Sign in to follow this  
redz42

Opinion on 325i wagon

Hi guys, Im new to this page and wanting some opinions on what 325i's are like for ownership/ are they reliable enough?

Im looking at one for $8000 NZ, 325i E90 Touring Edition stationwagon 127,000kms, 2.5L. Comes lowered with Aftermarket mags. Would that be a reasonable price to buy one for? Any concerns at that milage?

Im knew to the euro game so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by redz42

sounds expensive at first glance but without details of spec/options hard to say. also service history can be important.

is it private or dealer?

325i wagons (E91 shape) is a great all round car, have owned two previously. a bit thirsty on fuel around town but fine on open road. not super quick but still enough power for most situations.

i suspect the price is due to "lowered with aftermarket mags" which can be a good or bad thing depending on who it is for. 

much more reliable than 320i and doesnt use any more petrol so just try to find one within budget and you like the look of. try to get one that is well maintained or consider a mechanical warranty if buying from dealer.

post up links of trademe etc if you want opinions on specific cars

• Like 1

Spec looks good for a Jap import, xenons / pan roof / front + rear PDC (rare on jap import) / full leather interior. Ride will be terrible on 19's, my E91 on 17's had a pretty harsh ride. budget for new cooling system for the N52 probably. 9k seems on the high side.

• Like 1

Not an M Sport so doesn’t look externally as good or have the sports seats.

The red body colour over white leather with wood trim is not a common (read popular) combination, so unless it’s really hit a spot with you look for other examples.

E91s are great all round cars, extremely practical and drive nicely, although as above the mags and lowering will probably have a negative effect on that.

• Like 4

On 3/3/2020 at 9:05 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not an M Sport so doesn’t look externally as good or have the sports seats.

The red body colour over white leather with wood trim is not a common (read popular) combination, so unless it’s really hit a spot with you look for other examples.

E91s are great all round cars, extremely practical and drive nicely, although as above the mags and lowering will probably have a negative effect on that.

Would there be any concerns at that sort of mileage or are they fairly reliable?

15 minutes ago, redz42 said:

Would there be any concerns at that sort of mileage or are they fairly reliable?

You’ll probably be up for suspension components soon. But once you’ve done them you wouldn’t have to do them again for the time you owned the car. 

k's mean zippo if its been maintained, the question is - has it been maintained? 

• Like 2

@SmithyInWelly agree re: price on that red one, however at a guess a poorly maintained / non-maintained N54 is an order of magnitude more expensive to keep running than the N52 in the 325? 

I have seen 335i pricing coming down, but not to the point of 335i wagon at $10k.

Yes, the red one is high at $8k but I would say there is still a sizeable gap to a tidy 335i wagon. 

A poor condition 335 would be a much bigger money pit.

My point wasn't "buy a 335i", my point was $8k is strong money for an e91 325i... the 335i mention was merely an illustration of that.

And yes - maybe I'm still a little butt-hurt because I had to give away my NZ new e91 330i for $5k and I still miss that car.

Edited by SmithyInWelly

18 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I have seen 335i pricing coming down, but not to the point of 335i wagon at $10k.

18 months ago I got my e91 335i for 10k with full bolt ons, LSD and stage 2+ mhd and xhp flashes. They're out there if you're patient. 

• Like 1

I bought a tidy 2009 335i LCI wagon about 9 months ago for $10700.

It has done about 158000km's but has been well looked after.

I have done the waterpump and thermostat so far, apart from that it has been smooth sailing.

• Like 1

Only thing I know is that the pano roof on those are real troublesome, both in operation/failure and for leaking and drains blocking. 

The E61 will be even harder on suspension components than the E91 - they have rear air suspension which is expensive to fix too. They're a big bus so won't feel fast even with the 3.0L petrol. 

Hey dude if i can go back to basics a bit here is my humble opinion to someone who hasn't had a Euro before! ( based on my Ownership of 2 BMW's so far):

• i generally give NZ new a bit more priority or at least a well maintained one with service history- unlike Japanese cars that thrive on neglect euros don't ?
  • Lowered cars- i am always a bit dubious of these, BMW's sit pretty low as it is and handle bloody well straight out of the box. Maybe its done well, maybe not but i think these things have an amazing ability to be super smooth  yet turn corners really well i wonder if it is done for anything other than looks? 
  • That burgundy car  auction 2566301665 is the car i would go for, the colour doesn't look as cool in the pictures as the red one you are looking at but i have a friend with a coupe in that colour and it looks awesome in the flesh. Again you want to check on what has been maintained/ replaced lately. 
  • Again i agree with a lot of the guys here; a car with a good service history, stuff done when it should be done would be preferable to one without. 
  • If you are keen on a car firstly find out what has been done to the car, who serviced it and talk to them. If not take it to a reputable mechanic who knows these cars and get them to check it out first. 

i hope this helps, i just know what its like not to know!

Goffy

• Like 3