DOHC I-6 a special experience, no matter how jaded the driver.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Wards 10 best engines - Reputable folks, no agenda , no matter how jaded the forum poster. 

Well there you go I am now educated, and what a lot of interesting banter to get there. I will pay much more attention to the 130i in the future especially when I see one in my rear view mirror. :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

...I see it more as an everyday engine. Must drive another one to confirm that...

You're more than welcome to drive mine if you're ever in my area, genuine and open-ended offer. ?

I'm not sure anyone's advocating it as an "everyday engine" or a "performance BMW"... I think we're saying it's a great little car that leverages and demonstrates BMW's credibility in six-pot, rear wheel drive, reasonably small and light cars. They really are a joy to drive with the suspension sorted. Even the shitist ones I drove had great feeling engines.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M3AN said:

You're more than welcome to drive mine if you're ever in my area, genuine and open-ended offer. ?

I'm not sure anyone's advocating it as an "everyday engine" or a "performance BMW"... I think we're saying it's a great little car that leverages and demonstrates BMW's credibility in six-pot, rear wheel drive, reasonably small and light cars. They really are a joy to drive with the suspension sorted. Even the shitist ones I drove had great feeling engines.

Thanks Dave I will take you up on that offer when In Auckland next. Always keen to drive cars and get a feel for them.

Imo the biggest appeal of the n52 vs N54 is that on the road you can drive the pants off the n52 and have fun, whilst the N54 is generally over powered for the road and not as fun to drive hard. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KwS said:

Imo the biggest appeal of the n52 vs N54 is that on the road you can drive the pants off the n52 and have fun, whilst the N54 is generally over powered for the road and not as fun to drive hard. 

I thought so initially as well but you tend to drive it differently around town and short shift to use the torque. That torque jumps up noticeably with a tune; I am supposedly at 550+ nm  All that said it revs to 7k if you want it to. I am a bit of an acceleration junkie and having come from a muscle car background I guess I am not a traditional BMW enthusiast. I like them very much and really do appreciate how good the chassis are but I like to be pinned back in the seat. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KwS said:

I think that’s just the difference between different drivers preferences. I tend to love torque, others like to rev and work for it. Having owned the n52 and n54 together for the last few years, they both have their merits and the n52 is great, but to me it’s always just lacking something. Sadly my n52 has been the most unreliable engine I’ve ever owned from BMW and it has less mileage than my n54. N54 has been nothing but brilliant constantly. It’s hugely capable, giggle all the time fun, sounds so much better and more economical every day. 
Okay okay, I think I’ll start a n54 fanboy thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Despite the excessive trolling, this seems to have concluded amicably, with no rage quitting. The internet must be broken. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Palazzo said:

“Bully RS3 drivers”

Hahahahaha!

This has become pointless.

They are clearly the record holder at the Nurburgring with more rear seat room than a Maybach. The boot is so capacious Mexican drug cartels have started putting a ton of cocaine in the boot for late night border runs as they can outrun a plane.

At the start of this thread, I actually quite liked them. 
Not anymore.

Props to Mean and Jacko though, both of your cars will be better for your ownership and good examples.

What a load of dribble. You asked the questions but didn't want the answers.

And it's "Bully RS3 drivers over the Remutaka Hill". Look it up. Understeer. We stopped and chatted afterwards. But whatever. 

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Despite the excessive trolling, this seems to have concluded amicably, with no rage quitting. The internet must be broken. 

Excessive Trolling, is that the same as excessive sensitivity?