Sign in to follow this  
Rolly.a31

M3 convertible vs coupe

Hi im just wanting to know if there is any differences between the m3 convertible and coupe cheers 

Edited by Rolly.a31

Yes, lots, regardless of the model. About the only things the same is the stuff in front of the A pillar, assume the rest is different.

The other thing that's important to note is that convertibles are fat, heavy and flexible. BMW should never have put an M3 badge on the back of them. ?

• Like 2

Haha fat heavy and flexible 

Don't sound that appealing 

What about the rear sub frames lsd suspension and arm etc. 

Underneath is all pretty much the same... convertibles use different spring rates, that's about it.

Are you talking e36 or e46?

Apart from the extra bracing and stiffening in the body, yeah. It still doesn’t make up for chopping the top off.

Folding hard tops are even worse, warmer to drive in winter, but heaps more weight and still pretty flexible - even with the top up!

’verts for cruising and driving in a straight line, Coupes for the twisties.

I've only driven one e46 M3 Convertible - to be fair, it was not a great example, but it was quite rattly around the front screen (scuttle shake), and noticeably slower than the M3 coupe. I'm not sure if the lack of go was due to the additional weight that the convertibles are burdened with, or if it was specific to this car. It was quite disappointing. The 3 or 4 e46 M3 Coupes that I have driven have been excellent by comparison.

I agree that BMW should never been allowed to make a M3 'vert - much like Porsche shouldn't have been allowed to make a convertible 911!