Sign in to follow this  
jochen

How to reprogram Jap BMW radio to NZ frequencies..

That procedure no good for E60. Only solution for radio reprogramming that I know of is BM Workshop in Auckland.

Nav, to my knowledge - not feasible to change. Hardware can be changed but there are serious issues with reprograming the car

Well, I can also do it and convert Japan Navi to NZ for E90,E60,E87,E63

Yes the coding part will be tricky and in order to code the car to NZ NEW you need to know what you are doing otherwise, when the car is back to BMW station, then nothing can be programmed or coded.

Sometime the ECU part number need to be changed as well.

Well, I can also do it and convert Japan Navi to NZ for E90,E60,E87,E63

Yes the coding part will be tricky and in order to code the car to NZ NEW you need to know what you are doing otherwise, when the car is back to BMW station, then nothing can be programmed or coded.

Sometime the ECU part number need to be changed as well.

Hi There,

Do you have information to change the radio frequencies on a 2001 E39?

Hi There,

I do. Depending on build date in 01 as to whether it has world tuner or not.

PM me

Hi There,

The answer is written in the first entry of this thread.

Hi Jochem, I have 2000 540i Motorsport with the wide screen, Japanese import and want to change the raio to NZ frequencies.

I've followed instructions as below and tried the 'selec't' button as no 'm'button - does not work.

Can you please advise any other buttons\sequences to try?

Regards

Roger

Here's a useful 'How to' for BMW fans:

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!

Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

Hi Jochem, I have 2000 540i Motorsport with the wide screen, Japanese import and want to change the raio to NZ frequencies.

I've followed instructions as below and tried the 'selec't' button as no 'm'button - does not work.

Regards

Roger

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

stick the VIN of the car into that tool, will show the build date, likley that you dont have the world tuner.

Check your build date. If prior to 09/2001, then you won't have the reprogrammable world tuner

For your 540i, it would have had the Becker BM23 Professional RDS radio fitted as standard in Europe.

This will be plug and play with your vehicle.

However note that sometimes the BM23 cannot display info on the Jap nav system,

if you downgrade to the Philips PH7851 Business RDS, then it will be plug and play with the Jap system BUT only has the single tuner, and is not as high quality as the Professional RDS:

Best solution:

Fit the Mk4 nav system

Fit the BM23 Professional RDS radio

Then you have full original-equipment and original Euro-spec car, as specified in the factory

and a fully functioning, totally integrated radio and nav systems

Best solution:

Fit the Mk4 nav system

Fit the BM23 Professional RDS radio

Then you have full original-equipment and original Euro-spec car, as specified in the factory

and a fully functioning, totally integrated radio and nav systems

I have purchased a BM23 radio module to replace my Japanese radio. I read somewhere that you can unplug the useless Japanese navigation computer and run using the TV tuner. Is this right and what will I lose, if anything? (I am running a Dice media bridge in place of the CD changer).

If so, what is the procedure?

Graeme

I have purchased a BM23 radio module to replace my Japanese radio. I read somewhere that you can unplug the useless Japanese navigation computer and run using the TV tuner. Is this right and what will I lose, if anything? (I am running a Dice media bridge in place of the CD changer).

If so, what is the procedure?

Graeme

Yup Graeme - just disconnect/remove the jap nav computer, depending on video module (TV) version, it will either reboot staight away on VM graphics or will reboot AFTER car has gone to sleep & woken. You lose nothing.

Best solution though - convert the Nav to Euro & fit a reverse camera too :)

One the subject of Jap radios has anyone done the RCA output mods on a BM53 tuner for pluging into aftermarket amps to bypass the balanced audio output stage ?

Hi,

I have checked the build date of my car - it is 2001/09 - does this have the world radio.

I have got a 2001 e39 540i my radio doesn't have an 'm' button to hold down. Does this mean I miss out?

Cheers

Murray

Edited by Muzza48

Hi,

I have checked the build date of my car - it is 2001/09 - does this have the world radio.

I have got a 2001 e39 540i my radio doesn't have an 'm' button to hold down. Does this mean I miss out?

Cheers

Murray

Yours is on the changeover so may be either way. Does it have a monitor or just radio in the dash?

Yours is on the changeover so may be either way. Does it have a monitor or just radio in the dash?

Hi

It's got the 19:6 monitor in the dash and a 6 disc CD chAnger in the boot, which I have just changed to an MP3 player from bimmernav.

With my luck it will be the older radio - does anyone know how I can find out what model radio it is?

Thanks for your response

PM me & will go through things with you

Thanks for all your help Hotwire.

In the end I was at an auto electricians on a different matter and he removed the 12 pin plug on the nav system; when he reconnected I could suddenly reprogram my radio. Not sure if anyone else knows about this.

Hi. I have just purchased a 2006 E85 Z4M roadster. It is ex-Japan and fitted with a "BMW Navigation System". I wish to 1. use the FM tuner on NZ frequencies

2. use the navigation function

I've tried to follow the 5 steps in your post but there is no "m" button to press/hold, only a "mode" and "menu" button. Do you know how to get into service menu on a Navigation System?

Can anyone provide a lead to have the navigation mode made functional for NZ.

Thanks

Hi. I have just purchased a 2006 E85 Z4M roadster. It is ex-Japan and fitted with a "BMW Navigation System". I wish to 1. use the FM tuner on NZ frequencies

I've tried to follow the 5 steps in your post but there is no "m" button to press/hold, only a "mode" and "menu" button. Do you know how to get into service menu on a Navigation System?

Thanks

Where are you located ?

Where are you located ?

Hi Glenn I'm in Auckland CBD

Radio can be reprogrammed by hand

Nav Computer must be replaced and then full NZ nav is possible

Radio can be reprogrammed by hand

Nav Computer must be replaced and then full NZ nav is possible

Thanks Jochen, Glen & Joe Clifton

With help from each of you I have reprogrammed my tuner to "Oceania" (OCE) from "Japan". The procedure for my Navigation System / CID radio with TV/GPS monitor is

1. Turn ignition to "accessory" position

2. Turn radio on

3. Immediately press the "SEL" button & hold for at least 8 seconds until the serial number appears indicating you have entered the radio's service mode.

4. Cycle through the functions using the "< >" station search buttons until you see "JAPAN"

5. Use the 1.2.3.4.5.6 buttons to scroll through the different AREA options until you come to OCEANIA ('OCE")

6. Switch off radio to store the change

The RDS features are now available & the correct frequency displays for each station from 87 - 108 Mhz :-))

Re the Navigation System - I've had one quote for $1250 but at that figure will not be rushing..... Any lower prices out there?? Trade Me has an ad by certain person from Te Awamutu who may just be on this forum....

Re the Navigation System - I've had one quote for $1250 but at that figure will not be rushing..... Any lower prices out there?? Trade Me has an ad by certain person from Te Awamutu who may just be on this forum....

He is on this forum :) (but not me)

If you don't want to pay the money for someone else to do it, then do it yourself.

You'll need a BMW Mk4 nav computer, search ebay for the current going rates....

Hey there, just reading your thread on converting e46 head unit to NZ freq.

I just bought an E46 and wanted to switch it to NZ freq. However there is no area option in my settings after holding down m for 10 seconds. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Miles

What is the build date of the car?