Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

Busted!

Lols he says little damage to the seat yet the car was written off.

Thats going to be one hard sell... Its probably worth  half what the asking price is...

Nsw stat laws basically write off any small damage. i wouldnt be worried about the damage/repair but the price needs to reflect the lower worth. 

typically i see heaps of aus imports being listed for 20-30% less than nz market value. 

I had a pre purchase inspection done on a bmw x3 a few years back at auckland BMW. I asked them to quote any recommended repairs and they sent me a quote for $19000 dollars.

$13,000 Was new headlining I sh*t you not, it was sagging and had nicotine stains. 

I imagine if they took it to the dealer they could have gotten an astronomical quote for fire damage and smoke contamination. 

Also if fire melted wiring it could have been quoted as whole new wiring loom for car when a wrecker could cut and splice. 

New main looms can have massive labour costs. 

3 hours ago, andrewm said:

$13,000 Was new headlining I sh*t you not, it was sagging and had nicotine stains. 

Surely you'd bet on that being a mistake. BMW NZ and their dealer network are complete rip-offs yes, but I'm sure $13k for a headliner can't be right.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M3AN said:

Surely you'd bet on that being a mistake. BMW NZ and their dealer network are complete rip-offs yes, but I'm sure $13k for a headliner can't be right.

I picked up the report in person, service tech confirmed it was 13k and not 1.3k. 

I think that might actually be better than the $3000 dollar quote I just got from MB for 2 control arms (not installed just parts). Its atleast a decent sized item and was an installed price.

Edited by andrewm

I assume it will appeal to MX 5 and Toyota 86 drivers, good handling but no power. Future classic well a 135i will be and maybe a 130i but a 325i debatable. 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:12 PM, Herbmiester said:

I assume it will appeal to MX 5 and Toyota 86 drivers, good handling but no power. Future classic well a 135i will be and maybe a 130i but a 325i debatable. 

N52B30 engine but 219hp. 0-100 7 sec tops out at 150mph. Be a nice little car in manual 6 speed, all sorts of nonsense you could do to get it to the 265hp of the 130i. Quite a few across the ditch, first one seen here in NZ and as previous comments say its more than a little spendy at the ask.

There's nothing on the Q&A now, and the listing makes no mention of the write-off...

I asked. Wonder if he realises that withholding that information from the person who purchases it is illegal. And that they are liable for up to 7 years. 

48 minutes ago, Driftit said:

I asked. Wonder if he realises that withholding that information from the person who purchases it is illegal. And that they are liable for up to 7 years. 

Are you sure, if so under what law? If it's been complied in New Zealand it's effectively been certified as "not written off". I don't think there's a disclosure duty here under NZ consumer law although I'm not as familiar with land transport and customs laws to which you may be referring.

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Are you sure, if so under what law? If it's been complied in New Zealand it's effectively been certified as "not written off". I don't think there's a disclosure duty here under NZ consumer law although I'm not as familiar with land transport and customs laws to which you may be referring.

To be honest I think I am recalling a court case rather than the law.  The Contract and Commercial Law Act protects the buyer to a limit against shifty people who mislead or falsify info.

In 2003 when the frontal impact laws changed and all the damaged cars started being tagged as such I think their was a case which involved a flood damaged car.  The owner found out 7 years (or thereabouts) afterwards and made a claim.  And won as the fact it was a flood damaged car was not disclosed and would have meant the car would not have been purchased.  I was importing damaged cars at the time.  And stopped shortly before the change.  Having it tagged like that would have killed any profit.

I will try and find it later.  I'm procrastinating my land purchase documentation atm.

But by not saying anything are you really misleading someone?  I guess it depends on what the buyer asks them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Driftit said:

To be honest I think I am recalling a court case rather than the law.  The Contract and Commercial Law Act protects the buyer to a limit against shifty people who mislead or falsify info.

In 2003 when the frontal impact laws changed and all the damaged cars started being tagged as such I think their was a case which involved a flood damaged car.  The owner found out 7 years (or thereabouts) afterwards and made a claim.  And won as the fact it was a flood damaged car was not disclosed and would have meant the car would not have been purchased.  I was importing damaged cars at the time.  And stopped shortly before the change.  Having it tagged like that would have killed any profit.

I will try and find it later.  I'm procrastinating my land purchase documentation atm.

But by not saying anything are you really misleading someone?  I guess it depends on what the buyer asks them.

Caveat Emptor I'm thinking at the moment. The car is of merchantable quality. Unlikely to find a home especially with the 135i prices falling thru the floor, along with a lot of other makes and models. Quite depressing seeing the same old cars being relisted everyday.

EDIT:Tagged on Import. Written Off (Fire Damage) also due the Takata  airbag recall too.

Report 5D997889 - LEG868 - 2013 BMW 125I in White _ CARJAM.html

Edited by Willy Sea
Addendum

So it really is your own fault if don't bother buying a report before purchasing the car.

30 minutes ago, Driftit said:

So it really is your own fault if don't bother buying a report before purchasing the car.

Its all on the interweb, all one would ever need to make an informed decision prior to committing to a purchase. Applies to real estate too of course?

On 2/27/2020 at 11:21 PM, Bandit said:

N52B30 engine but 219hp. 0-100 7 sec tops out at 150mph. Be a nice little car in manual 6 speed, all sorts of nonsense you could do to get it to the 265hp of the 130i. Quite a few across the ditch, first one seen here in NZ and as previous comments say its more than a little spendy at the ask.

To me it seems well overpriced for what it offers. I had the pleasure of driving a 125i and a 330i just recently as part of the search for a new car for my wife. In isolation they were both very nice cars to drive and felt sprightly, certainly enough for my wife and the 125i was on Bilsteins and h&r springs so handled very nicely. I would have bought it it weren't for the no existent service history. Getting back into my 335i it made me realise that the power gap is pretty big, If I'm going sporty I want the power to back up the looks. 

• Like 1