Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

12k no reserve E60 M5 ends tomorrow

2 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

JDM Halo cars were already worth big bucks before the US 25 year rule came in. R34s are not quite there yet and try getting a decent one these days, in fact try getting a decent R34 5 years ago. The same for FD RX7s. 

Only a few years ago before they were 25 year old R32 GTRs, FDs and Supras were regularly trading for mid teens for the desirable models.  At the same time R34 GTRs were only about 50-60k too.

I remember this because I was sitting there with the cash thinking "Thats a lot of money for them, ill wait till they drop in price a bit more" and then bam, overnight they shot up and now im kicking myself that I'll never be able to afford one.

3 minutes ago, KwS said:

Only a few years ago before they were 25 year old R32 GTRs, FDs and Supras were regularly trading for mid teens for the desirable models.  At the same time R34 GTRs were only about 50-60k too.

I remember this because I was sitting there with the cash thinking "Thats a lot of money for them, ill wait till they drop in price a bit more" and then bam, overnight they shot up and now im kicking myself that I'll never be able to afford one.

The yanks already had Supra's and they were better than the JDM models and the FD's were available as well. What hiked the prices was the Fast and Furious movies, almost overnight JDM performance cars started going through the roof and the focus went off V8 muscle cars. I remember selling my business and thinking I will get an R33 or R34 and it was just after the 2nd movie came out and everything went up almost 10k overnight. Its the same with Muscle cars especially Aussie ones, try buying a Torana of any sort nowadays and all you will get for 20 K is rusty project, but its 100K if you want a V8 LX hatch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

The only reason the JDM "halo" cars are expensive now is because of the bloody States and their 25 year rule. They'd still be worth nothing if there wasnt demand for JDMasFK RHD cars in the US. Not really a good thing to base your comparison on tbh.

I think that does them a disservice. My early life was over three generations of 4G63 cars and they were all something special. As are GT-R's and Supra's of the day. If you have a clean one now they're worth a lot, because they've earned it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I think that does them a disservice. My early life was over three generations of 4G63 cars and they were all something special. As are GT-R's and Supra's of the day. If you have a clean one now they're worth a lot, because they've earned it.

Yes quite a motor that one. Andre Simon who is a Tuner of some repute had a shop in wellington, He tuned both my SS Commodore and my XR6 turbo, but his EVO made more horsepower again. I think from memory it was around 600 on 35psi. 

Yeah, my 6.5 ran 2 bar (~30psi) in 3rd, 4th and 5th and was manic. It was about as much fun as you can imagine a tiny 2l 4 pot could be, did 11s quarters all day long too.

• Like 1