Sign in to follow this  
jochen

How to reprogram Jap BMW radio to NZ frequencies..

Hi Jochen,

Many thanks for your advise on reprogramming Jap BMW radio. I followed your instructions and unfortunately it did not work. I think it is because although my car is of year 2000, the radio was actually manufactured in 1999 and hence it is not working. I was wondering if you have any idea about it? It did not show Japan or Oceania....The other thing is regarding second hand radio that you mentioned in your article. I was wondering if you have any cd player that I might be able to fit in my car from the old bmw? My car is 320i. Also do you know what sort of speakers i will need if I need to upgrade my current speakers? Many thanks for your help. Asher

In the absense of Jochen on here at present = NO, your radio is to old for world programming. Programmable radios came out around the 09/2001 date, previous to that - market specific.

You need to replace the radio. You can get a CD version (from memory) to suit for replacement.

Speakers: From my perspective - whatever you can fit or prepared to make fit as long as they are a match to the amplification being used - factory or aftermarket

Many thanks for your advise on reprogramming Jap BMW radio. I followed your instructions and unfortunately it did not work. I think it is because although my car is of year 2000, the radio was actually manufactured in 1999 and hence it is not working. I was wondering if you have any idea about it? It did not show Japan or Oceania....The other thing is regarding second hand radio that you mentioned in your article. I was wondering if you have any cd player that I might be able to fit in my car from the old bmw? My car is 320i. Also do you know what sort of speakers i will need if I need to upgrade my current speakers? Many thanks for your help. Asher

See what hotwire said. He is right.

Yes, but not easy. You need to code the vehicle for the NZ market.

Can only be done with BMW diagnostic tools and knowledge...

Yes. But this is the cheapest shittiest solution man could ever think off. In line with fitting a coat hanger for an aerial.

Change nav unit (physical unit) and recode vehicle for NZ market

Hi Jochen

When you say change the nav unit are you just talking about the unit in the boot or the whole CCC? I have an E60 from Japan. Sorting issues one at a time. :wacko: Jim

Hi Jochen

When you say change the nav unit are you just talking about the unit in the boot or the whole CCC? I have an E60 from Japan. Sorting issues one at a time. :wacko: Jim

With the Euro E60 everything is in the dash - nav drive incl computer on the Euro car

With the Jap car it has a separate nav drive in the boot.

So you need to remove the JNAV in the boot and replace the CCC in the front with the Euro CCC

and then go through the coding headaches.

It would pay to study the wiring diagrams to confirm what config you have and compare to Euro car.

Look for the WDS online.

Study device N38a, that's the CCC/M-ASK, and it feeds the CID with a picture.

CCC = car communications coontroller

M-ASK = MOST audio system controller

• Like 1

In the absense of Jochen on here at present = NO, your radio is to old for world programming. Programmable radios came out around the 09/2001 date, previous to that - market specific.

You need to replace the radio. You can get a CD version (from memory) to suit for replacement.

Speakers: From my perspective - whatever you can fit or prepared to make fit as long as they are a match to the amplification being used - factory or aftermarket

Thank heaps, I really appreciate your time and valuable advise. I will look for a cd player version and then try to change the speakers if I can. Cheers Asher

Hi Jochen

i have an e39 523i with a jap stereo. the car was manufactured 12/96.

i need to replace the radio inorder to get nz frequencies.

so my question is am i able to swap it with any e39 stereo or are there compatability issues that mean i will need to use components from a similar year car? (eg i can get a 2000+ e39 business headunit along with the matching multi information display, will this work in my car and will it be a simple matter of unbolting the old components and fitting the 2000+ ones or will i run in to difficulties with the multi information display/on board computer if i use the later model components?

also could you confirm whether the e39 stereo has the tuner inside the head unit or does it have a seperate tuner box?

thanks for your assistance with this :)

Hi Jochen

i have an e39 523i with a jap stereo. the car was manufactured 12/96.

i need to replace the radio inorder to get nz frequencies.

so my question is am i able to swap it with any e39 stereo or are there compatability issues that mean i will need to use components from a similar year car? (eg i can get a 2000+ e39 business headunit along with the matching multi information display, will this work in my car and will it be a simple matter of unbolting the old components and fitting the 2000+ ones or will i run in to difficulties with the multi information display/on board computer if i use the later model components?

also could you confirm whether the e39 stereo has the tuner inside the head unit or does it have a seperate tuner box?

thanks for your assistance with this :)

There are 5 different radio combinations for the E39 (disregarding other items like amplifier and speaker combinations)

To answer your questions in detail, I'd need to know exactly what you have now, and the best way is to post a photo.

