Sign in to follow this  
jochen

How to reprogram Jap BMW radio to NZ frequencies..

Hi Jochen,

Just join this forum. Got a 735i year 2004 (E65) from Japan that has the same radio frequency problem. can you help? i am in malaysia

Hi Jochen,

Just join this forum. Got a 735i year 2004 (E65) from Japan that has the same radio frequency problem. can you help? i am in malaysia

Only solution is to reprogram using dealer software

You must remove the JAPAN option from the options list.

Then reprogram the car.

Hi Jochen,

My E39 already has a band expander fitted to it by the local dealer. However, I find that certain radio stations clash at the same frequency and which station I can hear depends on my location at that moment! Can I use your procedure in this situation to change the area setup?

Cheers.

My E39 already has a band expander fitted to it by the local dealer. However, I find that certain radio stations clash at the same frequency and which station I can hear depends on my location at that moment! Can I use your procedure in this situation to change the area setup?

Yes, if you E39 is made after September 2001 (new generation radio)

If it is prior to Sept 2001 (old gen radio), then the only solution is to swap the Japanese model radio to the European model radio.

What you are experiencing is firm proof that band expanders are crap and they destroy radio performance.

Here's a useful 'How to' for BMW fans:

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!

Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

Hey,

I have a 850i from Japan would you walk me through the process of resetting FM to CANADA

Hey,

I have a 850i from Japan would you walk me through the process of resetting FM to CANADA

The BMW 8 Series (chassis code: E31); is a V8 or V12-engined 2-door 2+2 coupe built by BMW from 1989 to 1999.

It is too old to have a reprogrammable radio

To make an 850i radio work in NZ, you need to exchange the radio from the Jap version to the Euro version

If you wish to keep the 850i original and thus retain its value, research what radios the 850i had in Europe and then fit one of them.

Alternatively, fit the RadioCD from the E34/E36 series of cars.

Jochen,

Looking to see if you've found a way to reprogram a 2008 335 with I-drive and navigation. I have the same problem with my US spec BMW in Germany. I can't receive the german frequencies nor the RTTI traffic info. If there was a "M" button, it would be all to simple, unfortunately, there isn't. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

Jochen,

Looking to see if you've found a way to reprogram a 2008 335 with I-drive and navigation. I have the same problem with my US spec BMW in Germany. I can't receive the german frequencies nor the RTTI traffic info. If there was a "M" button, it would be all to simple, unfortunately, there isn't. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Being a 2008 car, the dealer should be able to do that for you

Guest tebs69

Jochen,

You are really god sent.. Been looking for a site which would help me address my radio problem with my BMW 745i e65. The car was produced 2003 and comes with iDrive. Problem is the radio frequency is in japan mode. I do not wish to replace the HU so anything i can do? Im in the Philippines. Please help. Thank you.

Jochen,

You are really god sent.. Been looking for a site which would help me address my radio problem with my BMW 745i e65. The car was produced 2003 and comes with iDrive. Problem is the radio frequency is in japan mode. I do not wish to replace the HU so anything i can do? Im in the Philippines. Please help. Thank you.

You have to find a good intelligent BMW engineer/tech that can reprogram the car to Europe mode (not Japan)

Or: swap out the antenna amplifier - left rear c pillar - with one from a native Singapore / Philippines car.

The radio tuning is done in the antenna amplifier, as long as you never reprogram the car, the Singapore antenna amp will stay set for singapore and radio reception will be OK

Watch out for different software versions!

You won't be able to tell without any tools though...

Guest tebs69

Hi jochen,

Thank you for taking time to reply. Did you mean to say that by simply changing the antenna amplifier into singapore/philippine frequency will be ok? Is there no need to do anything with the HU like reprogram it or anything like that? Thank you.

Guest tebs69

Jochen,

Do you happen to know the part number of that particular antenna amplifier?

Jochen,

Do you happen to know the part number of that particular antenna amplifier?

Assuming you are referring to a 06/2003 E65 745i Saloon N62 Europe Right hand drive Automatic

Here's the antenna tuner:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=30

Note the same part numbers in use for the different markets, the antenna tuner varies only in how it is programmed.

Therefore, look at the part number of the tunr in your car to be 100% certain you get the same type.

Then, get it from a car from the same market as what you want eg:

Singapore, UK, Europe, Philippines, Malaysia etc

The other way to do this, which could be cheaper is:

1. Remove the antenna tuner from your car and fit to a Singapore, UK, Europe, Philippines, Malaysia etc market vehicle (but NOT US or Japan market)

2. Recode the car using BMW software to make the antenna tuner coded correctly for the car.

3. Refit the tuner back to your car.

hey mate

is there have any chance for E39 1999 528i with nav TV??(Jap model) :unsure:

i just can't find any button call "M" even the new 16:4 tv doesnt hav M bottom either !! :angry:

whts the M buttom mean?? Mode?? Memory?? Mxxxx?? i have no idea......plz help :wacko:

My tv look like this:

Posted Image

The new 16:4 Tv

Posted Image

NOT M BUTTOM ON BOTH .......what??:angry:

cheers

UPDATE: i pressed Traffic buttom about 10 second n the serial number appears BUT i still can't find area Japan or Japan lol

Edited by BrianE39

hey mate

is there have any chance for E39 1999 528i with nav TV??(Jap model) :unsure:

No. The ability to reprogram the radio started in vehicles made in September 2009 and newer

Your 1999 E39 has the old-generation non-reprogrammable radio in it.

