IainR

New Wellington Owner - 130i

Afternoon everyone!

A few firsts for me here:

First BMW

First RWD

First Larger Displacement Engine

First time posting here!

Just picked up this 130i after selling my Subaru Legacy GT Spec B wagon. I've been a long time jap/turbo fan and just got itchy feet after having the GT for 1 year. I actually really missed it but didn't need the space it offered and decided I wanted/needed a hot hatch. I almost went for a Golf R32 but was desperate to stay in a manual car and it's near impossible to find a manual golf in NZ (I'm originally from Scotland). it wasn't until relatively recently that I realised the 130i was within budget.... I've spent many, many hours reading and watching reviews and decided to focus my attention on the little car with the massive engine squeezed in!

At the time of posting, I've only driven the car once along the highway after picking it up. A very different power delivery from my turbo Subaru but I love the instant get-up-and-go offered from the straight 6. One thing that's putting me off driving it any further is the exhaust. It's been fitted with the MSport Performance back box and I actually hate it. It initially put me off buying the car but I've sourced an OEM back box that will be installed as soon as it's delivered. I find the noise pretty unbearable and want to keep the sleeper image that the 130i came with. Is there much of a demand for the Performance muffler? I'll be wanting to sell it on once changed out but no idea of what it's worth. Any honest opinions on what I should ask for it?

I can't wait to get back in it and take it for a spirited drive. I'm absolutely delighted with the car and really look forward to all the road trips!

IMG_20200315_161318.jpg

IMG_20200315_161306.jpg

IMG_20200315_161237.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome, thats my cars sister! Manual NZ new cars are rocking horse sh*t, one of 13, glad its getting looked after, was a good buy. Welcome to the cool kids club ;)

The only difference to mine from the dealer is mine got the aero pack rear spoiler (and mine has 175,000 more k's on the clock!)

Id be interested in the BMW Performance backbox if you want to sell it. Demand world wide for them would be pretty high, but limited market in NZ. It'd be worth a couple of hundred if not beaten up. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

Some 130 threads for ya to read up - 

• Like 1

Cheers Jacko!

I best keep away from that Birds B1 thread. Definitely don't need any further encouragement on the spending front $$$$!!!

Nice, and welcome! ?

You also have BMW Performance pedal covers, shift knob and boot... that's a good $500 at retail if not more. Can't see the handbrake boot, does it have white stitching? If so that's also BMWP.

If it's a genuine BMWP backbox then it's worth a mint but, as Chris says, you may wait a while for a NZ buyer at proper value. Are the tips original to the box? They seem to stick out further than I'd expect. @qube might have some insight on that.

Wheels have been changed from standard and the calipers have been changed or painted, some close-up would be good.

Another thread that might make you spend more money...

^ and that's a pic of Chris' exhaust and dog... not sure how the forum chooses pics lol. ??

Edited by M3AN

@NZ_InFerno want an even louder exhaust?

Welcome BTW, that's a lovely looking car with some good bits in it. Great choice. 

Great purchase! I had my eye on this one for a while and nearly pulled the trigger- glad to hear it went to an enthusiast. You should check to see if the mid-pipe’s been deleted too- this could exacerbate the noise of the m performance backbox. Also, the m performance airbox apparently makes a booming sound at cruising speed- read here (solution included) https://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18833

Cheers for that @///M

I reckon once my replacement muffler comes I'll head along to Auto 38 and hopefully they can help me out and tell me if/what has been removed from the exhaust system. 

• Like 1

Hi Iain, congrats on your purchase, should have looked at the car you’ve bought but procrastinated grr.

Have decided to consider the 130i as a daily but prefer manual though some nice auto’s around.

From Scotland as well and agree that there is a limited choice of models over here. However, other advantages.

Look forward to reading your posts. Should consider joining the BMW club, quite active down here

When we're all allowed out to play again after Covid-19, and it's okay to go to the pub, you guys (@IainR and @Haggisman) should join us for monthly pub night (BMW Car Club NZ with Bimmersport - all welcome), and the meets/cruises/drives/trips that we organise.  Pub night is first Thursday each month in Johnsonville, though understandably on-hold at the moment with the lockdown.

The Welly crew are pretty active in the Lower north Island and the club is active Nationally and re-igniting in the south island too. 

Your car looks like a bundle of fun, @IainR.  Jon at Auto38 will be pleased to see you after the lockdown.  See also details in my sig about the club, if you've not already been nudged elsewhere.  Cheers!

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

When we're all allowed out to play again after Covid-19, and it's okay to go to the pub, you guys (@IainR and @Haggisman) should join us for monthly pub night (BMW Car Club NZ with Bimmersport - all welcome), and the meets/cruises/drives/trips that we organise.  Pub night is first Thursday each month in Johnsonville, though understandably on-hold at the moment with the lockdown.

The Welly crew are pretty active in the Lower north Island and the club is active Nationally and re-igniting in the south island too. 

Your car looks like a bundle of fun, @IainR.  Jon at Auto38 will be pleased to see you after the lockdown.  See also details in my sig about the club, if you've not already been nudged elsewhere.  Cheers!

Thanks Olaf, look forward to end of the lockdown and catching up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Haggisman said:

Thanks Olaf, look forward to end of the lockdown and catching up.

2 hours ago, IainR said:

Always up for a pub night! 

Thanks, lads.  In case you've not already done so, you might consider 'following' the Wellington thread ?  in which case you'll get a handy notification when a new event is posted.

Until the end of lockdown.  Or Valhalla.  Whichever occurs first.  Terms and Conditions apply.  See your BMW service person for those niggly leaks, or your health professional if they're yours...