Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Going back to the E36

As some of you will know I bought a really tidy E36 328i recently and I have managed to clock up a few miles in it now and have thoroughly enjoyed going back a few generations. Firstly I have to say the car is one of the tidiest E36s I have seen for a long time but under the skin what really makes it special is the service history and attention to detail that previous owners have lavished on it. This is my 5th E36 and the only one where everything works and nothing needs attention, they are no squeaks, rattles or untoward noises and it comes as a bit of a revelation as all my others need work. The car does have a Jatco but the dreaded flaring and Jatco jerk are absent, perhaps because its a 98 and has the later TCU and again because it has been serviced. 

The steering is the first thing you notice, compared to my E92 its slow and slower again than my old E46 330ci. The feel however is pretty good and at highway speeds its far less noticeable and pretty accurate. The engine is a sweetie, with only 142kw its a long way behind the modded N54 in my E92 but the lack of turbo lag is pleasantly noticeable in comparison. Having spent a long time behind the wheel of a 330ci I can see why the M54 rotating assembly swaps are so popular and extra 30 odd kws and more torque would really make it come alive, I guess that's why the M3 was created. Chassis wise its all pretty stock M Sport on 16's so it can be steered with the throttle  when the ASC is turned off as the rear does not have an abundance of traction. The brakes are another area where the difference is noticeable, stopping power is quite good but initial feel is very soft, but I suspect some different pads and a brake bleed might improve things. 

Interior wise I always liked the E36 and with everything working its actually a nice place to be even though at 196cm I only just fit. My daughters like it as they think these is a bit more leg room in the back that the e92. 

My decision going forward revolves around leaving it as it is or doing what I see are useful modifications. If this were a NZ new car with a ZF Auto this would be a more difficult decision, that said the car was imported ex Japan by BMW NZ so leaving it as is and enjoying it as it was made is certainly an option. Firstly I am keen to manually convert it, the Jatco is a good one but a nice ZF manual would transform it I'm sure. Secondly the 16 inch wheels, while nice to look at would be retired from some style 24's or 32's if a nice set came up. A purple tag steering rack would seem to be a good investment as well. Whether I would fit an M54 rotating assembly is the hard one, very much in two minds over this one.  

328ci.jpeg

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 4

So classic... and yeah, those 16's are yuck.

Can do you a set of polished genuine 7.5" style 24's that'll look heaps better if you want. Can add NS2R semi-slicks or Pirelli road tyres for extra.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 12:10 AM, M3AN said:

So classic... and yeah, those 16's are yuck.

Can do you a set of polished genuine 7.5" style 24's that'll look heaps better if you want. Can add NS2R semi-slicks or Pirelli road tyres for extra.

Thanks for offer Dave but I really want a staggered set or maybe a set of 8's. 

• Like 1

I am selling staggered style 68s off an e46 msport if youre interested. 

1 hour ago, qube said:

I am selling staggered style 68s off an e46 msport if youre interested. 

Thanks mate but I really want 32's or 24's.

Sounds like you picked up a real beaut.

It's a shame more aren't like that. I might have enjoyed them.

There was a purple tag rack in the For Sale section a few weeks back. 

• Like 1

Purple tags come in e46 compact so if you are willing to pull one, then check out pick a part. Plenty of them pop up there

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gaz said:

Purple tags come in e46 compact so if you are willing to pull one, then check out pick a part. Plenty of them pop up there

Last time I went to Zebra i picked two racks from E46 compacts, used one and sold the other for cheap (quick sale) and so this mod didn't cost me anything. It took me 20 minutes to pull the first rack, and 8 to pull the second (already knew which tools required and how to get at the bolts). 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Statek said:

Last time I went to Zebra i picked two racks from E46 compacts, used one and sold the other for cheap (quick sale) and so this mod didn't cost me anything. It took me 20 minutes to pull the first rack, and 8 to pull the second (already knew which tools required and how to get at the bolts). 

The one I got for my car, someone had already pulled the engine, just spun it off the tie rod ends and gave it a wash

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just checked pick a part nothing at the moment but the toolbox gloves and overalls are ready to go.

• Like 3

Huge difference to steering feel, must do. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, qube said:

Set of apex arc8s 17x9 on tm. 
big $ tho 

Better off getting them out of the US. I saved about 600. And made money when I sold them a year later. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, qube said:

Set of apex arc8s 17x9 on tm. 
big $ tho

They certainly are nice looking wheels.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:14 AM, Herbmiester said:

Just checked pick a part nothing at the moment but the toolbox gloves and overalls are ready to go.

Not if I get there first as I’m back in the Hutt next week ?

Edited by Secniv
Addition
  • Like 1