Sign in to follow this  
DeeJax71

130i Suspension

Hi,

Could anyone help me identify what kind of suspension I have on this car, and also what suspension would you recommend I run on the car.\

TIA

84530581_1522186841267518_7731247067615461376_n.jpg

84682097_587753701774731_5223506029592969216_n.jpg

84812253_599709720576113_2942252988049129472_n.jpg

82474428_828575104237391_1750117474252095488_o.jpg

Stock M sport, it looks a little lower than normal though so likely just a little flogged out (bump stops look very dead)

I run Birds B1 dynamics (custom valved bilstiens with eibach springs and swaybar, and the qauife diff), with poly bushed everything, and M3 LCAs. Its pretty much perfect for NZ B roads, as its not over damped or sprung. Not cheap, but I would definitely get it again.

There is a really good suspension thread on one of the 1 series forums, where one guy changed suspension setup multiple times. Worth reading, it depends very much on what you want, cant search at the moment, but have a googles. 

Edited by Jacko

Yep, stock and riding too low but that's to be expected with age.

The thread Chris is referring to is this one (I think): https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Assuming you don't want coilovers the next best option is the Birds B1 setup I think but that can be pricey. I understand the best price/performance option is the Bilstein B12 kit (shocks and springs). I don't like the idea of the Koni setup with stock motorsport springs because of the springs but they are slightly adjustable.

Nice looking car, my favourite standard wheels for this and I'd get them in a heartbeat if they were 17's. Welcome.

Edited by M3AN

It depends what you want out of your car. Because it has the same suspension with some minor spring rate changes to the E90/92 series you can use that info as well. I went with Koni Yellows so I could get adjustable rebound damping and I am happy I did as I went with Tein springs that are very close in spring rate to M3 springs so stiffer than the usual H&R or Eibach options, My ride is quite firm now and I wouldn't want it any firmer. Quite often you can get a combo with springs and shocks Bilstein especially and the spring rate and the damping are supposedly matched, i noticed a bit of pogoing in my E92 so with the Konis I could add more rebound to settle it down. I have also gone with M3 control arms which up front will give you stiffer bushings and more camber. Stiffing up the rear has a downside and that is no factory LSD so getting the power down can be tricky, perhaps less so with a no turbo car. On a budget shocks are your first upgrade and the more affordable options are Koni STRT or Bilstein b4. Next up Koni Yellows and Bistein B6/B8. Factory M Sport springs are good for daily driving, touring and some sport work but stiffer lower springs can help if you are really getting after it. They will lower your car but with good shocks ride comfort will still be OK. Getting rid of run-flats helps a lot for ride. A bigger rear sway-bar is good but again without an LSD it is a limited upgrade. Also depending on the vehicle your suspension bushes may be flogged out, at 70k my rears were getting pretty loose. and the M3 rear arms gave my rear noticeably less movement. M3 front arms give noticeably more front end grip.

• Like 1