Sign in to follow this  
Tor

Strange behaviour

Hoping someone has some ideas.

I have a 2001 540i bought with broken chain guides.  To cut a long story short, I replaced guides, did not use timing tools, then as car had weird behaviour, redid timing this time using proper tools (the timing chain was off by 1 link)

So engine now sounds good (it did before retiming), BUT after getting warm with revs > 1500 the engine stalls with a terrible mechanical noise (got me worried first time).  Then restarts and engine is all sweet until next time it stalls

I thought it may be a failing bearing in  the alternator/power steering pump, but cannot understand why it stalls the car.  Removed drive belt and all bearings are good.  Have run the car a short time without the serpentime drive belt and it reved happily to 5000rpm.

Put belt back on and same behaviour as previously, stalls with a mechanical noise

The car has been at 2 different mechanic's, one our local Bmw guy but no suggestions for what needs fixing.  The Bmw guy recorded Vanos fault Bank 1/possible cam sensor fault, but his was before i redid timing

Any suggestions for what i need to check?

Maybe you are right with a failing bearing in one of power steering alternator ac, but maybe spinning under load re created the issue.

Have you isolated the noise?

Waiting for a new timing chain tensioner.  Noise is not due to a failing bearing as issue is there also when serpentine belt removed

Looks like it is a vanos solenoid issue, timing incorrect causing pinking.  Removed electrical plug to solenoid on bank 1 and car runs fine

Edited by Tor

Still strange.  Replaced  1 x vanos solenoid valve but behavior is the same.  So I replaced bank 2 solenoid with a new one and moved solenoid from bank 2 to bank1

Car still cuts out and stalls with Bank 1 solenoid  connected.  Remove connection to solenoid for bank 1 and car runs fine. 

The only thing I can think of is that there is a short somewhere in the wiring  to solenoid on bank1?

Any other suggestions?