Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Ride on Lawnmowers

BMW doesn't make them.  So I have no idea where to start.

Mowing 3500m2 of pasture.  Anyone on here spend some weekend time cruising the paddocks?
Ton of second hand stuff out there.  Which would be preferable.  Rather spend the real money on the garage and a hoist I am continuously reminded that I'm not allowed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I expect a project thread. 
Other ideas include, using any x drive bmw with rear drive connect to a rotary cutting mechanism instead of rear wheels. 

3D24154F-CD31-4D4D-BBB8-9533320C1AB6.jpeg

Haha would be pretty fun.

I actually found a towbar attachment mower.  Self powered you just tow it around.  Lawn mowing time trials?

You will want a pretty wide deck with that much area, otherwise you will be there all day.  That also means you probably want 20hp or more.

If your area is open with few trees you might get away with a manual transmission but a hydro is much more convenient and worth the additional cost.

Get some sheep, will do it all for you!

Flat open ground so yeah I will need a wide deck.

Thought I would just hook up a small dometic fridge with some beers and go at it.

I have always wanted a JD so will take a look at what I can pick up. 

Animals will be on the cards too. But down the track I think. 

We had about the same space and had a shitty Chinese ride on that was about 2k new. After a year we bought a second hand JD one for about 2k, new price 10k. Difference was black and white. Great piece of kit even though it was substantially older.

With that much land a large zero turn might be the way to go, it'll cost you more than a "lawn tractor" type, but will have a much wider cutting deck and save you considerable time.

Dad uses a semi-commercial Husqvarna and loves it, it's massive with a seatbelt and rollbar but it makes short work of his acre.

6 hours ago, Breaker said:

We had about the same space and had a shitty Chinese ride on that was about 2k new. After a year we bought a second hand JD one for about 2k, new price 10k. Difference was black and white. Great piece of kit even though it was substantially older.

What do they say? “Nothing runs like a Deere”

• Like 1

John Deere suits the BMW owner demographic quite well, you will get comprehensively screwed come servicing time ? the twin cylinder Kawasaki engined ones seem to be the ones to get, I got mine (not a Kawasaki engine type) as it was cheap, low hours and local

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

John Deere suits the BMW owner demographic quite well, you will get comprehensively screwed come servicing time ? the twin cylinder Kawasaki engined ones seem to be the ones to get, I got mine (not a Kawasaki engine type) as it was cheap, low hours and local

Does JD have an M Division equivalent? 

Well in true German style, tonight the big bugger took the opportunity to munch it's water pump and dump coolant everywhere. There I was loading up some silage and *sniff sniff* waaait a minute, I recognise that smell...