Sign in to follow this  
DreDurk

Battery charge going down even when on charge

Disconnected my battery from my e90, place it on charge with a battery charger and it’s level of charge is slowly reducing. Should I change this battery for a new one? Battery is a Japanese Import with the car itself. Platinum Cåme battery, Manufactured by Delkor Corporation. 
12V AMPHR 90 RC 160 CCA 912

• Confused 1

How many amps are you charging it with?

Battery is probably dead, how many volt does it read when it's connected to nothing at all? Take 2 readings 24h apart without connecting it to anything. If the volts have reduced you need a new battery.

But, if you need the car, I'd suggest the battery is dead anyway, I doubt a replacement is a bad investment. 

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

How many amps are you charging it with?

Battery is probably dead, how many volt does it read when it's connected to nothing at all? Take 2 readings 24h apart without connecting it to anything. If the volts have reduced you need a new battery.

But, if you need the car, I'd suggest the battery is dead anyway, I doubt a replacement is a bad investment. 

My charger doesn’t read the Voltage. The charger is a SCA 12V Automatic 10AMP 7 Stage. It’s now reading a full charge. But I bet when I put it back in my car it will drain quick I assume..

How many times are you going to be told on here to replace the battery before you actually do it?

It sounds like the battery has dropped a cell. just replace it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DreDurk said:

My charger doesn’t read the Voltage. The charger is a SCA 12V Automatic 10AMP 7 Stage. It’s now reading a full charge. But I bet when I put it back in my car it will drain quick I assume..

Okay, charger is fine. The battery draining whilst connected to the the car is a different problem to it draining by itself.

Don't connect it to anything for 24h then put the charger back on it. If it takes anything more than 5 mins for it to show full again (on the charger) the battery is stuffed.

You should get a multimeter.

10 minutes ago, KwS said:

How many times are you going to be told on here to replace the battery before you actually do it?

It sounds like the battery has dropped a cell. just replace it.

I’m just doing all I can whilst I’m self isolating. I haven’t got clearance to leave my house to do anything. 

22 minutes ago, DreDurk said:

I’m just doing all I can whilst I’m self isolating. I haven’t got clearance to leave my house to do anything. 

So you are trying , or have been driving while under a self isolating enforcement ?

6 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

So you are trying , or have been driving while under a self isolating enforcement ?

There's nothing wrong with driving when self isolating, unless you're a bus driver of course. Although there may be little point.

12 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

So you are trying , or have been driving while under a self isolating enforcement

32 minutes ago, M3AN said:

They sent a email back regarding specific ones to use! I’ll price theirs to others. Thanks alot

37 minutes ago, M3AN said:

There's nothing wrong with driving when self isolating, unless you're a bus driver of course. Although there may be little point.

But why would a person be under an enforced  self isolating order when he's been here over a month ? He brought the car and had the AA attend a month ago in one of his other threads

1 hour ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

But why would a person be under an enforced  self isolating order when he's been here over a month ? He brought the car and had the AA attend a month ago in one of his other threads

Close contact. Or, after today's announcement, if you're elderly or have an underlying health concern.

Travellers are only one group of people that need to self isolate, and having done it once doesn't mean you won't have to do it again for a different, or even the same, reason.

But I was only commenting on the driving generalisation, I have no information on the OP's specific circumstances.

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Close contact. Or, after today's announcement, if you're elderly or have an underlying health concern.

Travellers are only one group of people that need to self isolate, and having done it once doesn't mean you won't have to do it again for a different, or even the same, reason.

But I was only commenting on the driving generalisation, I have no information on the OP's specific circumstances.

I have been sick since Monday. I was in contact and spent a lot of time with a friend who came from Sydney Australia last Friday before the the 14 day isolation rule was issued. I also spent time with a friend with strep throat. I’ve been seen by a doctor and have been given A probable case. But not yet given clearance. I now feel fine. But cannot leave my house. 

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the isolation seriously. 

If I'm isolated I'll still be driving occasionally, even if just to get out of the house, but won't be coming into contact with anyone. 

That's great Andre. Thank you for the explanation ?

Get well soon, and make sure you get the correct battery.

Cutting corners on batteries is a false economy.