Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

Learner motorcycle, stay in the fold or look elsewhere?

Considering buying a LAMS bike to work towards my restricted. I have 2 Kawasaki KLR250's already, but neither are road legal (one is in pieces and the other I've been using solely off-road). I know some of you are also into bikes so was hoping to tap into your knowledge.

Have been told to look at BMW F650GS, particularly ones with ABS, but being a sucker I've also been thinking about something left field like an R65.... Alternatively I could be far less interesting and buy a 250cc modern Honda or just get a KLR road legal...

Thoughts?

Edited by eliongater

Any of the above. Get restricted. Get full. Buy s1000rr.

• Like 1

I bought a older F650 with carburetor for my first bike - great reliable all rounder with decent power and nice to work being a single carb with center stand. Only thing i didn't like was the typical single banger vibration you got through the bars at 100kph+, but it was nothing you couldn't live with.

Not a fan of 250's myself, singles are too under powered for open road use and the inline 4's are torqueless screamers which need too much revs for me . Plenty of bigger capacity ie 500cc+ modern LAMS bikes to choose from if you got some more coin.   

As always it comes down to preference and your use case in the end.

The R65 we briefly discussed would be fun, but it is a modified bike.

For something stock, Suzuki's GS500 will be under $4k, possibly under $3k depending on spec, and is a simple, reliable and strong bike that handles far better than almost anyone would expect.

Hyosung 650gtr lams model. Remove the restrictor. They go bloody well once derestricted. 

Or keep poodling around on underpowered hooptys. 

Aprilia 650 Pegaso, brilliant for learners, bit like an F650, but Yamaha powered 660cc, not overly powerful, and I’m pretty sure their Lams approved, fuel injected, and very fun to ride!

2C2B54B5-C692-4565-913E-A230E66ACA01.jpeg

41804999-B5C1-470B-9027-41F782D1C757.jpeg

Thanks for all the responses so far team. Will look into them. I probably should've mentioned that going fast is not the aim here, more after something (potentially interesting) to ride on the road to work towards my restricted and then full whilst also building confidence so I can go and do rides like the Molesworth station etc. Perhaps with the odd bit of commuting thrown in for good measure.

F650 would be a good option especial if you're wanting to do a bit of adventure touring. 

Depending what you want it for, try an older 4 cylinder 250. Such as CBR250RR, ZXR. Damn fun bikes but they need to be thrashed.

I wouldn't get too carried away as far as purchase pricing goes for a bike to gain your licences. Get by with the minimum as chances are when you get your full you'll probably look to upgrade say a f 650 to a 850 or 1200 etc. 

Or 250 sports bike to a 600 or 1000.

I agree, F650 if you want a dual purpose mile muncher, you can’t beat em, super reliable, best to go for the second generation 2000 onwards, the hire companies used them for good reason! There’s on one Trademe at the mo with 54,000kms (not big miles for these) for $3500 ono, which means you could probably bag it for $3K or less if your canny??

the moleworth is just a slightly under maintained gravel road.So many choices for bikes now.Being a reasonabytalll fella an adventure type bike will suit you.

an r65 would proably be slower than one of the 250s you are talking about;Even my r100 gs only had about 60 hp.If you happy with a single a bmw 650, klr 650 or a suzuki dr 650 ..THe bmw 650 actually a rotax engine.I prefer twins myself.

• Like 1

Oops...? Suffice to say I’ve definitely got an affliction for classic BMWs

B6B3714B-7F0B-4B31-A733-7D83FBB89CB0.thumb.jpeg.22b87f79b7145596e3369221a26ed28e.jpeg

• Like 4

Yeah the seat may need some attention...

Yes new tyres are on the cards for ASAP... Just working through what I need.

I bought an R1150 GS, was keen on a classic Like an r80 etc but after I rode one I decided that while they are classics I wanted a bit more. I am riding Molesworth on the 1st of May, great road to ride.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, kiwi535 said:

i would be changing that front tyre too.

Done ?

38327545-6C4A-4724-AC94-0ABEC05D74BD.thumb.jpeg.336f136d77cf2f94ba4b46476c183152.jpeg

On 3/10/2020 at 9:14 PM, Herbmiester said:

I bought an R1150 GS, was keen on a classic Like an r80 etc but after I rode one I decided that while they are classics I wanted a bit more. I am riding Molesworth on the 1st of May, great road to ride.

have you checked status,last I heard it was closed cos its so dry

31 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

have you checked status,last I heard it was closed cos its so dry

Hopefully open by the end of the month.