Sign in to follow this  
JazAce

E90 335i Coolant Light and Coolant Splashes

Hi All,

I've had my 335i for nearly a month, it's a 2008 with around 48k on the clock. Driving home this afternoon I got a coolant level warning light come on and managed to get the rest of the way home just fine (maybe 8-10 mins). Opened the hood this evening and I have coolant splashes all over the top of the expansion tank and around that side of the engine bay. Looks like the coolant cap had come loose or popped off from the pressure, as it wasn't in locked in at the arrow position and had very easy give.

Any idea what my first move is here and what could have caused this? Car was serviced by the dealer I bought it from at Christmas, but I'm not sure if anything was done with coolant at that time. It also had an oil leak a couple of weeks ago which was fixed at the dealer's cost, apparently from the rocker cover gasket.

Has anyone experienced this?

20200124_201917.jpg

20200124_201920.jpg

20200124_201937.jpg

After looking a bit further, there is no coolant left and it is all over the engine bay, something has burst. There is actually more pooling of coolant on the left-hand side away from the expansion tank. I have a bad feeling that I won't be driving it anytime soon.?

20200124_210333.jpg

20200124_210354.jpg

20200124_201917.jpg

Considering how soon it is after you bought it, I reckon you should get the dealer to take a look. Lots of possibilities with these things, ranging from $200 to $10000 :) When I had the same symptoms it was on the top end of that, thankfully mostly covered by the warranty...

Could even just be an old/faulty coolant cap. They're designed to release coolant if the pressure is too high. If worn or faulty they can release it too easily. 

Edited by Matth5

Sometimes people overfill them during the servicing too. 

Just a comment on getting dealers to fix things. I have had a lot of disappointing experiences with this - they operate on such thin margins that most of the fixes they do are the absolute bare minimum. Just be careful and don’t get your hopes up that you won’t end up redoing other parts of the cooling system later on. 

Looks to me like the cap has given up, how does the seal look underneath? You'd be surprised how far the stuff sprays under pressure.