Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

12k no reserve E60 M5 ends tomorrow

I wonder if the angry bird is included. It's just about an automatic disqualifer, I'd generalise that any owner that would hang one of those on/in an M5 doesn't know how to drive or look after an M5. Caveat emptor.

Edited by M3AN

6 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I wonder if the angry bird is included. It's just about an automatic disqualifer, I'd generalise that any owner that would hang one of those on/in an M5 doesn't know how to drive or look after an M5. Caveat emptor.

You missed the Nankang front tyres...

What do we reckon it will go for? Almost 200k, minimal preventative work noted (except maybe the clutch, by the previous owner; receipts?), but it is NZDM, black on black. 18-20k?

36 minutes ago, KwS said:

What do we reckon it will go for? Almost 200k, minimal preventative work noted (except maybe the clutch, by the previous owner; receipts?), but it is NZDM, black on black. 18-20k?

I was thinking 16-17k.

It’s a lot of car for the $$$ as people like to say. 

1 hour ago, NZ BMW said:

It’s a lot of car for the $$$ as people like to say. 

It's really quite amazing isn't it? You couldn't hope to get a tidy e39 M5 for that, if indeed it goes sub-20k.

Does anyone have any idea how many of these e60's are floating around? Soon the parts will be worth more than the car. Will it bounce back?

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

I'd generalise that any owner that would hang one of those on/in an M5 doesn't know how to drive or look after an M5.

Just because you disagree with it does not mean the owner is a complete imbecile.

My Year 9 English teacher used to warn me against generalisations. Some people are slower to catch on I guess 

• Like 2

Can't include the Angry Bird for that price, no way.

• Haha 1

$15110... 

Wow

Just wow. 

Buyer is a euro car parts vendor... 

Wonder if we'll see him try move it over 20k in the next 6 months. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LemonHunter said:

$15110... 

Wow

Just wow. 

Buyer is a euro car parts vendor... 

Wonder if we'll see him try move it over 20k in the next 6 months. 

At least its not a dealer or it'd be back on by the end of the week for 25k.

Mine was near mint, 88km and sold for $20k...

Edited by GorGasm

25 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Mine was near mint, 88km and sold for $20k...

That's bat-sh*t crazy. I know Brent also had one for around the same. And now ~16k?

Lesson? Don't buy an ///M that's based more on marketing hype than engineering purity. They're still absolutely brutal beasts and dreams to drive but they no longer have the differentiation they used to and simply aren't worth what they cost. They're tending towards image cars and away from being pure driver's cars. The E60 crowd unfortunately got caught up in the crossover (and they can't be blamed for that) but I can't see a single ///M car in the last 10 years holding value, for a start BMW undermine their value by introducing far too frequent variants. And the marking department doesn't give the engineering department enough time to get them right.

I'm afraid the legend stopped at the E46.

<dons Kevlar vest><ducks>

For that price it's worth getting one just to hack the mufflers off it and burn around town doing skids making a racket in it and goofing off with the boys. Would be a blast.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

That's bat-sh*t crazy. I know Brent also had one for around the same. And now ~16k?

Lesson? Don't buy an ///M that's based more on marketing hype than engineering purity. They're still absolutely brutal beasts and dreams to drive but they no longer have the differentiation they used to and simply aren't worth what they cost. They're tending towards image cars and away from being pure driver's cars. The E60 crowd unfortunately got caught up in the crossover (and they can't be blamed for that) but I can't see a single ///M car in the last 10 years holding value, for a start BMW undermine their value by introducing far too frequent variants. And the marking department doesn't give the engineering department enough time to get them right.

I'm afraid the legend stopped at the E46.

<dons Kevlar vest><ducks>

In my opinion you are only partly correct.  The E60 M5 is a technically amazing car.  Performance, handling, comfort, everything, is huge.  It's totally in line with what an M5 is, and its totally a drivers car.  In fact non "drivers" would shy away from them.  And there certainly isn't much marketing attached.  Given the other cars released at the same time (E63 AMG and Audi RS6) the M5 excels as the drivers car by far.

The issue is their fuel consumption, maintenance and perceived reliability.

Now if I was to consider F10 and on-wards, then I perhaps start to agree with you more.  M5, E63, RS6, RS4, Guilia, etc. all start to blur the lines.