If you already have a MID today, you just change the radio and keep your MID

Only non-navigation systems have the tuner in the head unit. If you have navigation, the tuner is n the boot.

Generally, you can plug-and-play swap out any old generation (OG) radio for a new OG radio

OG = prior 20001-09, round-pins on main connector

NG (new gen) = post 2001-09, flat pins

NG means wiring loom adapters required, and replacement antenna amplifier required.

Edited by jochen

With the Euro E60 everything is in the dash - nav drive incl computer on the Euro car

With the Jap car it has a separate nav drive in the boot.

So you need to remove the JNAV in the boot and replace the CCC in the front with the Euro CCC

and then go through the coding headaches.

It would pay to study the wiring diagrams to confirm what config you have and compare to Euro car.

Look for the WDS online.

Study device N38a, that's the CCC/M-ASK, and it feeds the CID with a picture.

CCC = car communications coontroller

M-ASK = MOST audio system controller

OK so my E60 is a 2007 M5. I've looked at the WDS and there are fairly large differences. I am particularly nervous about part numbers for the CCC. e-Bay have Euro CCC's but they keep quoting different part numbers. Do you know what CCC they put in the NZ ones? The parts I have been quoted include 6583 915 9028 and 6583 6987689 - 02 and 6583 9148 016 - 01 and her's the most recent one I've ben given 6583 6953773-04 all claiming to be from Euro E60's.

Edited by Streb

OK so my E60 is a 2007 M5. I've looked at the WDS and there are fairly large differences. I am particularly nervous about part numbers for the CCC. e-Bay have Euro CCC's but they keep quoting different part numbers. Do you know what CCC they put in the NZ ones? The parts I have been quoted include 6583 915 9028 and 6583 6987689 - 02 and 6583 9148 016 - 01

Without trying to give you cold feet - as Jochen said - change the units THEN sort the coding headaches.

I know of a couple of instances where this conversion has been tried & ended in tears.

Changing hardware - easy, getting it to talk to the car - not so.

Not saying not doable - but tread with caution.

OK so my E60 is a 2007 M5. I've looked at the WDS and there are fairly large differences. I am particularly nervous about part numbers for the CCC. e-Bay have Euro CCC's but they keep quoting different part numbers. Do you know what CCC they put in the NZ ones? The parts I have been quoted include 6583 915 9028 and 6583 6987689 - 02 and 6583 9148 016 - 01

You are right to be nervous, it is not an easy task to convert

NZ is a ECE car, so anything ECE will work

Part numbers change all the time due to policies of continued improvement.

Refer to the parts database and the succession list to see what parts were used when, and what succeeded what

Hi Jochen

thanks for the informaton re stereos, the compatability of the newer stereos with older cars and multi info displays was exactly what i needed to know.

cheers

john

Here's a useful 'How to' for BMW fans:

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!

Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

THANK YOU!!!! I wish I had found this post earlier! Now i just need to figure out how to get my band expander out, haha.

Here's a useful 'How to' for BMW fans:

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!

Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

Hi,

i have a 2005 E60 bmw 530i imported frm japan. same problem! radio and satnav. any solution?

Azlan

That procedure no good for E60. Only solution for radio reprogramming that I know of is BM Workshop in Auckland.

Nav, to my knowledge - not feasible to change. Hardware can be changed but there are serious issues with reprograming the car

Extracted from the WDS:

Brief description of radio

For the E90, there are four radio levels as optional extras.

Radio Audio without drive

Radio Business CD with CD drive

Radio Professional with CD-ROM drive

Radio Professional with MD drive

In addition, the navigation system Business (M-ASK) and navigation system Professional (CCC) can also be chosen. Different audio system can be combined with the radios. As standard, the stereo system is fitted with all radios (no external amplifier).

