Sign in to follow this  
jochen

How to reprogram Jap BMW radio to NZ frequencies..

17 hours ago, Mars said:

Hi
I have a 2007 750i

Wanna change the radio frequency from Japan to Oceania or Europe & i read Jochen's post on the same

It says when the Radio turns on press the 'M" button - where is that "M' button ??? I don't see it anywhere

Is it the Main i drive round knob you referring to ... Please help ...

Thanks

You need to have the radio system reprogrammed, there's no other way on your car.

Ask around if someone can reprogram for you

Another option i have is - I have an older 2005 NZ 750i  which has its own radio unit capable of recving nz stations - can that be retrofitted into the 2007 750i
if so, where exactly in the boot is that unit ? is it part of the amplifier unit or is the radio tuner a seperate unit
Thanx
On the same note even the Nav unit in teh 2007 is a PCP card & i have a NZ nav unit but with a DVD in the old car - can those be swapped as well to the 2007 750i
Thanx

Hi
Fourth generation (E65/E66/E67/E68; 2002–2008) 750i - 2007
& Fourth generation (E65/E66/E67/E68; 2002–2008) 750i - 2005
They look identical in all respects - internally i am not aware if there were factory spec changes / modifications made - no clue

The older 750i (2005) isn't goin so thats why i was wondering if i can swap over the Nav & radio unit to the 2007 750i

also the Nav unit in the new 2007 car needs a PCP card - which AKL city BMW said they do not support (since mine is an import)
& the older 750i Nav unit is a normal DVD Nav unit

& reprogramming these chaps charge 800-1000 bucks don't they ???
wouldn't it be cheaper to jus swap over the 2 units from the 2005 to the 2007 car

Your suggestions ....

Regards

Whilst the car looks identical from the outside you always have to remember you cannot see the loaded software versions, and that the VIN number is stored in many devices.

My recommendation is to change the radio bands using BMW software. This will avoid all issues with incompatible parts, inconpatible functions, and incompatible VIN numbers.

You are free to make your own decision as to whether you follow my recommendation or not.

And whether it is "cheap" or "expensive" is entirely relative to your personal financial situation, that is for you to decide.

Does anyone have any idea how to do the radio module update from OCEANA to EUROPE on a MK3/Mk4 wide-screen Nav unit on a 2002 E39?

Part number on my HU is 65.52-6 916 610

TIA

Edited by spuckle

I used Jochen's method to change mine over - should work for you!

21 hours ago, spuckle said:

Does anyone have any idea how to do the radio module update from OCEANA to EUROPE on a MK3/Mk4 wide-screen Nav unit on a 2002 E39?

Part number on my HU is 65.52-6 916 610

TIA

Use your fingers, no other tools required.

I'm sure I wrote how on this forum somewhere....

• Thanks 1

Hi Jochen

I have a BMW 740i E65 09-2006 from Japan.

I followed the instructions below, but with step 2 nothing happens, no serial number no service menu.

is there a way to change the tuner to Europa?

Many thanks,

Jo

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!

Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

1 hour ago, Jol said:

Hi Jochen

I have a BMW 740i E65 09-2006 from Japan.

I followed the instructions below, but with step 2 nothing happens, no serial number no service menu.

is there a way to change the tuner to Europa?

Many thanks,

Jo

The E65 has to be reprogrammed using BMW software tools

Thank you for your quick response.

Can you tell a little bit more, can I get BMW software tools, what kind of tools, how is it called?

Or do I need to go to a BMW dealer.. they don’t want to cooperate very much because the BMW is imported ! :(

(I’ve got the same problem with the sat-nav and the telephone)

Regards, 

Jo

46 minutes ago, Jol said:

Thank you for your quick response.

Can you tell a little bit more, can I get BMW software tools, what kind of tools, how is it called?

Or do I need to go to a BMW dealer.. they don’t want to cooperate very much because the BMW is imported ! :(

(I’ve got the same problem with the sat-nav and the telephone)

Regards, 

Jo

Yes you can get the software. Here's the process:

1. Become an accredited BMW workshop

2. Purchase the software from BMW

Should you chose not to go down that route, then contact a BMW garage - official or independent, your choice

okay clear,

Is it the same story for the sat nav, telephone and TV ?

Or I can do it myself?

Regards, Jo

All,

I know this may have been discussed before - but is there a way to change the idrive radio region (FM frequencies) of 2007 E70 X5 3.0si Japan import from Japan to Oceania (NZ) through the i-drive buttons, without having to "code"?  

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

All,

I know this may have been discussed before - but is there a way to change the idrive radio region (FM frequencies) of 2007 E70 X5 3.0si Japan import from Japan to Oceania (NZ) through the i-drive buttons, without having to "code"?  

Thank you.

No you cannot. As you say - this has been discussed earlier in this thread - have a look through

On 6/13/2018 at 1:10 PM, hotwire said:

No you cannot. As you say - this has been discussed earlier in this thread - have a look through

Thanks @hotwire. Please bear with me ladies and gentlemen. I'm a total noob to BMW and all its hacks.

So my E70 X5 3.0si 2007 is Japanese import. I do not know the process involved in programming. How do I change the FM frequencies to NZ permanently? Is there an OBD Wi-Fi or bluetooth tool and app that can be used easily to accomplish this? If not, what's the easiest way? What are my options? Experts here, I beg not to be flamed for my inexperience.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:52 AM, jochen said:

The E65 has to be reprogrammed using BMW software tools

HI Jochen,

Does the E90 also require reprogramming? I tried using your guide, with no luck.

Thanks

Whether it requires programming depends on a) what market the vehicle is currently programmed for, and b) whether the vehicle will be going to (or is in) a different market which has different programming, and c) whether it has already been programmed for such market.

Obviously I cannot answer those questions as I know nothing about the vehicle in question.

10 minutes ago, jochen said:

Whether it requires programming depends on a) what market the vehicle is currently programmed for, and b) whether the vehicle will be going to (or is in) a different market which has different programming, and c) whether it has already been programmed for such market.

Obviously I cannot answer those questions as I know nothing about the vehicle in question.

Hi Jochen,

This is a Japanese import into NZ. I read in one of these forums that not all post-2000 model BMWs can be set up for Oceania/Europe using the steps you have outlined (pressing the MODE button to get into the service menu), and may require reprogramming.

May I PM you the VIN number for you to advise me?

Thanks

On 12/20/2018 at 10:34 AM, denpin said:

Hi Jochen,

This is a Japanese import into NZ. I read in one of these forums that not all post-2000 model BMWs can be set up for Oceania/Europe using the steps you have outlined (pressing the MODE button to get into the service menu), and may require reprogramming.

May I PM you the VIN number for you to advise me?

Thanks

Hi Denpin,

Depends on your car, Idrive or normal radio?

On 4/23/2019 at 3:48 PM, rkl said:

Hi Denpin,

Depends on your car, Idrive or normal radio?

Hi Ravnit,

This one has the normal radio, not I Drive.

On 4/24/2019 at 5:13 PM, denpin said:

Hi Ravnit,

This one has the normal radio, not I Drive.

Then you should be able to change with the "m" button method. Give it a go, can take a couple of attempts to get it write. 

If Idrive, then would need to reprogram via OBD

On 4/8/2006 at 11:30 PM, jochen said:

Here's a useful 'How to' for BMW fans:

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!

Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

wish i had seen this earlier just had 335i 2007 wagon reprogrammed to NZ frequencies at a cost of $180 + GST in wellington without band expander work awesome all stations

what is your email please can you help with nav system as well

works awesome