Hi Guys, 

I just bought my first wagon (2008 Msport 320i) and wanting to make a couple changes.

1. Wheels:

I have purchased a new set of 19 x 8.5 inch m3 wheels with a set of 225/35/R19 tires (rims centre bore hole is 72.6mm)  only to find out wagons generally run a staggered fitment so my rims at the rear may sit too far in the guards and therefore cause issues or just straight up look bad. I love the wheels so thinking I can buy a pair of these exact 25mm adapters to address the issue. https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/other/listing/2504454179

Will these adapters fit properly without vibrating and be able to be certified? Will I need locator rings? 

2. Suspension:

I am wanting to lower it as much as possible but without rubbing etc (I don’t mind rolling guards)so will adjusties work in this case if the above is completed? If I did adjusties and got certed does anyone know how low I can go legally if I get it certed due to camber angle restrictions etc? Or is it better to go with an alternative like super lows? 

Sorry for large post guys but just want to get some help on this before I spend waste time / money on mods that can’t be done/certed! 

Thanks for your time! 

Adam, I am not sure you will get too many responses here on going super low as most of the guys here are more focussed on handling and if you go super low you will probably make it handle worse than stock. If all you want is the dropped in the weeds look then I amsure mag and tubo or one of those shops can roll the guards for you. I have a 335i and having the rear any lower than the tyre at guard level starts to compromise handling. From memory wheel spacers will require a cert and if not certed could possibly invalidate your insurance. 

Spacers MUST be certed or they are illegal and insurance is void.

Also, they need to be a specific type, check with your local certifier. Pretty sure you can’t get slip ons certed so need to be bolt on.

18 hours ago, OUTLAW———-xx said:

I have purchased a new set of 19 x 8.5 inch m3 wheels with a set of 225/35/R19 tires (rims centre bore hole is 72.6mm)  only to find out wagons generally run a staggered fitment so my rims at the rear may sit too far in the guards and therefore cause issues or just straight up look bad.

this doesnt tell enough info to know if it will fit properly.

what we need to know is the offset of the wheels. if the offset is around 30-40 then it will be fine.

if the offset is around 20 then it will stick out so will need guards rolled and still might not fit

if the offset is around 50 then you might need spacers but then you need a cert

1 hour ago, qube said:

this doesnt tell enough info to know if it will fit properly.

what we need to know is the offset of the wheels. if the offset is around 30-40 then it will be fine.

if the offset is around 20 then it will stick out so will need guards rolled and still might not fit

if the offset is around 50 then you might need spacers but then you need a cert

Hi qube, Thanks for the response. the wheels I have are 38mm offset. Are you saying I won’t need adapters or spacers at all even if I was to lower it with aftermarket suspension?  Just got told from mag warehouse the wheels will sit too far under guards?

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Spacers MUST be certed or they are illegal and insurance is void.

Also, they need to be a specific type, check with your local certifier. Pretty sure you can’t get slip ons certed so need to be bolt on.

Hi Rag-Top, thanks for you input! Was thinking of buying the ones In the link above which are bolt on and are made of T6 aluminium - which after some googling seem to be the right material for certification. 

5 hours ago, OUTLAW———-xx said:

Hi qube, Thanks for the response. the wheels I have are 38mm offset. Are you saying I won’t need adapters or spacers at all even if I was to lower it with aftermarket suspension?  Just got told from mag warehouse the wheels will sit too far under guards?

Funny that. I thought wheels were supposed to sit under the guards!! ? 

nah but seriously, the wheels should fit no problem as in it will bolt and and you can drive without worrying it will hit the inner strut or whatever. But if you want “flush” “stance” fitment then it wont work well. 
you will need around 10-15mm spacer for the rear maybe more. The best thing to do is to put the wheels on and see how many mm’s further out you want it then get the spacers. Then the problem will be whether your tyres will scrape on the guards since you want to go low. 

you can either have the wheels “tucked” under the guards and go very low (old school style)

or you can go “flush/stance” which means the rim of the wheels will be level with the guard lip. But this means your tyres will need to be stretched so it goes on a slant in order to fit under the guard easier. Your problem here is that the wheels are only 8.5” wide so you cant stretch tyres easily unlike a 9 or 9.5” wheel. 

Pretty sure all M3 wheels are staggered so you must have a set of copies??

I have an E91 335i LCI and I have a set of Breyton 8.5" +35 235/35/19 (front) and 9.5" +30 265/30/19 (rear) which sit nicely!

I had to trim the rear inner guard liner, but apart from that, no issues.