Audio program

The audio systems in the BMW 1 Series are divided into 3 levels:

Stereo system

HiFi system

Top Hi-Fi system

The audio systems differ in that various sound pressures can be achieved or there is improved system linearity. The stereo system consists of 6 loudspeakers; the HiFi system or top-hifi system consists of 10 loudspeakers and various additional amplifiers. The central bass speakers are located under the front seats.

Aerials

Rear-window aerials and a roof-mounted aerial are used in the E87. The rear-window aerials deliver the signals for the reception of FM. The roof-mounted aerial receives the signals for the telephone, FM and AM. Antenna diversity is fitted on the Radio Business CD and Radio Professional or higher. Antenna diversity contains the aerial amplifiers. Antenna diversity switches the aerials for FM.

Service mode

Proceed as follows to call up the Service mode:

Terminal 30g ON

Switch off the radio

Switch on the radio again

Within 8s for a duration of 8s, press the button for manual station-search function

The radio switches into the Service mode

So put the radio into service mode and see if you have an AREA option available to you. If so, set it to EUROPE.

hello

i have question

what is this "Terminal 30g ON"

sorry i dont write wery well ang.

hello

i have question

what is this "Terminal 30g ON"

sorry i dont write wery well ang.

30g is ignition power

Turn on 30g means turn the ignition on to Pos1.

Extracted from the WDS:

Brief description of radio

For the E90, there are four radio levels as optional extras.

Radio Audio without drive

Radio Business CD with CD drive

Radio Professional with CD-ROM drive

Radio Professional with MD drive

In addition, the navigation system Business (M-ASK) and navigation system Professional (CCC) can also be chosen. Different audio system can be combined with the radios. As standard, the stereo system is fitted with all radios (no external amplifier).

Audio program

The audio systems in the BMW 1 Series are divided into 3 levels:

Stereo system

HiFi system

Top Hi-Fi system

The audio systems differ in that various sound pressures can be achieved or there is improved system linearity. The stereo system consists of 6 loudspeakers; the HiFi system or top-hifi system consists of 10 loudspeakers and various additional amplifiers. The central bass speakers are located under the front seats.

Aerials

Rear-window aerials and a roof-mounted aerial are used in the E87. The rear-window aerials deliver the signals for the reception of FM. The roof-mounted aerial receives the signals for the telephone, FM and AM. Antenna diversity is fitted on the Radio Business CD and Radio Professional or higher. Antenna diversity contains the aerial amplifiers. Antenna diversity switches the aerials for FM.

Service mode

Proceed as follows to call up the Service mode:

Terminal 30g ON

Switch off the radio

Within 8s for a duration of 8s, press the button for manual station-search function

The radio switches into the Service mode

So put the radio into service mode and see if you have an AREA option available to you. If so, set it to EUROPE.

I have bmw e90 325i 2006 vin kx66252 ver.USA

radio Professional with cd and dvd Top Hi-Fi system

radio frequencies is USA I want reprogram on europa frequencies

''Terminal 30g ON

Switch off the radio

The radio switches into the Service mode''

it's doesn't work with my car ,maybe I doing somthing wrong

please help me, my ideas is ended

post-5752-1278841232.jpg

Edited by emiloo

I have bmw e90 325i 2006 vin kx66252 ver.USA

radio Professional with cd and dvd Top Hi-Fi system

radio frequencies is USA I want reprogram on europa frequencies

''Terminal 30g ON

Switch off the radio

The radio switches into the Service mode''

it's doesn't work with my car ,maybe I doing somthing wrong

please help me, my ideas is ended

E90 does not use same procedure to access the Service Menu as the older ibus cars

You can get some service data but it does not help as you cannot change anything

Changes can only be done by dealers with dealer software.

Hi I've got a '99 740i from Japan and wanna get radio/nav working.

Have already bought a '03+ bm53 & was looking for round to flat conversion cable.

Now I'm wondering if I already have that radio module, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also I take it I have to by mk3/4 nav module or does anyone have a list of part needed to upgrade from Japanese setup?

Thanks in advance!

Caleb

Hi I've got a '99 740i from Japan and wanna get radio/nav working.

Have already bought a '03+ bm53 & was looking for round to flat conversion cable.

Now I'm wondering if I already have that radio module, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also I take it I have to by mk3/4 nav module or does anyone have a list of part needed to upgrade from Japanese setup?

Thanks in advance!

Caleb

The 1999 E38 has an old generation radio, so BM53 will not fit without the adapter.

