Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Holden out

I didn’t realise they had pulled out of other RHD markets. Guess when you put it in that context, what choice do they have vs focusing on USA and China where most of the growth in the world is. 

Its not the end of GM in NZ, its the end of Holden. I'll almost bet HSV spins off as its own brand and is what brings the Camaro and Corvette to NZ, run by GM directly.

No big loss, Holden has been peddling imported rubbish for years, its more a shame they didnt wrap it up when the Aus Commodore died.

6 minutes ago, KwS said:

Its not the end of GM in NZ, its the end of Holden. I'll almost bet HSV spins off as its own brand and is what brings the Camaro and Corvette to NZ, run by GM directly.

No big loss, Holden has been peddling imported rubbish for years, its more a shame they didnt wrap it up when the Aus Commodore died.

GM are no longer going make RHD vehicles, so maybe HSV will start doing RHD conversions? 

Tbh I think those articles are rather ambiguous.

Don't they still sell Opel and Vauxhall cars in the UK? In native RHD?

I can see the Holden brand disappearing but I'm not sure I'm reading between the lines that GM are abandoning RHD markets...

Supercars might be a bit fooked though if they can't get in-country factory backing to introduce the Camaro.

34 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Tbh I think those articles are rather ambiguous.

Don't they still sell Opel and Vauxhall cars in the UK? In native RHD?

I can see the Holden brand disappearing but I'm not sure I'm reading between the lines that GM are abandoning RHD markets...

Supercars might be a bit fooked though if they can't get in-country factory backing to introduce the Camaro.

So according to Vauxhall’s Wiki page it was sold to PSA in 2017. So it’s still around, just not under GM. Here was me thinking “how did I miss them closing down Vauxhall?!”. 

I assume they didn’t have manufacturing capacity in Japan, which is dominated by domestic makers so losing the UK leaves pretty much nothing for RHD. 

• Like 3

We encourage our followers and customers to please read the following statement.
With a heavy heart, Holden announced today that General Motors will be retiring the Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand. This announcement will be felt deeply by the entire Holden family, our customers and our fans.
We will immediately begin working with our dealer partners across Australia and New Zealand to implement an orderly transition, including support for our existing customers.
Holden will continue to support customers in the following ways:
  • Honour all existing warranties and guarantees
  • Honour all free scheduled servicing offers
  • Ongoing call centre support
  • Provide servicing and spare parts for at least 10 years, through national aftersales networks in Australia and New Zealand
  • Recalls or safety-related issues if they arise
GM has taken this difficult decision after an exhaustive analysis of the investment required for Holden to be competitive for the long term in Australia’s and New Zealand’s new car markets. Regrettably, this assessment determined such an investment could not meet GM’s investment thresholds, including delivering an appropriate return.
Factors weighing against further investment in Holden included: the highly fragmented right-hand-drive domestic markets; the economics to support growing the brand; and delivering an appropriate return on investment.
More broadly is the issue of scale. The global consolidation of the automotive industry has made it increasingly challenging to support a brand and a business that operates in only two markets, which represent less than one per cent of the global industry.
This decision has not been taken lightly, especially considering the iconic status of the Holden brand and the contribution it has made not only to GM, but to the development of the economies of Australia and New Zealand.
It impacts all aspects of the Holden business, including the wind-down of the National Sales Company, GM Holden Engineering, GM Design Australia, Holden Financial Services and Maven Australia.
We are commencing work with our dealer partners on timing to cease sales of new vehicles, as well as transitioning dealerships to authorised service outlets.
Customer Questions
Where can I get my Holden serviced?
Holden will establish a national aftersales network to support existing customers for at least the next 10 years. All current Holden dealers will be offered the opportunity to transition to Holden authorised service outlets.
Will you honour my warranty?
Yes. Holden will continue to honour all existing warranties.
For how long will Holden provide spare parts?
Holden will provide existing Holden customers aftersales support for at least 10 years, including warranty, service, spare parts and any required recall or field actions.
How far will I need to travel to get my car serviced in future?
Holden will establish a national aftersales network. All current Holden dealers will be offered the opportunity to transition to Holden authorised service outlets.
What happens if there is a vehicle recall?
As required, Holden and its aftersales network will also continue to handle any recalls or safety-related issues if they arise, working with the appropriate governmental agencies.
Can I still buy a new Holden?
Yes, Holden Dealerships still have a range of new, demonstrator and used vehicles available for sale. If you are interested, you should contact your local Dealer while stock lasts.
General Questions
When will Holden close?
We are committed to looking after existing Holden customers – and our plan is to provide aftersales support for at least 10 years. We will work closely with our dealers and customers around the appropriate timing to cease sales in Australia and New Zealand.
What parts of the Holden operation are impacted by this decision?
The National Sales Company; Design, Engineering, Maven, Holden Financial Services. We will retain a team to support our aftersales operation.
Wouldn’t it have been better to close Holden when local manufacturing ended?
We believed at the time that Holden could continue as a full-line importer.
What happens to Lang Lang Proving Ground?
We will explore options around the Lang Lang Proving Ground.
What happens to HSV?
We plan to focus our growth strategies in these markets on the specialty vehicles business and plan to immediately begin work with our partner on that focus.
What happens to Holden’s collection of historic vehicles, vehicles of national significance?
We will preserve key heritage vehicles and are working through plans with GM and local partners and institutions.
Is Corvette still coming to Australia and New Zealand?
We will work through this and share information in the coming months.
What is the future of Holden in Supercar racing?
We will begin discussions with the organisers of Supercars and Red Bull Holden Racing Team. We will update you on these discussions at the appropriate time.
Will Holden continue to sponsor Red Bull Holden Racing Team Racing?
We are aware of our commitment and we will work through with Red Bull Holden Racing Team the implications of this decision.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with our dealership and the others locally. It's likely ours will become a service center but some others might choose not to take that on. Time will tell. 

