Sign in to follow this  
Hickmk

Zf 8hp lunge downshift from 5th to 4th

Hi there,

just wondering if any one has any issues with the 8 speed zf transmission on the f30.  Mine is a n20 320i.  I’ve noticed it has quite a harsh downshift from 5th to 4th.  You can really notice the pull when it down shifts.  All other gears r smooth! Done 110k.  I’ve tried replacing the oil and filter with OEM Stuff there was no metal in the pan and the oil looked pretty good/not burnt.  It’s not bad enough for me to want to strip the entire transmission.  But was wondering if there’s an easy fix perhaps something I can do the next time I do the oil n filter? No transmission fault codes either!

Good idea to reset adaptions when changing the fluid. You really need to drain at least twice to get most of the old fluid if you are using the fill and drain method.

Thanks eagle,  I forgot to mention that I have actually reset the adaptations as well.

Is it the same for all the driving modes - Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport+, etc? Or just one / a couple of them.

Yes all the same in all modes. Obviously a little more pronounced in sport and sport+.

Hmm, that's interesting. Some underlying issue there, and you say there are no codes coming up on the scan?

No codes.. as I said it’s not bad enough to warrant stripping the transmission but it’s uncomfortable enough to annoy me ?. Might do some research on software perhaps?

What are you using to scan with and have you done a full vehicle scan of all modules and cleared all adaptions

2 hours ago, Hickmk said:

No codes.. as I said it’s not bad enough to warrant stripping the transmission but it’s uncomfortable enough to annoy me ?. Might do some research on software perhaps?

I was going to suggest possible software update. Most faults in modern cars are solved by software 

Cheers, I guess bmw r the only ones that can do a manufacturer update.. so I’ll have a word with them when they re open after the lock down!