Welcome to bimmersport.co.nz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to reprogram Jap BMW radio to NZ frequencies..

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

dnkx

dnkx

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Name: Barney
  • Car:.
  • Car 2:e28 m535i
Hi Jochen thanks for the informaton re stereos, the compatability of the newer stereos with older cars and multi info displays was exactly what i needed to know. cheers john

reelGOOD

reelGOOD

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Car:2001 525i M

Here's a useful 'How to' for BMW fans:

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).
They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio
2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.
3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)
4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.
5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!
Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

THANK YOU!!!! I wish I had found this post earlier! Now i just need to figure out how to get my band expander out, haha.
www.reelgood.co.nz

azlan

azlan

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: azlan ali
  • Car:BMW 530i

Here's a useful 'How to' for BMW fans:

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).
They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio
2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.
3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)
4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.
5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!
Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

Hi,

i have a 2005 E60 bmw 530i imported frm japan. same problem! radio and satnav. any solution?

Azlan

hotwire

hotwire

Grant

• Race Series Competitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Name: Grant M
  • Car:99 E39 525i
  • Car 2:78 E12 520i

• Race Car: E30 320i
  • Car No. #63
That procedure no good for E60. Only solution for radio reprogramming that I know of is BM Workshop in Auckland. Nav, to my knowledge - not feasible to change. Hardware can be changed but there are serious issues with reprograming the car

emiloo

emiloo

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: emiloo
  • Car:325i e90

Extracted from the WDS:

Brief description of radio
For the E90, there are four radio levels as optional extras.

Radio Audio without drive
Radio Business CD with CD drive
Radio Professional with CD-ROM drive
Radio Professional with MD drive

In addition, the navigation system Business (M-ASK) and navigation system Professional (CCC) can also be chosen. Different audio system can be combined with the radios. As standard, the stereo system is fitted with all radios (no external amplifier).

Audio program
The audio systems in the BMW 1 Series are divided into 3 levels:

Stereo system
HiFi system
Top Hi-Fi system

The audio systems differ in that various sound pressures can be achieved or there is improved system linearity. The stereo system consists of 6 loudspeakers; the HiFi system or top-hifi system consists of 10 loudspeakers and various additional amplifiers. The central bass speakers are located under the front seats.

Aerials
Rear-window aerials and a roof-mounted aerial are used in the E87. The rear-window aerials deliver the signals for the reception of FM. The roof-mounted aerial receives the signals for the telephone, FM and AM. Antenna diversity is fitted on the Radio Business CD and Radio Professional or higher. Antenna diversity contains the aerial amplifiers. Antenna diversity switches the aerials for FM.

Service mode
Proceed as follows to call up the Service mode:

Terminal 30g ON
Switch off the radio
Switch on the radio again
Within 8s for a duration of 8s, press the button for manual station-search function
The radio switches into the Service mode

So put the radio into service mode and see if you have an AREA option available to you. If so, set it to EUROPE.

hello
i have question
what is this "Terminal 30g ON"
sorry i dont write wery well ang.

jochen

jochen

4th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Car:Now: 2007 Turbocharged German PKW Used to have: 97 E39 540i Montreal Blue, fully optioned (since sold)

hello
i have question
what is this "Terminal 30g ON"
sorry i dont write wery well ang.

30g is ignition power

Turn on 30g means turn the ignition on to Pos1.
mmm... BMW 540i.... burble burble guzzle guzzle ROARRRRR....

emiloo

emiloo

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: emiloo
  • Car:325i e90

Extracted from the WDS:

Brief description of radio
For the E90, there are four radio levels as optional extras.

Radio Audio without drive
Radio Business CD with CD drive
Radio Professional with CD-ROM drive
Radio Professional with MD drive

In addition, the navigation system Business (M-ASK) and navigation system Professional (CCC) can also be chosen. Different audio system can be combined with the radios. As standard, the stereo system is fitted with all radios (no external amplifier).

Audio program
The audio systems in the BMW 1 Series are divided into 3 levels:

Stereo system
HiFi system
Top Hi-Fi system

The audio systems differ in that various sound pressures can be achieved or there is improved system linearity. The stereo system consists of 6 loudspeakers; the HiFi system or top-hifi system consists of 10 loudspeakers and various additional amplifiers. The central bass speakers are located under the front seats.

Aerials
Rear-window aerials and a roof-mounted aerial are used in the E87. The rear-window aerials deliver the signals for the reception of FM. The roof-mounted aerial receives the signals for the telephone, FM and AM. Antenna diversity is fitted on the Radio Business CD and Radio Professional or higher. Antenna diversity contains the aerial amplifiers. Antenna diversity switches the aerials for FM.

Service mode
Proceed as follows to call up the Service mode:

Terminal 30g ON
Switch off the radio
Within 8s for a duration of 8s, press the button for manual station-search function
The radio switches into the Service mode

So put the radio into service mode and see if you have an AREA option available to you. If so, set it to EUROPE.

