Sign in to follow this  
Beast

M5 F10 MODEL

Wow are they really that bad!? Maybe should wait for a F90.

It might be the same.  A lot of the issue is unique M parts that are prone to fail so that every little issue costs a fortune.

A lot depends on the roll of the dice too.  Some cars will have no faults during 3 years of ownership and some will hardly leave the dealership without the CEL saying hello.

Should it stop you from owning one?  Not if it's something you WANT.  Just go in eyes open.  If it's just going to be something fancy to get you around and impress your friends then yeah you probably should look elsewhere.

• Like 1

A lot of people seem to have 'few' issues making sick power with these. 

But I have heard of someone in NZ with a 'melted turbo' with less than 20km

Bit of a shame really they are a very good looking car and very nice interior. Oh and pretty bloody quick.

Did a heap of research before we got ours, ultimately we went NZ New and there seems to be a few. Yes they have a few issues, but the motor is generally considered reliable, and no M car comes cheap, to run or maintain. Always go after full service records 

So far for us best damn thing we did. 

• Like 3

On 2/11/2020 at 9:53 PM, Beast said:

In process of buying one,any problems I should know.

One key thing to look for on these would be the running in service at 2,000kms. Needs to be done, and very close to the 2,000km mark.

F10 M5s are factory filled with a specific running-in oil in the engine and diff, which needs to be swapped for the long life at this point.

Should be listed in the iDrive records and/or the service book.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, Breaker said:

Did a heap of research before we got ours, ultimately we went NZ New and there seems to be a few. Yes they have a few issues, but the motor is generally considered reliable, and no M car comes cheap, to run or maintain. Always go after full service records 

So far for us best damn thing we did. 

Good man - sell the Merc or Jag?  Would like to hear more about the F10.  I picked up a NZ new F10 528i Motorsport with the six.  It’s no M5 but still a nice ride.  The M5 is a handsome devil......

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NUSTAD said:

Good man - sell the Merc or Jag?  Would like to hear more about the F10.  I picked up a NZ new F10 528i Motorsport with the six.  It’s no M5 but still a nice ride.  The M5 is a handsome devil......

Sold the Merc Glenn, Jag unfortunately went a while back, never should have bought a Singapore one. Another story .....

Here’s our thread,  the F10 is a mighty car,  to much smaller then the 7 to be fear. Great car with the 6 as well in Motorsport trim, better then a 550 with that V8

• Like 1

Seems ironic that the Motorsport-fettled S63 engine in the M5 is much more reliable than the donor N63 in the x50i models, from a quick look at the specs they seem to be very similar.