Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Attn VW illuminati: Opinions on Mk2 Jetta

I've been looking at this Jetta, seems like a fairly well thought out mk3/4 conversion. 

I know nothing about VW though, can anyone translate it to bmw terms? 

Is this like an E21 body, E30 driveline and E36 engine? 

Looking for thoughts on future value, present fun. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2499431474

I'm fairly sure one of the Cams (palmy way) on this forum is VW wise. 

This car was put together by a guy I used to know.

It's more like an e30 body with e36 running gear and e46 engine. The engine is an AGU 20v 1.8 turbo out of an early mk4 Golf. Cable throttle. The running gear is mk3 GTI, 5 stud 5x100. It's a full subframe swap with bigger brakes. Rear beam was swapped. Mk3 steering rack. This was a good few years ago now though, don't know what's been done to it since.

It's a pretty common swap these days for the older Golfs and Jettas. I did one in my old Mk2 as well.

For what they are they are heaps of fun and go really well.

Just depends what you are looking for. I prefer my 328i manual E36. Don't regret moving on from my mk2.

Edited by M M
  • Like 1

I had a MKII GTI 1.8 16v US-spec from mid-'94- late '96, did a lot of work on it (clutch, water pump, loads of maintenance), knew it well.  Also drove a friend's 8V GLi Jetta, and a friend local to me had an 8v GLi (The GLi was the Jetta version of the GTi).  They're a fun drive, quick, light, and handle reasonably.  Aerodynamics of the hatch run out at 190kmh, after which they become brick-like.   My learnings:  Boge Turbo shocks work much better than KYBs.  You don't need 17's.  A shifter repair kit and new engine and subframe mounts transform the experience.  Best exhaust is the one from Euro Sport accessories in California, not showy but more flowy and more go-ey, yet not pricey.  They're good in the canyons and on the freeway.  By contrast, the MK3's I drove at the time (GL, GT, GTi) were nice, but duller.

Looking at it clinically, I'd take a 1993 318iS any day of the week, thank you very much.  Way better chassis.  And probably wearing its years better than the VW, too.

HTH.

Edited by Olaf

Thanks for that, very helpful. 

Just miss having a retro car, pissed off at E30 tax, and nostalgic for that turbo sound and feel like the old days. 

Probably not many people know this but @BreakMyWindowand I were fairly deep in the mitsubisbi/drag/Street shenannigans thing back in the day. He had a ZR4 and it was glorious. 

• Like 1