Sign in to follow this  
Anunzis81

M54b30 manual into 318 ti auto

Hi Guys

As the tile says, I am putting a 2001 m54b30 manual into a 1998 318 ti which had manual auto.

I have two issues with the driveshafts. The auto gearbox was longer than the auto, hence, the auto driveshaft is short (#1). Also, the coupling between the e36 driveshaft and the e46 gearbox is different issue (#2).

Since I still have the e46's driveshaft, my plan was to have the front half od the e46 chopped to size and welded to the front half of the e36 (also chopped), so I can match both the lenght and the spline, but since they come balanced, that's when I am hesitant. 

What do you guys say?

Other thing, how do you separate the two ends of the e36 (looks like e30 design) halves of the driveshaft. It doesn't have the 18mm bolt right next to the U joint so I am guessing the only way is to remove the U joint itself, is that correct?

Cheers

Get it joined and re balanced by a professional shop, you will need to be able to produce a receipt for this work when you go for the cert. I have used ADL in the past, there was a guy there called Steve who did this work when they had a branch on the shore, not sure if he is still with them now they have closed that branch. You will also need driveshaft hoops for the cert.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I was not thinking on doing that myself, should have mentioned that. Alright, cool, good to know I wasn't that far of. I already have the driveshaft hoops so I am guessing it is a matter of taking measurements now.

Thanks!

On 1/26/2020 at 6:26 AM, aja540i said:

Get it joined and re balanced by a professional shop, you will need to be able to produce a receipt for this work when you go for the cert. I have used ADL in the past, there was a guy there called Steve who did this work when they had a branch on the shore, not sure if he is still with them now they have closed that branch. You will also need driveshaft hoops for the cert.

Hey mate, again, thanks for the info. I called the guys and what they do is that they ship it to Driveshaft NZ (095502805) in penrose.

Cheers

This any help both seem to come apart  might be able to mix and match. Length still could be the kicker as i found out despite what others told me.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E36-Compact/Europe/318ti-M44/feb1998/browse/drive_shaft/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E46-Compact/Europe/318ti-N42/apr2001/browse/drive_shaft/drive_shaft_cent_bearing_universal_joint/

On 1/26/2020 at 1:59 AM, Anunzis81 said:

Hi Guys

As the tile says, I am putting a 2001 m54b30 manual into a 1998 318 ti which had manual auto.

I have two issues with the driveshafts. The auto gearbox was longer than the auto, hence, the auto driveshaft is short (#1). Also, the coupling between the e36 driveshaft and the e46 gearbox is different issue (#2).

Since I still have the e46's driveshaft, my plan was to have the front half od the e46 chopped to size and welded to the front half of the e36 (also chopped), so I can match both the lenght and the spline, but since they come balanced, that's when I am hesitant. 

What do you guys say?

Other thing, how do you separate the two ends of the e36 (looks like e30 design) halves of the driveshaft. It doesn't have the 18mm bolt right next to the U joint so I am guessing the only way is to remove the U joint itself, is that correct?

Cheers

I’m doing basically this in my M54b30/ZF e30 (which from memory has the same driveshaft style as the 318ti).

Im supplying driveshaft specialties the front section of my e30 and e46 auto driveshaft.

They’re cutting the front flange off the e46 one so I can run the larger 6 cyl guibo and the rear section from the e30 so I can still use the e30 centre bearing.

There will be new pipe welded in the middle at the correct length and then balanced.

HTH

Re removal, there’s a large nut on the driveshaft which you undo then the 2 sections slide apart.

2 hours ago, modz said:

I’m doing basically this in my M54b30/ZF e30 (which from memory has the same driveshaft style as the 318ti).

Im supplying driveshaft specialties the front section of my e30 and e46 auto driveshaft.

They’re cutting the front flange off the e46 one so I can run the larger 6 cyl guibo and the rear section from the e30 so I can still use the e30 centre bearing.

There will be new pipe welded in the middle at the correct length and then balanced.

HTH

yeah, seems that that will be the way to go as both have a 60mm diameter and then the bigger part yes, it is different. Will mount the engine again, measure again to make sure I am in the right place and then chop and weld. 

Question about the gearbox crossmember, what did you do? did you need to build a new one?

Thanks

In case you guys were wondering, 620 nzd GST inclusive to chop and weld the front half and balance.

Cheers

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Anunzis81 said:

In case you guys were wondering, 620 nzd GST inclusive to chop and weld the front half and balance.

Cheers

Where abouts was this done?

13 hours ago, modz said:

Where abouts was this done?

with the guys from Driveshaft NZ in 323 Church Street. The ones in the north shore told they take them there so, easier to deal directly with them.