Sign in to follow this  
nzsapper

Help, What is this noise

20200201_093550.thumb.jpg.c9b3d065523f229b86b5f2db502ecadd.jpgAfternoon all, after recent engine work, some vanos seals done , I have strange noise coming from the engine.

I only noticed the noise this morning on start without the radio going, sorry recording isnt giving a very good representation of noise, to me it sounds like air or somethings broken. I have not noticed any issues with performance or the like. 

Picture is another piece of poor workmanship I found this morning from this one job.

Going into workshop on Monday re the poor work and hoping this is noise is a simple fix that is related to head off and vanos seals done.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Cheers

20200201_093550.jpg

Edited by nzsapper
updating

Hard to guess without it being pinpointed to an area. Does it change when revved? Maybe check the fan clutch\blades. 

Yeah recording isn't a very good comparison compared to actual, as for the where its coming from, at first I thought it was to lower rear engine, definitely engine block level vs being higher in the engine.

To be honest I m probably asking too much for someone to guess

The noise is faint until hood is lifted and that is when you hear a noise likened to a some vacuum issue but then at the same time you could say its a knock (hope not).

Will try your suggestion.

Thanks

Yes noise repetition increases with rpm

Took it to BMW, they also said it sounds like a vacuum issue, taking it back tonight to leave it there so they can have a proper poke around tomorrow.

It looks like the photo is showing one of the rubber seals under the bolt is on the piss, and is that a whole lot of sealant slathered under the gasket?! None of that will be helping. Get rid of the sealant, a new gasket shouldnt need any except in the corners near the vanos unit, and all the bolts need to be tightened and sealed or there could be a vacuum leak from the rocker cover.

Also check the spark plugs are tight....

• Like 1

Was the work done by the dealership?

If so, that is terrible workmanship, and will have you questioning what else they got wrong.

• Like 1

I agree with Kelvin... that rocker cover is unlikely to be sealed and will a) spit out a lot of oil and b) sound like a vacuum cleaner. Take it back.

If they've used sealant around the entire perimeter, or anywhere other than the joins in the alu then you'll probably need a new gasket. All of those rubber seals on the bolts are also meant to be replaced at the same time.

• Like 2

Back Story

Car went in for leaking Vanos in Nov, car all done early Dec

• parts ordered ex Germany, car went back two weeks later, 
  • hadn't ordered enough seals according to second mechanic, wait another 10 days seals arrived car put back together, not done well, car doesn't even leave shop new parts ordered
  • got car back, sealant all over valve cover and streaks running down windscreen and wing mirror (suspect detergent left to dry on glass) cant get this off
  • Taken back yesterday re noise 

So far wksp  have been excellent and have said everything will be repaired, including windscreen/mirror

When showing the head mechanic the broken seal, it completely broke off and wasn't too impressed  by workmanship and said it will all need to be redone.

Funny you mention oil - I swear I can smell hot oil  every now and again

I will keep you all posted

Edited by nzsapper
update
  • Sad 1

Bugger ☹️  Hope they are sorting it at their expense. Without naming is this a dealership who did the work?

timely reminder for me as mine is going to local dealership tomorrow for a minor issue. I will be asking them to be very careful not to damage anything when they are working on it. And din’t let the apprentice near it ?. These are becoming classics so care is needed!

Hope it all gets sorted!

Yes  dealer, we have chat about cost as I got the feeling it wont be issue by the language they were using. I

Edited by nzsapper
update
  • Like 1

Diagnosis in

Spark plug two and five loose, tightened noise gone. The also noticed plugs were old and most of the throttle body caps are brittle, apparently the caps issue will cause the car to run lean?. Of course I have no idea on that 

As both myself and wksp have no record of plugs being done I'm getting the plugs done and replacing the throttle body caps.

I'm happy enough with that as it doesn't appear to be last job related

Edited by nzsapper

2 hours ago, nzsapper said:

Spark plug two and five loose, tightened noise gone.

Called it.

Glad its sorted, but I wouldnt be happy to use them again with workmanship like that. They likely removed the plugs to do the vanos (makes engine a lot easier to turn engine over to get into the right place), so its on them for not torquing them up properly.

Edited by KwS
  • Like 5

Lastest round of work, do I have OCD or is the finishing work of the gasket considered acceptable?. Plus since last repair I have an intermittent smell of fuel in the cabin, apparently there was a clip on the fuel rail not do up properly and if it wasn't that then its most likely the fuel line that runs under the back seat. Pretty much over these guys, if its not one thing its another, time I learnt how to do this work myself I think, unless someone can recommend a competent mechanic for a 93 m3 in Palmerston Nth

gas 1_n.jpg

gas 2 n.jpg

gas 3_n.jpg

That gasket is still not seated properly in the front above that sensor, it should be flush and not sticking out. There is still about 600% too much sealant slathered everywhere too. The gasket can be very fiddly, but any competent person with eyes and fingers could fit it without issue. Im not sure what other engine work you had done, but in neither of the S50s ive done the vanos on have I had to touch the fuel rail.

I wouldn't be using them again.

I have also just noticed, in the original post, 3rd photo down, it looks like one of your vacuum caps on the throttle body balance ports is broken off?

Edited by KwS

Cheers Kelvin appreciated the feedback- all the vacuum caps just got replaced this time around, they picked up on it as they had become brittle.

Its sad when you a had an excellent  relationship with a firm for the last 5yrs , where all work has been done to the highest standard or "do it once do it right " has been the culture, then all of a sudden it starts to slide downhill. 

If it weren't for  the excessive sealant you'd probably be able to loosen the cam cover bolts and push the gasket back into place but I'm not sure I'd risk it with that much crap spread around.

Get it hot, take it for a good long run and check for leaks... if it doesn't leak it may be "good enough" until you want/need to lift that cover again in the future. What you can't see is the spark plug gaskets... lord only knows how well they did those or how much crap they put on them... pull the plugs in 500 km's and check for oil.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Plus, unless its been helicoiled, each time those rocker cover bolts are loosened off, they might not go back in again >_<

Yes, mine is evidence of that. Indeed, the next time I have to take it off I'll get a jig made up to ensure a perfect 90* and then do the rest of mine. I've done two so far, one is perfect, I reckon the other is about 89/91*.