Sign in to follow this  
cat007

2008 JDM 323i E90 GM trans fluid

Hi all

I have a Jap imoort 2008 323i E90 with the GM trans and I would like to change the fluid.

I have read a lot of conflicting advice on what fluid to use, DEX VI, DEX III, even the supercheap site say to use DEX III.

Should I bother sourcing a Penrite/Valvoline alternative or should I just buy the stuff from BMW? I was assuming that buying OEM from BMW would be crazy expensive?

Next question:
I was just going to drain fluid, take pan off, change filter, clean magnets and put pan back on then fill back up.
But perhaps I was thinking of doing a proper flush.
What's the best process for a full flush?

I've been told I could just have the car in drive and engine running, fill through the side fill hole and drain out the bottom until the fluid out the bottom runs clean.
I'm not sure how the new fluid wouldn't just drain straight out the bottom though....?

You will never drain it completely in car. Drain it, refill with new oil, run it for ten minutes, then drain it again before removing the pan. Then replace the filter and refit the pan with new gasket and carry out the refill process.. I would not carry out the above process with the risk of running it dry while doing so. If you want I can PM my contact number

• Like 2

Thanks for that. Great advice.
I will see how the fluid looks first round and decide then if I do a second change.

17 minutes ago, cat007 said:

I will see how the fluid looks first round and decide then if I do a second change.

Make sure it's warm for the first drain and check fluid with a magnet if there is allot of discoloration

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Make sure it's warm for the first drain and check fluid with a magnet if there is allot of discoloration

Is there a lower and upper limit for this? I know with my Falcon's ZF it has to be around 30C when filling/checking etc.

45C on most Euro transmissions

• Like 3

Hoping to change fluid tomorrow. I bought 2x 5.7L LubeGard which is what AllTranz recommend and will do the drain, fill, run for ten minutes, drain, change filter and mechatronics seal/plug.

I'm assuming 5.7L is enough to fill?