33 minutes ago, KwS said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with our dealership and the others locally. It's likely ours will become a service center but some others might choose not to take that on. Time will tell. 

Surely a “service centre” is not as sustainable in the long run. They’re not adding more cars to their customer base to keep that side of things ticking over. Also, you don’t need as much space if you’re not parking all the stock outside. 

I would think dealers like the Newmarket one will have to close, that lease must cost a bomb and if you can’t put stock on it, what’s the point? 

Sad to see you going Holden. Sorry I'm going to change the tone a little bit. Time for a childhood Holden story...

Growing up in Wellington, our family Xmas/New Year holidays were spent at my grandparents house in Whakatane. This is where I have many fond memories of time spent traveling from Whakatane to Torere and back with my Grandad in the late 70's/early 80's in his immaculate light blue EH wagon (Special I think it was). This thing was so pristine you wouldn't even fart in it. And I remember being too scared to eat anything in it as it was that clean and Grandad had that knack of knowing everything that was going on in his car! Granddad would even drive like a grandad, but that made the trip even more memorable.

Now Grandad was a tough b#stard from the old school, but man the pride and emotion he had when he drove and spoke about his 'Special' was just awesome! 

Jump forward 30+ (opps make that 40+) years and I'm glad I decided a couple of years ago to keep my HSV Avalanche, forever! ?

Thank you Grandad.

Holden - its in the blood!

Edited by treone
  • Like 2

Be interesting to see what the police force go with. 
With the demise of the Aussie designed and built Holden I’m surprised VW haven’t been successful in supplying more vehicles. Although I think the Govt resigned with Holden for 5 years in 2016. 
VW pretty much have the market covered. 
Decent performance orientated Golfs and Passats or Touareg could substitute Commodore for highway patrol. Base model Passat could take over from Commodore.  
Good range of vans and Ute option as well. 

Some forces do, it’s very varied, fleets are managed county-by-county not centrally.

Same in Aus, where some states run BMW 5 Series Sedans and Tourings.

• Thanks 1

Aus uses BMWs, Toyotas and Kias so we will probably follow something similar depending what deals they're given. I'd like to see some Stinger patrol cars out and about.

I think they should go for more SUVs like in the US. Higher up to see around things, lots of space for all your ‘cop stuff’ and when blacked out look scary. Just what a police force needs ?

My first car was a VH Commodore Royal. I’ll admit it, I’m sad to see the brand go. Although, like many, one they shut down the manufacturing it was pretty much done for me. 

Chevrolet has a manufacturing base in South East Asia, where they make the Isuzu and some Korean derived SUVs for the SEA market, we may be getting those, just branded as Chevy? maybe? 

Edit: OOPS. GM is pulling out of Thailand too.. ?

Edited by lord_jagganath
derped

Sad to see the end of the brand but as mentioned when they stopped making Commodores it was pointless carrying on. they do sell a lot of rubbish with the Colorado being one of the only decent vehicles left. Drove a VF Series II SS Redline the other day, pretty decent touring vehicle very comfortable with nice power and decent infotainment system. I would happily own one. 

Opel have also been sold to the PSA group.What,who is a Colarado anyway.They not Isuzu are they??? My Dad used to work for GM,on the frigidaire side th,but for some time we had a new Vauxhall or Holden every 18 mnths 2 yrrs or so.He prolly sold them for more than he bought them for.

In no prticular order we had  PA PB And PC Vauxhalls,EH  and a 67 (ER?)Holden,The last of the pre HQ shape and a couple of HQs.Highlight was he bought a LS Monaro home one night .Was partly stripped out as they were doing some kind of muffler work on it.

Very nearly bought a VL commodore(the 3L Nissan one) but bought a BMW K100RS mororbike instead

Edited by kiwi535

Colorado shared a platform with the D-Max (i think the current one still did), so no big loss. One less ute in the marketplace is good in my eyes.

Edited by KwS