Sign in to follow this  
e88dood

Do many of you have 3rd party warranties?

I'm looking into this due to ppl grumbling about N43 engine reliability so am looking to get a 2-3yr warranty on a 120i 2010 w/47,000 kms.  Wondering if many here have extended warranties and are happy.  Have your claims on any major N43 breakdowns been met satisfactory?

dealer is offering 24-36 month (on top of my 12 months at purchase) for $1695-$1895 (underwritten by provident insurance) and excess of $400, unlim kms

based on internet discussion of this engine, many things might need work costing a huge amount (new injectors, timing chain blowout, etc).  So I feel it would be crazy not to go for this.  Assuming what major faults I encounter will be honoured by said warranty.

I wouldn't mind hearing from some N43 owners who have had very little trouble, because the more I go online the more paranoid I get.  At present car runs great.  I don't drive the car hard, very chill with it and I plan on maintaining it to a high level.  Main use is to work and back (10mins each way) and the odd errand.  Is it possible those having huge problems are racing around and pushing this engine super hard?  If well maintained and baby'd are they still faulty as hell?

Depends if you fancy yourself a gambler. When we bought our E91 (N52B25), we went with a 3 year 3rd party mechanical cover by the well known company (can't recall the name). Looking back I wish we risked it. We've had to have it serviced by a recognised workshop that foots a bill of around $400 annually. The servicing is average at best and only the oil + filter is changed. On top of that you have the initial cost ~$1500 + excess $400. Over the 3 years you'll roughly spend $2700 on the above not incl excess if you claim. I've had to replace all the coils (at separate times), cam cover gasket and starter. These jobs weren't big enough to justify claiming and paying excess so are on top of the $2700. We won't be renewing the cover, hopefully that doesn't bite me... Touching wood. 

On 2/1/2020 at 11:34 PM, Cammsport said:

Depends if you fancy yourself a gambler. When we bought our E91 (N52B25), we went with a 3 year 3rd party mechanical cover by the well known company (can't recall the name). Looking back I wish we risked it. We've had to have it serviced by a recognised workshop that foots a bill of around $400 annually. The servicing is average at best and only the oil + filter is changed. On top of that you have the initial cost ~$1500 + excess $400. Over the 3 years you'll roughly spend $2700 on the above not incl excess if you claim. I've had to replace all the coils (at separate times), cam cover gasket and starter. These jobs weren't big enough to justify claiming and paying excess so are on top of the $2700. We won't be renewing the cover, hopefully that doesn't bite me... Touching wood. 

Can you expand why did you not claim on the starter motor and cover gasket? Starter motor itself is worth alot more that your excess!

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Can you expand why did you not claim on the starter motor and cover gasket? Starter motor itself is worth alot more that your excess!

I bought a 2nd hand starter as a part of my trouble shooting (I didn't want to pay the $300 excess if it ended up being something inexpensive) and the gasket happened at another time and another excess. Same thing with coils. 

the easy answer is if you are handy with tools and a keen DIYer then you can risk not getting the warranty and have that money spent on maintenance instead. As Cam said, often overlooked is the minimum requirements in order to be eligible for the warranty which means a big service bill every year when all they do is just a oil and filter using who knows what. Some mechanical insurance companies also require a transmission service within 3 months of the warranty in order to protect themselves. this is easily a $500-1000 bill.

then you take into account each excess for any potential claim and you are well into the $3-4000 mark over the course of 3 years in minimum outlay.

In saying that, because the potential issues with the N43 is quite big and expensive, it may still be a good idea to get it for peace of mind, especially if you are planning to rely on a shop to maintain the car, that way you have no responsibility for the cars health and just pay a fixed cost that you are aware in order to maintain it.

Slightly different for CAM because the N52B25 is a much more reliable engine and those parts he mentioned are considered (to me anyway) normal wear and tear items, that are not significant enough to claim warrant in most cases. especially if you are able to source secondhand parts or overseas and fit yourself saving a big portion of the cost of the labour.

sorry, didnt end up being an easy answer at all haha

• Like 1

Murphy's law: if you bought it, you're probably not going to use it. If you didn't buy it, you'll be kicking yourself. 

