Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

First M car, M5 seems the right choice

After looking at a million options and different replacements for the Merc, we’ve settled on our first M car.

Taking into account we wanted a rapid tourer that could do light daily easy driving it seemed a later car with adaptive suspension/ steering etc would best suit.

My wife is not that tall and finds any 3 series too low in the seat, she likes to see the end the bonnet and the F series is just to low for her to be happy, interestingly the latest 3 is ok in this regard but really for the spec we want out of price range.

Getting another 7 is just two big in F01 range and the F10 is about right considering we are moving from an E class.

Next issue was engine, N63 V8 seemed like it would hand grenade at the look of a late oil change. And even if you got a good one, resale would be utter garbage. Wife didn’t want a diesel, couldn’t change that.
535i option, good balance of power,price, poise, however vehicle specs are generally pretty piss poor and not at same 550 level we really want. Probably get bored with it.

Looked Audi S6 which are very nice but decided when the right F10 car came along we might get really interested. E class was more of what we had and that is a good car but we’re selling the E550 because it lacks a really driving connection so anything but a E63 was out and they are too similar to the 550 for me.

E60 M5 was an option, yes they have problems but so do all M/ performance cars one way or another. Find the right one it would be an awesome car. Ultimately the lack of adaptive suspension, it’s transmission change and overall tech age made the extra cost of the F10 worthwhile to us.

Had ‘our’ M5 come up late last week at Auckland BMW, just traded. Promising look of spec, and mileage (80k), looked black in the pics but is metallic Blue (Imperial-Blau brilliant metallic (A89)). On first seeing we where happy to see the colour of the car outside in sunlight. Lovely metallic fleck. 

Its a one owner NZ New, BMW full service history car. Less then 80k would have been nice but the provenance to me was more important overall. Previous owner had a E39 M5 prior to this and traded up to a new M5, condition is extremely good, clearly looked after.

Here’s some pics from the ad, more to come at pickup tomorrow ?.

Let the fun begin. 

Some of the options:

soft close doors, electric boot, heated and cooled front seats with full comfort and bolster adjustment, surround view cameras, big arse engine ? with 560 odd horses 

4729B42E-5B14-4662-B7C4-8FE7135D411A.jpeg

A380E04F-75A5-477D-B4BF-86DBF1213F73.jpeg

31ECB370-07CF-4152-BA46-3D1C315527F8.jpeg

EFB1936B-AB8F-4010-97EA-F49DC336FC6A.jpeg

FC089F27-ED1E-4C1F-8ADF-B11FA81254E2.jpeg

5874CD2C-26B5-4D92-86A2-146FB1FF98CE.jpeg

5EDE60CB-62B1-4624-834A-99301CC98BB7.jpeg

0C3523CB-0CDF-494C-8AF0-66B0871B2687.jpeg

C8FC4B47-1954-49B4-91A4-047A2EFCF5DE.jpeg

B1BECA6C-6709-43BD-AB6C-52E777E8E074.jpeg

A754871B-2223-4A90-AFE5-1433D9E3092D.jpeg

F3AA0586-926B-4155-8617-C05D31638D05.jpeg

5F3CED9E-2E78-4D8C-85AF-ECE3D58A35A7.jpeg

• Like 16

So cool and you wont be wiping those smiles off your faces! congrats!

• Like 1

Cause: "Honey, we need a new family car."

Consequence: F10 M5

Can I marry your wife too?

• Haha 4

Good for you!

We have the same colour on our F11 and it's a great colour but i feel the quality of the paint is a bit poor.  It's super easy to scratch and swirl and is a mungrel to keep clean.

12 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Beauty! Bringing it along on Sunday?

Yip will be there Sunday, the fella with the massive smile ? 

10 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Good for you!

We have the same colour on our F11 and it's a great colour but i feel the quality of the paint is a bit poor.  It's super easy to scratch and swirl and is a mungrel to keep clean.

Yeah it looks that way, probably typical Bmw paint job 

Good man - no going back from M now!    Looks like a well maintained weapon!

• Like 2

Few ks down and it’s amazing power delivery from what we’ve experienced before.
so far no majors, no creaks and groans, just a few fuel stops...

although averaging 13.5 l/100 we just went down to Hampton downs and back, overall 11l/100. Road holding and capability is off the charts.

loving having a modern HUD, definitely great for speed checking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NUSTAD said:

Good man - no going back from M now!    Looks like a well maintained weapon!

It does feel like I’ve checked in to a lifetime lighter wallet yeah well gotta spend it on something ?

Update required.  Are the charms of M getting under the skin?   Have you given it the jandal and loved the brutality......are you addicted to giving it a bootful.  Is it treating you right?

• Like 1

Hitting 6k already, how’d that happen?

Couple of good runs for sure, Turangi pre lockdown, New Plymouth post lockdown. Just me and the M5 on that one, ? bash Mt messenger into submission.

God damn thing is a beast when you unleash it, just pulls and pulls. only issue to date is the iDrive reset itself a couple of times on the run, it’s only CIC so likely I’ll update it at some stage anyway.

After having non M V8s I can see where the money goes for the difference, it’s just unfortunate that you can only explore those limits too stupid crazy speeds. 

Give it the full jandel passing on the open road, ALWAYS fires the traction control up, on P zeros and will move to pilot sports when needed, which probably won’t be long ... 

Coded the stupid fed sound into the cabin out as well, it is pretty quiet but suits on long trips. I’d love more noise but ultimately it’s a five, it should define subtle power, I think it does that pretty good ?
Off to Welly Friday, then the club run to castlepoint so feels like a service is coming, thosefront rotors are looking a little warn too ....... ?

Best keep driving the i3 to pay for it ? all. Well it’s only money ? 

• Like 3

Oh and got a X1 for the boss to try save some miles, Jans uses any excuse to drive it as well. Hide the M5 behind it ? on garage duty

57B06B54-7EBB-4EE4-8DFA-162B0D09CEE4.jpeg

Edited by Breaker
  • Like 1

Time for a plate change, went slim on front, not sure. Really need to see the front in the light.

Euro look is definitely better and a bit of double meaning in the plate ?

5B57F535-860D-4461-A1F1-84D7813CE82D.jpeg

AFF0C2C2-56FC-4C0A-823B-CA90D028A5AC.jpeg

• Like 8

90800ks service.
Continental Cars, $1440, CEL was on as a lean mix, thought it was a vacuum leak, smoke tested and not. MAF sensor clean and cleared, we shall see.. drives ok, had maybe a slightly rough idle.

Includes micro filter at $270 + and a wheel alignment. Could have been worse ?

32 minutes ago, balancerider said:

CEL on  BMW V8's is a feature, not a bug right? ?

New ambient lighting feature ?

• Haha 1