Sign in to follow this  
agricon

Android screen upgrade to 2009 E83 with original GPS

Hi, I recently purchased a Android 9.0 screen to update the original (Japanese imported) one that was factory installed from new. The screen was all plug in with no modifications needed to the wiring install the new unit. After the install the new screen comes on with a message "No Signal" although when the car is put in reverse the screen changes to the grid.

So I am hoping someone can recommend someone in the Waikato that may be able to help or offer some advice.

Thanks in advance

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

The 'no signal' message is because the new unit can't connect to the main vehicle unit... did you plug the cable you removed from the original unit back into the new unit?

You should be able to exit from the 'no signal' screen to Android by touching the screen or playing with the iDrive controller. Give Android a minute or so to boot before you try just to be safe.

Edited by M3AN

8 hours ago, M3AN said:

The 'no signal' message is because the new unit can't connect to the main vehicle unit... did you plug the cable you removed from the original unit back into the new unit?

You should be able to exit from the 'no signal' screen to Android by touching the screen or playing with the iDrive controller. Give Android a minute or so to boot before you try just to be safe.

Hi  M3AN,

thanks for your reply. Yes i plugged the original cable (10 pin i think) that went to the old screen into the new unit. Unfortunately the car doesn't have iDrive and i tried tapping the screen but nothing. Funny that the reversing screen works fine:-)

Could it be something to do with coding?

I plan to have another look at the weekend just to check connections etc again.

thanks again.

The reversing screen you see is not from the original car, that's in the Android unit and it's not working, there's no picture, just the overlay (and the 'no signal' message is a giveaway).

To be honest i don't know how these are meant to work if the vehicle didn't have iDrive, @Jacko may have an idea?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

The reversing screen you see is not from the original car, that's in the Android unit and it's not working, there's no picture, just the overlay (and the 'no signal' message is a giveaway).

To be honest i don't know how these are meant to work if the vehicle didn't have iDrive, @Jacko may have an idea?

No idea its totally different to my android setup, mine has a menu item to remove the rear camera functionality (Im assuming it doesnt have a camera)

does it actually have a rear camera? if it doesnt.. then theres your problem.

Two different problems, any rear camera he does have is not working (and it wouldn't have come with one originally because it's non-iDrive so no screen).

Second problem is no signal, it's not connected to the CCC or CIC system properly.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Although the car had an original screen with Japanese navigation it has never had an iDrive controller. likewise there is no reversing camera. I am not concerned about the reversing camera, I just put that out there to show the screen has some functionality.

In you opinion what may cause the CCC or CIC to not send the signal? What creates the signal? The car has the navigation unit in the boot and a multi CD stack in the centre armrest, are either of these a potential cause?

Thanks

P.S. Pic of original screen

IMG_2855.PNG

looks like he has the CCC iDrive. just the one with the single knob and one button.

1 hour ago, qube said:

looks like he has the CCC iDrive. just the one with the single knob and one button.

The mode button (LHS) switches between radio, CD and AUX. the large knob on the left is volume/mute/power. There are not many controls on the head unit.

IMG_2791a.jpg

Is there anyone in the Waikato you would suggest I take the car to for them to have a look it?

Edited by agricon
missed sentence

The iDrive controller is a larger knob between the gear shifter and the armrest... how did you send commands to the original screen?

It's highly unlikely anybody will take on a job like this to help you, the systems can be painful to diagnose. If somebody could help you could send quite a lot of money on that.

The CCC will most likely be working just fine, the problem is almost certainly with the installation, configuration or condition of the Android unit. It would pay to make sure all connections are in the correct place and properly connected (i.e. not loose). The key bit to get rid of the "no signal" message is that the original cable(s) to the original screen are now connected to the Android unit.

Are there installation instructions online? If so, post a link.

But 'no signal' should NOT affect the operation of the Android side of the new unit, you need to find out how to get to Android, perhaps contact the vendor? in my unit I just touch the screen and it switches from CCC ('no signal' in your case) to full Android.

Edited by M3AN

Maybe it is caused by that the single is not switched to the new stereo.

By the way, what is the exact brand of car stereo did you get? some car stereos don't support to keep the original CCC or iDrive system.

I have recently upgrade my BMW stereo with XTRONS Q series, they keeps the original functions well and it has Qualcomm processor, Built-in 4G and so on.