Sign in to follow this  
FIAT 131R

1995 E36 318is CRANK POSITION SENSOR

I have been looking using uncle Google for a video on replacing the crank position sensor on an E36 1995  318IS.     I have never seen such crap come up on any search .    It shows every thing EXCEPT what I am looking for .  If anyone knows of a video on step by step basis it would be much appreciated.  It's an M42 engine.    The search shows up heaps of stuff for E46 many engine options, E36 all big engines, heaps of sh*t for cam sensor replacement and the Pelican tech sheet for crank sensor replavement is really bad.  The comments on the Pelican stuff shows others share my comments about how useless it is.

Edited by FIAT 131R

Try newtis.info

Has most of the BMW repair instructions. It's not always clear but might help

• Like 1

What information are you looking for specifically?

I believe the M42 crank sensor runs off the crank pulley on the front of the engine (M44 CPS was moved to run off the flywheel).

Remove the bolt holding it in, follow the wire to the plug. If you can't get to the plug under the manifold, it takes 3 bolts to undo the top of the manifold. You may take off the throttle cable if you feel its in the way or you can flip the manifold and lay it on top of the engine.

Refit all components in reverse order.

I don't think there's much more to it.

The cam sensor is on the front of the engine and the crank sensor is under the manifold.    I was hoping there was a video to limit what I needed to remove to do the replacement.  The quality of the videos available for E36 are crap compared to the E46 videos by folks like the Fifties Kid  among others.  

That would be the M44 engine then not the M42

• Like 1

Not according to the vin decode Glen.  I will get a picture today and hopefully you could confirm for me please which engine I have.

6 minutes ago, FIAT 131R said:

Not according to the vin decode Glen.  I will get a picture today and hopefully you could confirm for me please which engine I have.

Give me the Vin  as well I'll check tomorrow. Picture of the front pulley as well if possible

Hi Glen.

WBABE62030JC07275 IS THE VIN

IMG_2196.jpg

Edited by FIAT 131R

According to ETK it is or should be the M42. The sensor should be on the front being triggered by the harmonic balancer pulley. Not obvious in the photo and from memory the AC compressor needs moving without degassing to get it out and plugs into the loom under the manifold.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Thanks Glen will look at the weekend.  I thought it was under the manifold.

Follow the wiring in the clipped on harness that runs over the thermostat housing, that will lead you to your sensor above the pulley 

As far as I can tell only US market m44 ran the sensor under the manifold. I've got a Jap market one here and have had an nz new one, both triggered off the pulley. 

I am yet to personally see an m5x or m4x in nz that triggers off the rear 

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

I am yet to personally see an m5x or m4x in nz that triggers off the rear 

Here's my M44B19 out of a Jap import '99 318ti:

image.thumb.png.313b14a6c4f78d5549cdb302644f684a.png

EDIT: I also have a picture of this engine side by side with an M44B19 removed from a NZ New 1997 318is with the crank sensor in the same location.

M42B18 (vane type AFM + metal thermostat housing) run from the crank pulley.

Edited by Statek

That's a spanner in the works 

Well, if it was placed there I would suggest access from under the car is the way 

Or just go from the top with skinny arms