Jacko

The 130i Thread

Im actually gonna go have a look at this over the weekend, has anyone else seen it in person? 

kinda miss a manual bmw since i sold the M3....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mzhu031 said:

Im actually gonna go have a look at this over the weekend, has anyone else seen it in person? 

kinda miss a manual bmw since i sold the M3....

Ive been debating about going and grabbing it myself... whats another N52B30 in the driveway... Wife would probably stab me though. 

Im down in Takanini, but if you want a set of eyes to look at it, hollah. 

Edited by Jacko

On 2/3/2020 at 8:31 PM, M3AN said:

Dynamics? Only a goose could consider the stock bumpstop-based suspension praiseworthy! It's utterly, utterly terrible on anything but a concrete road (Germany) and at any speed over 140km/h... really, truly scary. 

And I really like the look, before and after purchase!

Hmm I think it's time you got a refresh. Mines not like that at all. While it's stiff it's amazing on the back roads of the Wairarapa. Which are poorly maintained bumpy windy sh*t roads. Sort of crashes through the bumps at low speed around town though. 

Cars all original. But has some Korean tyre's rather than run flats. 

I thought it was OK to good-ish when you were pushing it, but it was sh*t in normal driving, like it handles fine but it's just not comfortable.

How are those Roadstone tyres anyway?  Good, OK or total poopoo?

Edited by GorGasm

On 2/3/2020 at 8:31 PM, M3AN said:

Dynamics? Only a goose could consider the stock bumpstop-based suspension praiseworthy! It's utterly, utterly terrible on anything but a concrete road (Germany) and at any speed over 140km/h... really, truly scary. 

And I really like the look, before and after purchase!

Wow there is something not right with yours then as mine is nothing like that at all.

lol - mine is fine, it has aftermarket coilovers. The other 6 were terrible.

It's a common complaint and when you consider how the suspension works, riding on the bumpstops, entirely understandable.

22 hours ago, Jacko said:

Ive been debating about going and grabbing it myself... whats another N52B30 in the driveway... Wife would probably stab me though. 

Im down in Takanini, but if you want a set of eyes to look at it, hollah. 

lol 3 n52b30s...  cool, will let you know ill get in touch with the seller. 

17 hours ago, GorGasm said:

I thought it was OK to good-ish when you were pushing it, but it was sh*t in normal driving, like it handles fine but it's just not comfortable.

How are those Roadstone tyres anyway?  Good, OK or total poopoo?

They are not too bad. Wearing ok and I haven't had any issues with grip. They moaned a bit on the track though. I virtually do no city driving. So the cars been great. 

drove these two today - one was on stock but new Sachs shocks, the other on slightly worn out AC schnitzer  ones (I think, it rode slightly lower and werent coilovers, and the car had heaps of AC stickers) . The AC car had better turn in and feel while not being too harsh...  though that could also be hydraulic vs electric power steering. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2522219110.htm?rsqid=ef0e2a53d102498daad524e168aca564-001

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2477015064&rsqid=b96699db94214fcd9109ad9c49c99408-001

• Like 1

The 2007 version has lot's of expensive bits... and it sounds like it's been looked after properly. All the stuff they mention is sensible. That intake is worth a fair bit and NLA. Great turn-in will be the M3 LCA's (or did you mean the other car?), and it still has hydraulic steering (you can see the reservoir). Still... too expensive IMHO.

The 2006 looks quite unique and has a fabulous looking exhaust with the L/R outlets (very ///M). You don't see those wheels very often and they actually look quite good, as does that rear spoiler.

But auto v's manual, surely that's your deciding factor, which are you looking for?

• Like 1

biggest difference surely is the auto vs manual. both nice just depends what you want.

big price difference obviously too..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mzhu031 said:

drove these two today - one was on stock but new Sachs shocks, the other on slightly worn out AC schnitzer  ones (I think, it rode slightly lower and werent coilovers, and the car had heaps of AC stickers) . The AC car had better turn in and feel while not being too harsh...  though that could also be hydraulic vs electric power steering. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2522219110.htm?rsqid=ef0e2a53d102498daad524e168aca564-001

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2477015064&rsqid=b96699db94214fcd9109ad9c49c99408-001

The 2007 manual one is a guy on BMW 130 group on facebook, good fella and he has spent some serious coin on it. Has definitely been looked after. 

The 06 one with the quad exhaust has been on trademe for a long time, it started out priced at something like 14k. 

• Like 1

ah yeah so the 2007 was the one with stock but new suspension, the 06 was the auto with the better turn in and steering feel, not well looked after from what I can see, but must've been someones baby when it was back in Japan (that exhaust sounded quite special, and great wheels with aftermarket suspension)

Thanks M3AN - i thought the LCIs all had EPAS - I didn't even seen the reservoir lol

Also this will be blasphemy here... even with new gearbox mounts the 130i didn't have a great gear change.  My other car is a NC2 mx5 so that might explain it. The auto was excellent for an auto, but I ll have to lose a leg before I buy one. Just thought I would check it out. 

• Thanks 1

Very few of us pray at the BMW alter, we're more likely to hum a hymn or two on the front steps from time to time. Sharing your experience is welcome.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mzhu031 said:

Also this will be blasphemy here... even with new gearbox mounts the 130i didn't have a great gear change.  My other car is a NC2 mx5 so that might explain it. The auto was excellent for an auto, but I ll have to lose a leg before I buy one. Just thought I would check it out. 

Might need the bushings changed? I ditched all the stock rubber bushes in mine and went teflon ECS tuning ones, not expensive and is pretty slick. 

The stock shifter feel is normally pretty reasonable though, they could be shagged. Not expensive anyway. 

• Like 1

The prices for these are really all over the place. Would not pay over 10k for one however. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mzhu031 said:

NC is like a good bolt action rifle to shift though. Never found BMWs shifters to be that great, even with uprated bushes, but they arent terrible.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ctho said:

Just sold at auction for $4,265 ?

?

Jeepers, it could fall apart at that price and you'd still be getting a good deal. For somebody so inclined it would be a perfect project, buy for $4,265, spend another $4k on maintenance and good bits and you're away laughing with a near perfect car.

Nah the guy was out of town this weekend. Did see a couple of autos, one has been sitting at penrose cars for a whole year. There is one at motorco with 80 thousand ks but the suspension was pretty worn and soft, and it had a terrible top end tick at startup. 

Best one I've seen by far is still the white manual in the mount....  guess you buy on condition and not ks....

11 hours ago, mzhu031 said:

Nah the guy was out of town this weekend. Did see a couple of autos, one has been sitting at penrose cars for a whole year. There is one at motorco with 80 thousand ks but the suspension was pretty worn and soft, and it had a terrible top end tick at startup. 

Best one I've seen by far is still the white manual in the mount....  guess you buy on condition and not ks....

Tick is just air in one or more of the hydraulic lifters. Common for vehicles doing small trips. E.g. Being moved around a yard. 

Hold RPM at 3000 until it comes right. About 1 - 2 mins. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that ^. 

I'd skip the one at Penrose Cars... one of the first I looked at. Expensive and well worn. Okay body kit though.