Sign in to follow this  
jochen

How to reprogram Jap BMW radio to NZ frequencies..

Nup, build date of car will indicate what it has

Cheers Jochen, I just found this very usefull, listening to 89.4 all the time, well, it goes without saying!

Hi Guys

This is my first post so wanted to make it a good one :D

I have succeeded in coding my E90 2006 330i BMW Japanese import idrive radio to NZ frequencies finally, and wanted to help others do the same. I searched hundreds of posts and after hours and hours of searching I managed to piece together enough info to do it. Below are the links that I used to help me. Hope this helps

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63494

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...with-NCS-Expert

http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?36...0radio%20region

These are the settings that I changed in the CCC idrive:

CHOST

-------------------------------------------

LAENDERVARIANTE_GT

ece

CTUNE

-------------------------------------------

RDS_AF_FUNKTION_CCC

rds_ein_af_automatisch

LAENDERVARIANTE_TUNER_ANT

ece

CAPPL

-----------------------------------------

LAENDERVAARIANTE_TUNER

ece

• Like 2

Make sure you never let anyone recode your vehicle, because unless you change the country coding of the entire vehicle, the next vehicle recode will revert the settings back to standard (standard for your vehicle country code, which I guess is Japan)

Make sure you never let anyone recode your vehicle, because unless you change the country coding of the entire vehicle, the next vehicle recode will revert the settings back to standard (standard for your vehicle country code, which I guess is Japan)

Thanks for the tip Jochen. Do you mean the next recode of the entire car and is it possible to change the country coding, which you are correct is Japan.

I changed the the ccc settings to "ece" instead of "oceania" because these where the settings that I found but it works great.

PS. I have also read a lot of your posts which helped me alot :D

Edited by AK330i

Hi Jochen, just recently bought a 2002 735i E65 which had been imported from Japan and as a result has the Japanese band limitations. I was about to go and get a band expander fitted but happened across this thread and wondered what (if any) more simplistic solution might work for this particular model?

The drive back from Auckland to Wellington was torture without any music/radio etc so hoping you can help. It also has Japanese satnav but i'm less concerned about that. What I would really like is a solution that gives me NZ radio stations and the option to plug my ipod into an Aux.

Cheers and thanks is advance - Steve

Thanks for the tip Jochen. Do you mean the next recode of the entire car and is it possible to change the country coding, which you are correct is Japan.

I changed the the ccc settings to "ece" instead of "oceania" because these where the settings that I found but it works great.

PS. I have also read a lot of your posts which helped me alot :D

Remember: you only coded the radio, not the car

The BMW coding system works like this:

1. First read the VehicleOrder, and workout the vehicle coding. A part of the vehicle coding is the country code, in your case, it is set to JAPAN

2. Then recode all modules according to the correct coding data for the country variant, in your case: JAPAN

So: if you ever connect to a BMW diagnostic system and the operator does a complete vehicle recode, then it will detect that the current radio coding (set for ECE) does not match the vehicle country coding (set for JAPAN), and it will do it's job and correct the radio coding to what it is programmed to do: JAPAN

Your solution (recode radio only) will work fine as long as you never have a entire vehicle recode

Of course, the proper way to permanently set the vehicle correctly for use in NZ, is to change the Country Coding of the vehicle (by altering the Vehicle Order) to NEW ZEALAND (or OCEANIA or whatever the right value is), and then recode the vehicle.

• Like 1

Hi Jochen, just recently bought a 2002 735i E65 which had been imported from Japan and as a result has the Japanese band limitations. I was about to go and get a band expander fitted but happened across this thread and wondered what (if any) more simplistic solution might work for this particular model?

The drive back from Auckland to Wellington was torture without any music/radio etc so hoping you can help. It also has Japanese satnav but i'm less concerned about that. What I would really like is a solution that gives me NZ radio stations and the option to plug my ipod into an Aux.

Cheers and thanks is advance - Steve

Hi

Do NOT fit a band expander, you will always be disappointed with the results.

