Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

B58s for sale

There are two B58s for sale on FB Market place in the BMW/Audi Buy/sell/Trade page. Sorry no link. But photo of the engine supposedly only 1000km $9950. Quite like what I am reading on the B58 seems to be able to make really big power on stock internals. 

87454385_10157269606828721_3766783449277399040_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=kvaMWuPLtmsAX9I1mQj&_nc_ht=scontent.fwlg2-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=954e230a0b17d96bfcdff72569db3b34&oe=5EFF1C2C

It’s a stonking engine, even in factory tune, let  alone with tuning.

It would be a much braver (cleverer ? Aka @hybrid) man than me to try and transplant be into something else though.. the electronics side is mind boggling to me.

58 minutes ago, qube said:

put it in a A80 Supra 4 da lulz?

4 da haterz. 

Is it just me or is that quite cheap for a near new engine? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KwS said:

4 da haterz. 

Is it just me or is that quite cheap for a near new engine? 

Good question.

Well Brent has just listed a low KM N55b30 for $4730 so maybe its an ok price.

Limited market I guess. Cool engine if you could find a way to drive it with a LinkECU or something, in a weirder chassis

1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

Suppose that wouldn't be a drop-in replacement for my E92 335i... ?

Whats the point though? I see you guys with similarly new N54 B30 engines.. an engine with forged internals that can do 500bhp on the cheap looking to more to a more "commodity" engine if its anything like the N54. I dont get the attraction?

47 minutes ago, Kodachrome said:

Whats the point though? I see you guys with similarly new N54 B30 engines.. an engine with forged internals that can do 500bhp on the cheap looking to more to a more "commodity" engine if its anything like the N54. I dont get the attraction?

Anything to get rid of the N54 eh? 

I hear the N52 is plentiful, might be easier than the B58

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kodachrome said:

Making more reliable power.

Also mine's an N55...

But 500hp on the cheap... no way, unless you're not planning to use that power for more than the odd little drag race. 

I doubt a 500HP N55 or 54 would survive very long without a rebuild, if it's being put to use properly. I don't care for those crazy HP builds that are just used for the odd drag race. Sure there are heaps of high power builds shown off on forums, that never see a race track...

But anyway... I wasn't totally serious, I don't think it's worth it, better off buying a newer car if I'm spending that kind of money :)

Edited by Matth5

B58 is stronger again than the N54, the big difference being a closed deck as opposed to the N54 which is open. N54s can make 500hp but 450 on stock turbos is more realistic. N55s or course can make that but internals are not as strong so a bit riskier. Single turbo N54 conversions will see 600 plus but not really a cheap option, more a mid range option as is bigger twins. As to the N52 please, who wants to go backwards, and N52s are not without their own reliability problems.   

14 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

N52s are not without their *significantly lesser* own reliability problems.   

Fixed it for you :D

I agree though, N52 isnt in the same class, it wasn't designed for boost but to be very very very light, everything about an N52 is about adding lightness. Anything more than about 6psi seems to make for very short, albeit fun, life spans. The only reliable boosted N52 Ive seen is a 130 in singapore that does something like 280hp to the wheels with a centrifugal blower.. he had heaps of tuning issues but its went for years before a rebuild at 200,000+km (rings failed, bores still mint) 

Jesus guys, way to take the bait. I was having a laugh with the N52 comment.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, KwS said:

Jesus guys, way to take the bait. I was having a laugh with the N52 comment.

Oh I saw it alright but  based on the previous reactions from "NZ 130i defence squad" I couldn't resist a poke. 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Haha 2

I can hear your wastegate rattling from here.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I can hear your wastegate rattling from here.

Nah that's just your lifters refusing to bleed. 

• Like 1

Now now guys. 
the real star of the show is the ZF8 rather than the N vs B discussion

1 minute ago, qube said:

Now now guys. 
the real star of the show is the ZF8 rather than the N vs B discussion

Yes quite an outstanding autobox, was really impressed by the one in my mates M135i. It shifted so fast I thought it was a DCT at first. 

21 minutes ago, qube said:

imo better than dct for day to day driving!

This. 100%. Coming from a DCT owner. The zf8 is truly great, would not be one bit disappointed if I had that instead of the DCT. 

• Like 1

But that’s a slush box not a manual so it must be poo and you are therefore an inferior human being, etc...

??

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

But that’s a slush box not a manual so it must be poo and you are therefore an inferior human being, etc...

??

Is this the Ghost of Ron speaking?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2