Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Diagnostic scanning early model e39

I've got an e39 540 that was made on the 6/96

Having trouble connecting a diagnostic scanner to it. I can't connect to it at all

I've tried using inpa on the laptop. I've got 2x generic 16pin to USB adapters. 

Ive also got an adapter that goes from the 16 pin to the round obd port under the bonnet. 

I've only been trying to connect to the port under the bonnet because I don't believe it has a 16 pin port. 

I can connect to my e53 through the 16pin port just fine. 

Do I need to modify the cables to make them work with an older model? 

You had a look here ? Some had both

Edited by *Glenn*

Hi James

There is probably nothing wrong with your INPA setup.  The problem is with your early model E39.

The Early model E39 will be still on ODB1/ADS and your INPA setup using the USB port only talks ODB2.

To talk to your E39 via the 20 pin connector under the bonnet, you will need either:

- A very old computer with a Com port to set INPA up on and a ADS converter.  

- A scanner that talks ODB1/ADS.  I have checked my Foxwell NT530 scanner (with BMW software) this morning and it will talk to E39 540's from 3/96, so it will cover your car.  Maybe its time to buy a good scanner.

Regards

Murray

3 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

You had a look here ? Some had both

Yes. It doesn't have one there unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, NZ00Z3 said:

Hi James

There is probably nothing wrong with your INPA setup.  The problem is with your early model E39.

The Early model E39 will be still on ODB1/ADS and your INPA setup using the USB port only talks ODB2.

To talk to your E39 via the 20 pin connector under the bonnet, you will need either:

- A very old computer with a Com port to set INPA up on and a ADS converter.  

- A scanner that talks ODB1/ADS.  I have checked my Foxwell NT530 scanner (with BMW software) this morning and it will talk to E39 540's from 3/96, so it will cover your car.  Maybe its time to buy a good scanner.

Regards

Murray

Thanks Murray,

Any recommendations on a scanner? I'm really not sure what they're worth either. Would $600 get me somewhere? 

Would be nice to try something before I buy it. 

I would recommend the Foxwell NT530 scanner loaded with BMW software.  Approx NZ$300.  Its what I have for the ODB1/ADS work I do and I checked it this morning to ensure that it covers your car.

https://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale/nt520-pro-scanner-with-bmw-software-installed.html

• Like 1

Getting an old laptop with a serial port is the way to go, but not as easy to set up as the plug and play foxwell 

I have a tinyADS interface for pre obd2 cars and run win7 on an old HP elitebook and it works extremely well for early and later model 

• Like 2

Yeah, you don't need to spend much but you need a little technical nous (or an IT friend) to get ADS up and running properly. I have all the config files I can share should you choose to go that route.

Edit: if you simply want a scan and are up in Auckland at any stage drop me a line, can do it on my rig for free.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

I agree that an old computer with ADS is the better way to go.  Finding the old computer with a com port is the hard part, then there is the setting up of the system.

I was please to finally find an alternative in the Foxwell NT530 that talks both OBD1/ADS and OBD2 to cover my needs.

• Like 1

FWIW, the laptop doesn't need to have a serial port (mine doesn't) as long as you can get a native docking station or port replicator for it that does have a serial port. Yes, it's still old kit but that does open up your options.

I use an old-school HP EliteBook (no serial port) with a matching HP docking station (multiple serial ports) and that works fine.

I'm local (Hamilton based), and have inpa that should work on your car. (works on my e36s) 

It does depend on the cable you use as the others have said. 

Flick me a pm and we can give it a go. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'd never heard of ads and am researching it currently. 

Nick496 sent you a pm

Been reading up on ADS again to refresh my knowledge.  A couple of links below may be helpful.

Check your 20 pin connector, if pin 15 has a wire in it, then you definitely need OBD1/ADS to read your modules.

https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/threads/bmw-and-inpa-success-e39-e46-onwards.74608/

https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/threads/bmw-inpa-diagnostics-an-idiots-guide-to-getting-started.85220/

https://www.car-auto-repair.com/bmw-obd1-obd2-and-ads-socket-knowledge-introduction/