BMW sell the conversion cable

Note: BM53s are I think only used in the USA, did you get yours from the USA? It may locked to USA-only region. But you'll find out when you switch it on :-)

As for the nav unit, you need the Mk3 or Mk4, and the connectors + pins.

Connectors + pins can be bought from BMW

Item #9 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=61&fg=15

You may also need a GPS antenna extension or adapter cable, depending on what type of GPS receiver is in the Japanese car.

The 1999 E38 has an old generation radio, so BM53 will not fit without the adapter.

BMW sell the conversion cable

Note: BM53s are I think only used in the USA, did you get yours from the USA? It may locked to USA-only region. But you'll find out when you switch it on :-)

As for the nav unit, you need the Mk3 or Mk4, and the connectors + pins.

Connectors + pins can be bought from BMW

Item #9 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=61&fg=15

You may also need a GPS antenna extension or adapter cable, depending on what type of GPS receiver is in the Japanese car.

Thanks so much for the info!

Yes its a US BM53 but was told that you can change the region from the service menu.

Do you have the parts numbers for the conversion cable? That online store 'bimmernav' sells a conversion cable but its really pricey at US$150.

So with the nav, I take it I'll be replacing the connectors on my existing wiring? Are there any more detailed instructions out there detailing this?

Caleb

Thanks so much for the info!

Yes its a US BM53 but was told that you can change the region from the service menu.

Do you have the parts numbers for the conversion cable? That online store 'bimmernav' sells a conversion cable but its really pricey at US$150.

So with the nav, I take it I'll be replacing the connectors on my existing wiring? Are there any more detailed instructions out there detailing this?

Caleb

Old gen to New gen adapter cabling

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=07

How to access radio Service Menu and change Area:

http://www.ge39.com/files/ngradios.pdf

Retrofit of the navigation system:

http://www.e38.org/e38_nav_retrofit.pdf

The retrofit shows you the wiring for the Mk4 or Mk3 nav

The wiring colours are the same

If you get stuck anywhere, just ask.

I have a 2007 E90 325 Motorsport (Japanese import, to New Zealand). The common wisdom seems to be that the actual radio hardware (or 'CCC') needs to be replaced for the radio to work in New Zealand and receive all radio stations. Am pleased to say that it appears that this is not actually the case..

This afternoon Renming (also on this forum) came around and recoded the radio for me, and I now have a fully functioning, effectively NZ new radio, with all the station tags functioning. Am very happy with it.

For anyone in New Zealand, certainly would recommend getting in touch with him. He's done some jobs for people overseas too. Contact below:

Renming

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showuser=3772

Thanks Renming - really good work.

• Like 1

Old gen to New gen adapter cabling

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=07

How to access radio Service Menu and change Area:

http://www.ge39.com/files/ngradios.pdf

Retrofit of the navigation system:

http://www.e38.org/e38_nav_retrofit.pdf

The retrofit shows you the wiring for the Mk4 or Mk3 nav

The wiring colours are the same

If you get stuck anywhere, just ask.

Cheers Jochen, I'm just trying to get a good price on a mk4 now.

I did on the weekend install a 16:9 screen in place of my 4:3 - didn't realise there was an plastic pipe in th way but heatgun sorted that :) It works fine but stays in 4:3 format, although for a moment when I first plugged it in the screen formatted itself for 16:9 but then flicked back to 4:3. Any ideas on this?

Caleb

Cheers Jochen, I'm just trying to get a good price on a mk4 now.

I did on the weekend install a 16:9 screen in place of my 4:3 - didn't realise there was an plastic pipe in th way but heatgun sorted that :) It works fine but stays in 4:3 format, although for a moment when I first plugged it in the screen formatted itself for 16:9 but then flicked back to 4:3. Any ideas on this?

Caleb

If the 16:9 screen stays in 4:3 format then the video module fitted does not support 16:9

Video modules with firmware of (I think) v13 and higher have16:9 support, which means around 2001 and later

Solution is two fold:

1. Replace video module with a newer unit, or

2. Unplug video module (you loose TV function) and connect blue plug direct to Mk3 o4 Mk3 navigation unit. (Assuming you have Mk3 or Mk4 navigation fitted).

And the proper solution with the pipe was to fit a new pipe :-)