Sign in to follow this  
m325i

2020 Airbag recall - again?

Saw this on the US forum. WTF?

Apparently applies to cars that had the inital recalls done too?

Passenger Front Air Bag Module
Safety Recall 20V-018
BMW 3 Series
Model Year 2000-2006
Initial: 1/15/2020

Need to get mine checked, VIN / plate does not appear on the check website but I had the airbag out a few weeks ago and it is a Takata one.

2001 330ci.

10 hours ago, Sammo said:

...VIN / plate does not appear on the check website...

Forgive my ignorance, which site is this?

Update on this, although my car rego or vin didn't come up on the government recall site, and its build date is after what I've seen in articles, I spoke with BMW this morning who advised it will definately need a passenger airbag replacement and possibly drivers. 

Booked in for Friday. 

Worth giving them a bell for any E46 owner I think, they must be getting swamped! 

1 minute ago, Sammo said:

Update on this, although my car rego or vin didn't come up on the government recall site, and its build date is after what I've seen in articles, I spoke with BMW this morning who advised it will definately need a passenger airbag replacement and possibly drivers. 

Booked in for Friday. 

Worth giving them a bell for any E46 owner I think, they must be getting swamped! 

Have you had the previous recalls done? I have been in for two recalls already. This sounds like it is a further recall. Is that your understanding too?

2 minutes ago, m325i said:

Have you had the previous recalls done? I have been in for two recalls already. This sounds like it is a further recall. Is that your understanding too?

No recalls to date in my ownership - 2001 330ci...

Not sure, I always thought it related to drivers airbag, so possibly the passenger is the new recall? 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, m325i said:

I've previously had both replaced

US article so possibly does not apply but talks about an initial temporary fix done? 

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/bmw-recalls-cars-and-suvs-to-replace-faulty-airbags-again/

17 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Is this the one BMW Australian has been buying back E46s over? 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/810298/bmw-takata-buybacks/

Very odd - appears to be, but I also saw this article late last year with BMW NZ indicating it only impacted AU cars:

https://www.driven.co.nz/news/news/bmw-nz-confirms-local-3-series-models-not-affected-by-takata-recall/

Contrasting with the guy from BMW who called me this morning, proactively, (I half completed an online form in the weekend) looking to book me in ASAP for potentially both front airbags... although I've only had the car since August 2019, I have not received any letters.

The driven article states “The Takata safety recall is limited to certain BMW E46 3 Series built between November 1997 and June 2000. These vehicles were built for the Australian market only.”

Mine is a June 2001 build, imported from Japan in 2006...

At least once done, my 20 year old car will have brand new airbags!

Update, dropped car this morning at BMW (huge brand new Continental dealership on Wairau Road). 

They replaced the passenger airbag but drivers airbag is on backorder so will need to get that done at later date. 

Fantastic service I must say, gave my car a vacuum and hand wash (was pretty clean anyway) and even got a call from one of the techs who was extremely complimentary and wanted to buy my car ?

Cleared my unrelated airbag light as well ?