Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

N55 Charge pipe Hand Grenade

So I was helping Boytie with a Stage 1 MHD tune on his 2014 M135i. Everything went very smoothly and as we took it for its first run there was a pop sound and warning flashed up on the screen. A quick look under the bonnet revealed that the factory charge pipe had exploded where it meets the MAF. Now I know N54s are notorious for it but was surprised that a basic stage 1 tune would pop it, especially on a low km vehicle.  Anyway I am looking for a charge pipe, any recommendations on who might have one in NZ? Poor old Mark has to slob it in my Toyota until I get it sorted.  

20200126_192224.jpg

No one should be upping the boost on their n54/55's without upgrading charge pipe first. The pipes have gone even on stock tunes. 
Best bet is trademe if you want one without waiting for overseas shipping 

• Like 1

I bought one from Ali Express for my n54, was cheap and quality was good.

Have had it on the car for over 5000km's and no issues so far.

I still dont know how my Stage2+ N54 was running the stock charge pipe.... Obviously had all the hopes and dreams.

I have my OEM N54 chargepipe from when I took it out. Around 40,000kms on it. No idea if it would fit but let me know if you want it :) 

N55 chargepipes are notorious for blowing, even on factory setup, and often with as little as 30-50k on the clock.

To the point it became one of those 'expect to have to fix it under warranty' issues for new buyers.

Mine blew just with the BMW PPK tune. And nobody in NZ had a replacement in stock at the rime, stock or aftermarket...

The CPE/BMS one is good. Make sure to get the o-ring too if the original disappeared when it blew. And c-clip if you lost that. Mine was resting on an undertray panel behind the engine. 

Thanks all,  I found one at https://www.nzperformancetuning.co.nz Looks to be well made, comes with a new clip just in case the old one isn't on the under-tray. Having blown the CP on my N54 335i I am well aware of charge pipe weakness what surprised me is that on the F20's the pipe is different and supposedly upgraded and is also used on the M2 so i thought it might be a bit stronger, apparently not.  Anyway will fit it tomorrow and get the boost back. 

• Like 2

im looking at replacing mine soon. Did you have any problems with the one you bought?