Sign in to follow this  
coop

330e Hybrid

Has anyone had experience with these? 

Rated at 2.1l/100km combined. 

Normal 330 with the same 2.0 turbo petrol is rated to 5.5l/100km. 

What are these petrol engines, and other general 3 series components like for reliability/longevity? 

I guess its too early to tell how the battery/motor side of thing will stack up in the long run?

Do the fuel figures of both models hold up in the real world?

They look like good value for money. I guess this is what happens when the market shifts to horrible small SUVs and Utes that are used for duties a normal sedan/hatch can carry out 99% of the time. 

Currently doing around 1000km a week of mostly open road driving around the Waikato/BOP.

• Like 1

You won’t get close to those fuel economy figures with open road driving. The Plug in hybrids are heavily biased to short distance driving with a battery charge. You will probably get better economy in a 320i without 300kg of electric motor and battery added

• Like 2

Thought that might be the case. 
I was hopeful the batteries may aid in the stop start open road driving that is common around the provinces (like say SH1B Cambridge to Taupiri with many stop signs). Being an aid in getting the car back up to the speed limit, reducing the work and fuel burn of the petrol engine. 

It seems on one charge batteries will last for 20km. 

It's not so much the stop start but the overall length of the journey, lugging around the extra weight. I can't remember what the crosspoint is distance wise but I'm sure it's around somewhere. 

Have a look at the f30 320d, probably one of the best all rounders out there

Looked quiet hard at these. I would say you’ll get better then 320 open road fuel efficiency but only very slightly, due to the electric start stop and General Electric assistance. Performance top up Is the open road benefit with electric boost for power and passing.
Ultimately at town speeds yes beneficial if you can plug in and get a 20-30ks daily commute covered thereby hitting 2l calculated efficiency. Otherwise that’s all BS.

Overall a good one car option to a 335 giving performance and reduced fuel cost, with limited city PHEV range great if you do short commutes you’ll really save. Need to justify the cost against what a 335 and running that or for your long distances a diesel.

11 hours ago, coop said:

Has anyone had experience with these? 

Asks if anyone has experience, gets responses of people’s views and opinions. #gottalovetheinternets.

First question, which generation of 330e are you looking at, the F30 or the new G20? 

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Asks if anyone has experience, gets responses of people’s views and opinions. #gottalovetheinternets.

First question, which generation of 330e are you looking at, the F30 or the new G20? 

Hah, well I’m always open to different opinions. 
Budget will dictate the older F30. 

Diesel is not viable thanks to RUC. Currently have one that returns 5.5l/100 and it’s cheaper to run the other half’s 1.8 Corolla that returns 6l/100km. 

If I can find an old XM Citroen, 740 Volvo or W123 Benz in diesel I’ll buy one in a heart beat and not worry about RUC. 

1 minute ago, coop said:Diesel is not viable thanks to RUC. Currently have one that returns 5.5l/100 and it’s cheaper to run the other half’s 1.8 Corolla that returns 6l/100km. 

If this is your headspace why consider a BMW at all? I’m sure another brand of hybrid will be cheaper to run and service. 

The other thing to consider with hybrids is how the battery will age. Sometimes they do fail but at least (assuming the hybrid is like the i3) BMW do not have a totally integrated and sealed pack like some other makes and you can replace that. I believe some aftermarket warranties will cover that too.

• Like 1

Don't buy the 330e for long haul if you are doing those amount of k's get the 320d or 330d. Unsure if the 330e is a trans flush every 2nd oil change but the 535i hybrids were and a lot of people did not do that costing them a new trans and electric motor. On another note have been told the 330e is not very fuel efficient on long trips

I dont have personal experience of the 330e (but do of the I8 which is a similar hybrid) Autocar in the UK rate them highly, even on long range trips. 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/3-series/first-drives/2016-bmw-330e-iperformance-sport-review

Its worth noting that all of these hybrids regen when braking or coasting down hill, its not like on a long range trip you are only on combustion. Also "long range motorway driving" in NZ is kinda like extra urban driving everywhere else due to low speed and bends and hills and traffic. I think the 330e would be great here. 

The closing statement from Autocar is interesting:

Autocar: But all other things being equal, I’d happily take a 330e over a 330d or 330i. There’s a beguiling mix of refinement, economy, instant torque and operational range to the car’s performance that you won’t quite find in either of its rangemates. Somehow, the 330e leaves you with an impression eerily redolent of a mid-1990s E36 328i, that is of a smooth, torquey, fast, free-revving 3 Series that can be equally gutsy when needed but that knows new dimensions in economy and drivability.

Edited by Kodachrome

I used an F30 330e for a couple of weeks, mostly just short commuting to and from work with a couple of slightly longer trips thrown in. Without knowing exactly how your weekly distance is covered in terms of number and distance of trips and facilities to charge up in between, it is very hard to say how the fuel consumption will work out for you. When and where you have access to a charger is quite key, at home overnight (on cheap power), at work (free power?) or any other stop off point.

To be honest I spent a lot of time using the batteries as an "eBoost" to help with the acceleration for more performance rather than saving fuel. However, after a few days I did start to see how much fuel I could save and how little battery I could use and experimented between the various eDrive modes.

The key part to getting the most out of it is to change your driving style, in terms of how you accelerate (goldilocks - not too much, not too little) and using the coasting and braking to regenerate the battery as mentioned above - long slow braking up to a stop gives best results, rather than stomping on the anchors.

I was very keen to keep the 330e as it would have saved me quite a bit of money, however, I only got to use it for a couple of weeks. How it would work out for your useage can only really be shown by borrowing one for a week or two and trying it out..

I know this is a bit old, but I have an F30 330e one of these so can comment.

Fuel economy isn't anywhere near what they suggest, I will get somewhere between 5-6l per 100km with "normal" driving. This is summed up as some acceleration for fun and normal boring work driving. Electric range is 24km on a full charge.

The performance is acceptable, and it is nice and quiet as well. The big thing here will be whether you can charge at work. Then it might make more sense.

• Like 2

The electric range jumps up on the G20 330e due to the later generation of battery pack, real world I’m getting 45kms in stop start around town driving.

In another thread I mentioned I did a long trip - Akl to Napier - in the holidays, total of 415kms of which 75 was electric (not fully charged at the start only about 28km range) and average of 5.9ltr/100kms. Wasn’t an economy run either.

• Like 2

I have an F30 330e.  I live in Wellington and easily get to and from work on electric only.  The charge says 25kms which is about right.  We've had the car for 12 months and we've averaged 3.5l/100kms in that time which is very good.  These cars deliver their economy in city driving not open road.  Don't buy one thinking you're going to sub 3/100kms on the open road.  On trips we average about 5l/100kms

Edited by Muzza263
  • Like 1