Sign in to follow this  
///M

E8x rear subframe bushing upgrade

Has anyone had any rear subframe bushings fitted to an e8x or know of workshops in Auckland capable of installing a set at a reasonable cost? I’m considering e9x M3 rear subframe bushing for my 130i

HELLBM has the tooling I bought to do them now, they can probably sort ya out. 

• Thanks 1

BMWorkshop did mine. 

BTW you may as well skip ahead to full on hard poly bushings. Used AKG Race bushings on my E92 335i, absolutely no impact on comfort or noise. Do it once and they will never need replacement again.

Might be a bit different for the 1 series but I doubt it.

• Like 1

The superpro PU bushes are legit as well, Id skip M3 too (and those silly gap fill insert things people use :D ) 

I was considering the poly subframe bushes but was a bit concerned there might be squeaks and other odd noises. I've had bad experiences previously with annoying poly sway bar bushes.

I'll definitely take another look into it. Thanks guys!

Edited by ///M

29 minutes ago, ///M said:

I was considering the poly subframe bushes but was a bit concerned there might be squeaks and other odd noises. I've had bad experiences previously with annoying poly sway bar bushes.

I'll definitely take another look into it. Thanks guys!

I havent a peep from mine since install, its the eibach ones on the sway bar at the front that are a ball ache. 

• Like 1

Had mine for years, no squeaks or anything. I think they don't move like sway bar and control arm bushes do, so it's not as much of an issue with them.

For control arms I went with the M3 parts, think vibration, noise issues ect are more likely there if you go too stiff.

• Like 1

I've not read any negative comments/reviews on the bushing inserts... but I also don't have them because I'm not convinced (and TBH the car feels tight enough).

What are the detractors of the inserts saying?

14 hours ago, M3AN said:

I've not read any negative comments/reviews on the bushing inserts... but I also don't have them because I'm not convinced (and TBH the car feels tight enough).

If your subframe bushings are old, the inserts only serve as a band-aid solution. With that said, anything’s better than the squishy RSB and if you’re on a budget (and your existing bushings are in good condition) they’re viable. Keep in mind this is conjecture based on what I've read on various forums

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

Its butchery bandaid engineering :D Filling the voids in rubber with PU will give you like a variable rate bush, and if you're going to the trouble of fixing them - might as well do it properly. Its not even that massive a job to change them out with the right tooling, I think I did mine it about 4 hoursish?

BMW probably went a bit OTT in the NVH reduction on the ass end subframe. Even with PU everything include diff mounts (and 35 series tyres), its actually not that bad. 

8 hours ago, Jacko said:

BMW probably went a bit OTT in the NVH reduction on the ass end subframe. Even with PU everything include diff mounts (and 35 series tyres), its actually not that bad. 

If your car came with 19 inch runflats you'd see why lol. Rides like absolute sh*t  :)

• Haha 1

Thanks guys... don't think I'll bother with the inserts, I'm okay with the handling for the time being but will do the camber pin and possibly ///M front arms for more camber at some point.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Thanks guys... don't think I'll bother with the inserts, I'm okay with the handling for the time being but will do the camber pin and possibly ///M front arms for more camber at some point.

The M3 LCAs do BIG things to the steering, keep an eye on amazon you can get the OEM TRW kits for peanuts with some shopping around (think I paid like $200USD for LCAs and tension arms) 

Im surprised yours doesnt have the pin mod done, golf T mod and knocking out the pins is normally part of the 130 starter pack. 

I had some correspondence with a guy in the US who used the inserts and he had them in for a couple of years and was happy. I have not read any negative reviews of them. plus they can be fitted at home.

• Like 1