Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Diesel Generator fire

My Hyundai diesel 5kw generator was started up today and the exhaust started emitting sparks then the whole exhaust box caught ion fire, what the hell causes this?

Wrong fuel ? Insect nest in muffler ?

Definitely not wrong fuel. Insects seems very likely, perhaps even mice.

One reason why I block of exhaust and intake pipes on my motor home LPG heater

• Like 1

Is your version covered in or open framed ? 

2 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

My Hyundai diesel 5kw generator was started up today and the exhaust started emitting sparks then the whole exhaust box caught ion fire, what the hell causes this?

Whole host of possible reasons, hard to say without knowing the whole story.

How long was it sitting - as Glenn says possible animal / insect nest in the exhaust? If it hasn't been used in quite a while and was not covered and sealed, this is quite possible.

Did you have to crank it for quite a while before it fired - unburnt fuel coming through into the exhaust which then got heated once it was running?

I'm not familiar with Hyundia generators, I guess they have a muffler of some sort... could have got some crap in it - dust,etc. or even the muffler material started to break down (unlikely but I have seen similar - not quite a fire but hot sparks coming out the exhaust of a backup gen-set because the exhaust was rusting out as it was only started for a few minutes every 6 month).

9 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Is your version covered in or open framed ? 

Open Framed. On further inspection I think the exhaust my be blocked internally.

8 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Whole host of possible reasons, hard to say without knowing the whole story.

How long was it sitting - as Glenn says possible animal / insect nest in the exhaust? If it hasn't been used in quite a while and was not covered and sealed, this is quite possible.

Did you have to crank it for quite a while before it fired - unburnt fuel coming through into the exhaust which then got heated once it was running?

I'm not familiar with Hyundia generators, I guess they have a muffler of some sort... could have got some crap in it - dust,etc. or even the muffler material started to break down (unlikely but I have seen similar - not quite a fire but hot sparks coming out the exhaust of a backup gen-set because the exhaust was rusting out as it was only started for a few minutes every 6 month).

YEs I did have to crank it but that was mainly because it had to be bled. I did that and it fired right up. Hyundai are actually Kipor from what I can work out. I think the muffler has collapsed internally.