Personally, i purchased a mechanical warranty for my X3 when i bought it 6 years ago due to being scared of all the electronics. I didn't end up using it at all.

Keep in mind that mechanical warranties often do not cover any serviceable items - e.g. leaking shock absorbers, leaking gaskets, etc...

I love the car so much I def think I'll have it for at least 4yrs, so will prob get the 3yr extended to bring me to 4yrs.  Does Provident 3yrs unlim kms $1,895 sound right?  No idea if I'm getting ripped off a bit.

18 minutes ago, e88dood said:

I love the car so much I def think I'll have it for at least 4yrs, so will prob get the 3yr extended to bring me to 4yrs.  Does Provident 3yrs unlim kms $1,895 sound right?  No idea if I'm getting ripped off a bit.

Thats a standard price for 3 years coverage, not getting ripped with at that price

That price sounds about right. I'd ring Autosure though just to see what they charge. Initial cost is one thing, but willingness to pay out is another. I had a mechanical warranty with Protecta and it was like pulling teeth to have the broken timing chain covered on a VQ Nissan engine. Ended up being a battle lasting over 6 months, threatening lawyer/CGA action, reports on timing chain longevity etc etc. Apparently (I think there was a thread on here) Autosure are more inclined to accept claims.

Thanks all.  I ended up with the Provident one from the dealer.  I have 4yrs coverage in total.  It's an interesting set up as the dealer gave me 1yr and this 3yr one starts when that one ends.  So the 1 year could possibly be like a trial.  If they wrongfully fail to payout in my first year, then I will try my best to have the other 3yr contract which hasn't started, to be cancelled (maybe that is futile but could get a lawyer mate involved).  I have gone through the fine print so I don't get caught out.  Just had a reputable euro shop do full service, the works, and will have all of the policies requirements signed off in the booklet for this service and keep invoices.

32 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

That price sounds about right. I'd ring Autosure though just to see what they charge. Initial cost is one thing, but willingness to pay out is another. I had a mechanical warranty with Protecta and it was like pulling teeth to have the broken timing chain covered on a VQ Nissan engine. Ended up being a battle lasting over 6 months, threatening lawyer/CGA action, reports on timing chain longevity etc etc. Apparently (I think there was a thread on here) Autosure are more inclined to accept claims.

Protecta are one of the worst ones I've dealt with as a repairer. Provident and Autosure are the best in my opinion. And priced the same for coverage

43 minutes ago, e88dood said:

Thanks all.  I ended up with the Provident one from the dealer.  I have 4yrs coverage in total.  It's an interesting set up as the dealer gave me 1yr and this 3yr one starts when that one ends.  So the 1 year could possibly be like a trial.  If they wrongfully fail to payout in my first year, then I will try my best to have the other 3yr contract which hasn't started, to be cancelled (maybe that is futile but could get a lawyer mate involved).  I have gone through the fine print so I don't get caught out.  Just had a reputable euro shop do full service, the works, and will have all of the policies requirements signed off in the booklet for this service and keep invoices.

Congrats on the purchase and hopefully you never have to use the warranty! 

2 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

Congrats on the purchase and hopefully you never have to use the warranty! 

Thanks, hope so as well.  2010 with 46,000kms and super tidy, full blown service showed no concerns at this stage.

garaged.png.c6557547e82be28ef79b8218ca02552a.png

• Like 2

I work at a dealership. it's almost a requirement here all european cars be sold with a mechanical warranty. apart from extra profit off the warranty, so if anything goes wrong, we're covered as well.

from an owner's perspective though, it's always best to invest time and money into your own DIY know how can do... if you plan on a long term ownership and want to save money.

bmws are endless money pits lol and a lot of problems are either not covered by the warranty or not worth making a claim