To make the radio work in NZ, simply exchange the Japanese radio module with the European equivalent radio module.

This is easy and relatively cheap to do, on ebay Germany the radio modules sometimes sell for as little as <$100 NZD

PS: M means "Memory"

PPS: Service mode on the 4:3 monitor and 16:9 monitor is activated with the SELECT button

PPPS: Jap radios of the age of your car do not have a Service Mode

No. The ability to reprogram the radio started in vehicles made in September 2009 and newer

To make the radio work in NZ, simply exchange the Japanese radio module with the European equivalent radio module.

This is easy and relatively cheap to do, on ebay Germany the radio modules sometimes sell for as little as <$100 NZD

PPS: Service mode on the 4:3 monitor and 16:9 monitor is activated with the SELECT button

Hey Jochen,

Am wondering if you can help. I have got a 2002 BMW 530i from Japan with the TV navigation unit (same look as the photo provided in the previous post- screen in the midle and buttons on both sides and cassette behind the electronic opening face) I have tried to reprogram the unit so it can recieve NZ radio station and have tried switching the radio off and holding the "select" button. it comes up "pres ON" and then if i try again it comes up with "pres off" have tried fiddlingwith other buttons while this message is on but nothing happens and goes back to the radio station display. Does this mean this stereo cant be reprogrammed? any help would be appreciated

Hey Jochen,

Am wondering if you can help. I have got a 2002 BMW 530i from Japan with the TV navigation unit (same look as the photo provided in the previous post- screen in the midle and buttons on both sides and cassette behind the electronic opening face) I have tried to reprogram the unit so it can recieve NZ radio station and have tried switching the radio off and holding the "select" button. it comes up "pres ON" and then if i try again it comes up with "pres off" have tried fiddlingwith other buttons while this message is on but nothing happens and goes back to the radio station display. Does this mean this stereo cant be reprogrammed? any help would be appreciated

Hi,

PM me with the last 7 digit chassis code & I will confirm build date - this determines what tuner is fitted.

If world tuner - I can then give you the sequence for programming your radio

hi can advise bmw part number to look for please

hi can advise bmw part number to look for please

Use the following (Item 1 in pic below):

BMW Business RDS (single tuner radio module)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=05

Posted Image

or

BMW Professional RDS (dual-tuner radio module)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=05

When comparing the two, note that the Professional RDS is the BEST of the two.

Note the manufacture dates:

Do not get a radio more than 1 yr older than your car, otherwise you run into firmware version issues. Especially early E38 radios (prior to say Sept 1995) cannot control the E39 CD changer

Do not get a radio built newer than 08-2001, because new gen radios from 09-2001 have different connectors and require a different wiring loom adapter and different antenna amplifiers

If you have the Jap nav, then the Business RDS radio is plug and play compatible with the Jap nav.

The Professional RDS radio won't display text properly with some older versions of the Jap nav

The compatibility issue with Jap nav disappears if you remove the Jap nav and fit the Euro nav

Here they are on ebay.de:

http://shop.ebay.de/?_from=R40&_trksid...-All-Categories

NOTE carefully the difference between old gen (round pin connector, prior to 09-2001) and new gen (flat pin connector, from 09-2001)

The date is written on the label eg KW 39/96 means Kalendar Week 39 from 1996

The one here would work, and costs 80 Euros (about 160 NZD) + postage (surface mail, 6wk delivery, is only 13 EUR)

http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-E39-E38-Radio-Modul...1#ht_2180wt_939

Hello Jochen,

Was wondering if i can trouble you with a couple of questions:

I have a 2007 E90 325i Motorsport fitted with iDrive, which was imported from Japan.

Is there any way to reprogram this so that radio can pick up all NZ frequencies?

Can a band expander even be fitted to an idrive radio?

Also the navigation on the idrive...what (if any) is the procedure to make this in NZ?

Thanks in advance, in reading these posts, I am in awe of your knowledge!

Cheers

Tom

1. Switch on radio

Cheers, Jochen

I have a 2007 E90 325i Motorsport fitted with iDrive, which was imported from Japan.

Is there any way to reprogram this so that radio can pick up all NZ frequencies?

Yes, but not easy. You need to code the vehicle for the NZ market.

Can only be done with BMW diagnostic tools and knowledge...

Can a band expander even be fitted to an idrive radio?

Yes. But this is the cheapest shittiest solution man could ever think off. In line with fitting a coat hanger for an aerial.

Also the navigation on the idrive...what (if any) is the procedure to make this in NZ?

Change nav unit (physical unit) and recode vehicle for NZ market

Edited by jochen

Hi Jochen,

Many thanks for your advise on reprogramming Jap BMW radio. I followed your instructions and unfortunately it did not work. I think it is because although my car is of year 2000, the radio was actually manufactured in 1999 and hence it is not working. I was wondering if you have any idea about it? It did not show Japan or Oceania....The other thing is regarding second hand radio that you mentioned in your article. I was wondering if you have any cd player that I might be able to fit in my car from the old bmw? My car is 320i. Also do you know what sort of speakers i will need if I need to upgrade my current speakers? Many thanks for your help. Asher