If you value your V8 7-series top of the line BMW, then just recode the car. No physical changes necessary, all you do is reprogram the radio tuner.

There are guys on this forum who recode BMWs in NZ (I am not in NZ anymore) so look at the forum posts and search for "recode". hotwire is one guy, he's in Hamilton.

And if you want the nav changed, then you're up for a hardware change. But it is possible. Again, talk to hotwire.

As for the iPod, google "E65 ipod interface" and you will find lots of threads and solutions

Hi i have a 2000 e46 wagon and trying to get the extra radio stations.

I can get into the menu but try to find the Japan setting but it doesnt come up (i cant find it, scrolled through for a while)

Any help???

Hi i have a 2000 e46 wagon and trying to get the extra radio stations.

I can get into the menu but try to find the Japan setting but it doesnt come up (i cant find it, scrolled through for a while)

Any help???

Your car is too early. It has a Jap specific tuner. World tuners came in 09/01> build.

In your case you need to replace the tuner. PM me if you need help

Ha, thread dig! :)

Just picked up an '01 530i wagon (Jap import :( ) and am wondering if it's possible to recode the 16:9 HU to NZ freq.

Type
Value
VIN WBADS62030GL80810 Type code DS62 Type 530I (EUR) E series E39 (2) Series 5 Type TOUR Steering RL Doors 5 Engine M54 Displacement 3.00 Power 170 Drive HECK Transmission AUT Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (354) Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/SCHWARZ (N6SW) Prod.date 2001-07-10

I'm assuming the build date is out by 2 months to have the world radio unit?

HU.htm

Yep, 09/2001 was the changeover. You need a replacement tuner. Plug & Play. PM me for more info

I have a 1999 E39 from Japan. Left hand drive. I have the Philips Nav Radio Tape combo. I bought a used unit from Germany and installed it. However Japanese frequency come up on this unit too. The front of the Japanese unit is stamped Japan LL, and the German one is stamped ECE LL. So why am I still getting Japanese frequencies?

The "radio" is in the boot. The display is just a display really.

Swapping it all over is reasonably complex.

Like hotwire has said you need a Euro radio tuner\module like a BM24. Replace it with the one in the back of the boot and you done or swap in an aftermarket unit like Dynavin or similar.

• Like 1

Thank you very much! Would this one work? How hard is it to replace? Is it access issues or wiring issues?

http://r.ebay.com/wkUuFb

Have got a BM53 Becker tuner unit that I'm not going to use anymore. PM me if interested

Not sure myself but sure im a google search would yield results.

Hi Jochen,

Could you please show me how can I convert my 2005 525i radio freq from Jap to NZ? I'm reading through all the threads but couldn't find any methods that suit my car.

Many thanks

Ban

Hi Jochen,

I have a1997 BMW Z3 and I am having trouble with my radio reception. It was imported from Japan in 2004. I have put In a band expander and new Antenna. I read through your instructions on reprogramming but I only got half way through. I held down "M" for ten seconds and got serial :SN V0627064. I moved across and only these showed up: SV 29-96 06, GaL 5, station 80.2 fM "03, 04, 02"changing.

I tried Turning off the radio at each of these settings but it did not improve reception.

The other options/ components "Japan", European, Oceania...etc did not appear when I pushed 1,2 ,3 to ANY other button .

Please, if you could offer any other advise...I would soo much appreciate it....

Am I going to have to buy a new stereo?...and in fact, is that certain to help reception...

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Kind regards, Crystal

Hi I have a 07 E91 with i drive and would like to convert the radio to New Zealand frequencies. It doesn't have an m or sel button. Can you help please.

Hi I have a 07 E91 with i drive and would like to convert the radio to New Zealand frequencies. It doesn't have an m or sel button. Can you help please.

Hello....did you ever solve this? I have the same issue with my 06 e87.

Any help on E90 '07 model with i-drive is much welcomed in regards to changing the radio area from japan to oce

Regards, George

Nairobi, Kenya.

Edited by waweru.george