• Like 3

To be fair I said the E60 was the cross over point... I believe that the e46 was the last of the pure but that the e60/90 still had a lot of the pure... but beyond that? Not so much in my mind.

I think at this stage the value has a lot more to do with the perceived cost of ownership than whether or not it is a "true" M car (which it absolutely is!!) Generally speaking the people who are buying at this price level can't or won't spend the money required to keep them at a standard at which they are worth decent money. Good time to buy one as spares for my wagon....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other thing to consider is supply and demand, as the models have been released over the years they have sold in larger numbers, so scarcity is becoming less of a factor than it was with E34 M5, E30 and E36 M3, even E39 M5s aren't exactly abundant in NZ compared to the E60/90 generation M cars.

Please don't get me wrong, I consider the E60 M5 a proper M car. I just think that they, and the E9x M3 are at the leading edge of M cars that won't hold their value, they're not the wedge. I predict those that followed will plummet like Audi RS's and AMG's. Anyone can create a fast boosted car.

But I think most would accept that the E60/90 era M's are quite a different driver's proposition than the E46/39's... safety standards, and therefore weight, had properly caught up with sports cars by then.

For the absence of doubt I'm not bagging on E60/90 M cars or their owners... nor am I actually bagging on later M cars or their owners, I just don't think the later ones will hold value like the earlier editions. And yes, as @aja540i says, volume makes a real difference.

39 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Please don't get me wrong, I consider the E60 M5 a proper M car. I just think that they, and the E9x M3 are at the leading edge of M cars that won't hold their value, they're not the wedge. I predict those that followed will plummet like Audi RS's and AMG's. Anyone can create a fast boosted car.

But I think most would accept that the E60/90 era M's are quite a different driver's proposition than the E46/39's... safety standards, and therefore weight, had properly caught up with sports cars by then.

For the absence of doubt I'm not bagging on E60/90 M cars or their owners... nor am I actually bagging on later M cars or their owners, I just don't think the later ones will hold value like the earlier editions. And yes, as @aja540i says, volume makes a real difference.

I can see where you are coming from, but I think a slightly different crowd like the boosted cars. I dont mean the Flat Peak Doof Doof crowd but there are car guys and girls who really do appreciate what a turbo can do, and I do understand how the N/A motors appeal, but In terms of high revving engines that make power through those revs they are the cars of another generation. I just look at what Toyota Supras were selling for in the late 90s early 2000s and while they were desirable back then it obvious they are now almost unobtanium, same for GTRs of course and older Turbo  cars like STIs and Evos are going that way now as well. In 10 years time a lot of turbo BMWs will be wrapped round lamp posts or will have died due to poor maintenance and I expect they will start climbing back up in price as well. BTW in the 90s and early 2000s other manufacturers made high revving high high hp per CC engines; Toyota and Honda come to mind. It is a bit disingenuous to say anyone can strap a turbo to car and make a fast car, there are plenty of turbo cars that aren't really very quick, engineering and design are still vitally important. Also never forget no one really cares how the motor works when they are looking at the other cars tail lights. 

• Like 1

The only reason the JDM "halo" cars are expensive now is because of the bloody States and their 25 year rule. They'd still be worth nothing if there wasnt demand for JDMasFK RHD cars in the US. Not really a good thing to base your comparison on tbh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KwS said:

The only reason the JDM "halo" cars are expensive now is because of the bloody States and their 25 year rule. They'd still be worth nothing if there wasnt demand for JDMasFK RHD cars in the US. Not really a good thing to base your comparison on tbh.

That and the generation that grew up idolising them as kids now have cash to get them. 80s kids lust after 80s cars, its the circle of life. 

• Like 1

JDM Halo cars were already worth big bucks before the US 25 year rule came in. R34s are not quite there yet and try getting a decent one these days, in fact try getting a decent R34 5 years ago. The same for FD RX7s.  As to 80s kids idolizing 80s cars the same will happen with 2000s cars and 2000s kids, Just like 60 kids idolized muscle cars. However BMW N/A M cars will likely retain excellent values as much because of the "Purist Crowd" a bit like the 911 purists who still slam anything with a water cooled engine, even though 996 and newer 911s are without doubt better cars. I mean a E46 M3 is no faster round a track than a 135i. 

Edited by Herbmiester