Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E36 Wheel and tire choices

I realise this has been discussed before but I couldn't find the thread so here we go. I am looking at some Style 32s for my E36 that are 8x17 with what I think is an offset of 47. I remember Ron (no longer with us?) saying that  235 40 17 was the right size for an 8 inch rim and also that it was the best size all round for an E36. I have looked for some 235 40 17s and it does seem to be a hard size to find. I would appreciate any comment on that tire size, where to find them and also 8 inch rims with these tyres on their E36.

I have an e36 318is MSport, with staggered Style 32 Wheels, and I am running 225/45x17 on the front, and 235/45 x17 on the rear, as that what was fitted when I bought the car and they appear to work fine, though I do note that  BMW recommend 245/40x17 for the rear on their sticker on the B pillar. I am pretty sure the rear is 8.5” with the front being 7.5”. I chose Goodyear Assurances Triplemax 2s as they worked fine on my 2009 Accord Euro wagon, and they seem to work fine on the 318 as well, and they aren’t too expensive. From memory, the rears were actually cheaper than the fronts as they are were a more common size. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Thanks Glen, I am hoping to find a set of staggered Style 32's but there are some well priced square 32's on TM at the moment but the tire selection or lack of it for 235/40/17s is holding me back. I had style 24's on my old 325i and they did have 245/40/17s on the rear, I was happy with that setup and although it is supposed to under steer a bit compared to a square setup I didn't notice it. Perhaps a track-day would have shown it up. 

i know it might be tempting to go with whats available but I would hold out for some staggered wheels.
the 8" combined with high offset of 47 on the rear will reduce the track width a bit.

• Like 1

Nick Weitz has some staggered style 32s on a car at his place in Hamilton, it's on trademe at the moment it's a silver 318is motorsport with staggered wheels, maybe you should give him a bell.

Edited by GlenK
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GlenK said:

Nick Weitz has some staggered style 32s on a car at his place in Hamilton, it's on trademe at the moment it's a silver 318is motorsport with staggered wheels, maybe you should give him a bell.

I buy a bit off Nick so will hit him up, thanks for the heads up.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:38 PM, C-130 Hercules said:

Bit of a thread dig - can someone confirm what the factory size of style 32's were fitted on e36 318is, etc? 

On 10/13/2023 at 4:00 PM, Herbmiester said:

I think is was 7.5 x17 front and 8.5 x 17 rear.

So, had the opportunity last weekend to confirm correct sizing. For posterity - as per Herbmiester above. Offset of 41 front and rear. 

IMG_20231217_094942.jpg

IMG_20231217_094842.jpg

I'm running staggered Style 39 (DS2's) on what was a 92 325i coupe.

Tyres are Bridgestone RE003, 225/45/17 on the front, 245/40/17 on the rear.

They're a noisy tyre but stick real good. They only just fit.

Had a go at trying to fit PS4's but the sidewall is fatter (PS4S's not available in this size). The rears won't fit at all (negative gap to the guard) and while the fronts bolt up, rub when turned. Went back to the RE003's...

14 hours ago, wrs said:

I'm running staggered Style 39 (DS2's) on what was a 92 325i coupe.

Tyres are Bridgestone RE003, 225/45/17 on the front, 245/40/17 on the rear.

They're a noisy tyre but stick real good. They only just fit.

Had a go at trying to fit PS4's but the sidewall is fatter (PS4S's not available in this size). The rears won't fit at all (negative gap to the guard) and while the fronts bolt up, rub when turned. Went back to the RE003's...

That's odd. I'm running 245/40/17 PS4s on the back on the same wheels with no problem on a 97 coupe (standard springs). Is yours lowered?

It's apparently standard M3 ride height but the back wheels do have about 25mm of the rubber inside the wheel arch. There's only 5mm gap between the rubber and inside of the guard. It never rubs but must get close when cornering.

Looks like there is a difference between 90-93 and 94+ cars.

Track:

My car: Front/Rear 1418/1431

94 on: Front/Rear 1408/1421

Looks like I'm 10mm overall wider than 94+ cars. The additional 5mm each side could be why yours fit and mine didn't.

Edited by wrs