I have bmw e90 325i 2006 vin kx66252 ver.USA
radio Professional with cd and dvd Top Hi-Fi system
radio frequencies is USA I want reprogram on europa frequencies

''Terminal 30g ON
Switch off the radio
The radio switches into the Service mode''
it's doesn't work with my car ,maybe I doing somthing wrong
please help me, my ideas is ended

Attached Files

Edited by emiloo, 11 July 2010 - 09:41 PM.

jochen

jochen

4th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Car:Now: 2007 Turbocharged German PKW Used to have: 97 E39 540i Montreal Blue, fully optioned (since sold)

I have bmw e90 325i 2006 vin kx66252 ver.USA
radio Professional with cd and dvd Top Hi-Fi system
radio frequencies is USA I want reprogram on europa frequencies

''Terminal 30g ON
Switch off the radio
The radio switches into the Service mode''
it's doesn't work with my car ,maybe I doing somthing wrong
please help me, my ideas is ended

E90 does not use same procedure to access the Service Menu as the older ibus cars

You can get some service data but it does not help as you cannot change anything

Changes can only be done by dealers with dealer software.

c413b

c413b

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Caleb Rusbatch
  • Car:'99 740i
Hi I've got a '99 740i from Japan and wanna get radio/nav working. Have already bought a '03+ bm53 & was looking for round to flat conversion cable. Now I'm wondering if I already have that radio module, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Also I take it I have to by mk3/4 nav module or does anyone have a list of part needed to upgrade from Japanese setup? Thanks in advance! Caleb

jochen

jochen

4th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Hi I've got a '99 740i from Japan and wanna get radio/nav working.

Have already bought a '03+ bm53 & was looking for round to flat conversion cable.

Now I'm wondering if I already have that radio module, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also I take it I have to by mk3/4 nav module or does anyone have a list of part needed to upgrade from Japanese setup?

Thanks in advance!

Caleb

The 1999 E38 has an old generation radio, so BM53 will not fit without the adapter.
BMW sell the conversion cable
Note: BM53s are I think only used in the USA, did you get yours from the USA? It may locked to USA-only region. But you'll find out when you switch it on :-)

As for the nav unit, you need the Mk3 or Mk4, and the connectors + pins.
Connectors + pins can be bought from BMW
Item #9 here:
http://www.realoem.c...o...hg=61&fg=15

You may also need a GPS antenna extension or adapter cable, depending on what type of GPS receiver is in the Japanese car.

c413b

c413b

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The 1999 E38 has an old generation radio, so BM53 will not fit without the adapter.
BMW sell the conversion cable
Note: BM53s are I think only used in the USA, did you get yours from the USA? It may locked to USA-only region. But you'll find out when you switch it on :-)

As for the nav unit, you need the Mk3 or Mk4, and the connectors + pins.
Connectors + pins can be bought from BMW
Item #9 here:
http://www.realoem.c...o...hg=61&fg=15

You may also need a GPS antenna extension or adapter cable, depending on what type of GPS receiver is in the Japanese car.

Thanks so much for the info!

Yes its a US BM53 but was told that you can change the region from the service menu.

Do you have the parts numbers for the conversion cable? That online store 'bimmernav' sells a conversion cable but its really pricey at US$150.

So with the nav, I take it I'll be replacing the connectors on my existing wiring? Are there any more detailed instructions out there detailing this?

Caleb

jochen

jochen

4th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Thanks so much for the info!

Yes its a US BM53 but was told that you can change the region from the service menu.

Do you have the parts numbers for the conversion cable? That online store 'bimmernav' sells a conversion cable but its really pricey at US$150.

So with the nav, I take it I'll be replacing the connectors on my existing wiring? Are there any more detailed instructions out there detailing this?

Caleb

Old gen to New gen adapter cabling
http://www.realoem.c...o...hg=65&fg=07

How to access radio Service Menu and change Area:
http://www.ge39.com/files/ngradios.pdf

Retrofit of the navigation system:
http://www.e38.org/e...av_retrofit.pdf

The retrofit shows you the wiring for the Mk4 or Mk3 nav
The wiring colours are the same
If you get stuck anywhere, just ask.

tom2007

tom2007

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Car:2007 BMW 325i E90
I have a 2007 E90 325 Motorsport (Japanese import, to New Zealand). The common wisdom seems to be that the actual radio hardware (or 'CCC') needs to be replaced for the radio to work in New Zealand and receive all radio stations. Am pleased to say that it appears that this is not actually the case..

This afternoon Renming (also on this forum) came around and recoded the radio for me, and I now have a fully functioning, effectively NZ new radio, with all the station tags functioning. Am very happy with it.

For anyone in New Zealand, certainly would recommend getting in touch with him. He's done some jobs for people overseas too. Contact below:

Renming
http://www.bimmerspo...p?showuser=3772

Thanks Renming - really good work.

c413b

c413b

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Old gen to New gen adapter cabling
http://www.realoem.c...o...hg=65&fg=07

How to access radio Service Menu and change Area:
http://www.ge39.com/files/ngradios.pdf

Retrofit of the navigation system:
http://www.e38.org/e...av_retrofit.pdf

The retrofit shows you the wiring for the Mk4 or Mk3 nav
The wiring colours are the same
If you get stuck anywhere, just ask.

Cheers Jochen, I'm just trying to get a good price on a mk4 now.

I did on the weekend install a 16:9 screen in place of my 4:3 - didn't realise there was an plastic pipe in th way but heatgun sorted that :) It works fine but stays in 4:3 format, although for a moment when I first plugged it in the screen formatted itself for 16:9 but then flicked back to 4:3. Any ideas on this?

Caleb

jochen

jochen

4th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Cheers Jochen, I'm just trying to get a good price on a mk4 now.

I did on the weekend install a 16:9 screen in place of my 4:3 - didn't realise there was an plastic pipe in th way but heatgun sorted that :) It works fine but stays in 4:3 format, although for a moment when I first plugged it in the screen formatted itself for 16:9 but then flicked back to 4:3. Any ideas on this?

Caleb

If the 16:9 screen stays in 4:3 format then the video module fitted does not support 16:9

Video modules with firmware of (I think) v13 and higher have16:9 support, which means around 2001 and later

Solution is two fold:
1. Replace video module with a newer unit, or
2. Unplug video module (you loose TV function) and connect blue plug direct to Mk3 o4 Mk3 navigation unit. (Assuming you have Mk3 or Mk4 navigation fitted).

And the proper solution with the pipe was to fit a new pipe :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users