Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

Lockdown car maintenance

Apologies if this had been discussed on here already but I can't find any mention of what to do with regards to car maintenance during lockdown. We were given notice today that we are classified as essential, so the commute to work will resume. We were wondering what the story is if you were unfortunate enough to have a flat, water pump give up etc. Public transport isn't an option for us (remote power station). Are ALL mechanics closed? Anyone in the parts supply industry on here? Shipping of parts still available? I'm typically not a take-your-car-to-the-shop kind of guy so would prefer access to parts.

I understand this is super low priority for some and hope everyone gets through this tough time as well as possible. Thought this would be the best place to ask some people who may be in the know.

Repco are apparently open for online sales, supercheap closed online and retail.  

I ordered a swag of stuff from FCP euro, which hopefully turns up in next few weeks.

• Like 2

There will be nothing except for essential freight deliveries I'm afraid Chris, you're going to be waiting a bit longer for those parts unless they slip through somehow.

No mechanics will be open Cam and Repco can only deliver essential parts for essential services, I don't know what proof they'll require.

Direct from Repco:

On Monday 23rd March, the Government announced that New Zealand will move to level 3 alert for 48 hours and then level 4 for 4 weeks as at midnight Wednesday 25th March.

Repco Branches will be closed to walk-in customers from Thursday 26th March.

We understand the need for New Zealand to respect the shutdown and minimise social contact while we fight COVID-19 together. 

You will be able to order online with home delivery for supply of essential parts and tools. This will ensure you can carry out the ongoing repair or maintenance of your vehicles critical to the effective operation of the Essential Services needed in New Zealand, helping keep the cars of New Zealanders who are operating these services running. Including;

• Passenger vehicles required for essential needs;
  • Primary industry, including food production;
  • Transport and logistics including critical infrastructure and couriers;
  • Vehicle recovery services; and
  • Passenger service vehicles, including Taxis.
  • Emergency services;

Your safety, and that of our staff, is our top priority. We appreciate your respect and patience with any restrictions in place, they are there for the protection of you and our people.

This is a changing situation we will keep you up to date regularly by email and on our website www.repco.co.nz.

Stay well and safe.

That differs from Repco website, slyly. 

Im crossing fingers fedex gets through, sump gasket on 330 time. 

nz-covid19-updates.jpg

I think the Repco message is the same. Essential services only... what proof they're require and how they'll manage that is the question.

I'm in possession of an "Essential Services" letter from my employer... perhaps I could lease that out... ?

"Repco branches are not open to the general public, however you are still able to order online"

1 minute ago, Jacko said:

"Repco branches are not open to the general public, however you are still able to order online"

In the context of the whole message it means for essential services... I don't think you can consume the 3rd sentence in ignorance of the previous 2.

I do agree it's a little ambiguous. But, coupled with the message that only essential freight is meant to be operating I think we can all draw the same conclusion - don't depend on a non-essential delivery for anything.

16 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I think the Repco message is the same. Essential services only... what proof they're require and how they'll manage that is the question.

I'm in possession of an "Essential Services" letter from my employer... perhaps I could lease that out... ?

It also says essential needs - I was thinking that means if you need to drive to the supermarket.

I suspect mechanics and the like will be like tradies. For example, if a pipe bursts you can call someone to come fix it but they can’t renovate your bathroom for example. 

• Like 1

Bunnings etc are only open to trade customers so they can carry out essential repairs. One would assume there is a process to go through if your car does break down and you are an essential worker but I doubt that they would disclose that publicly 

29 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

It also says essential needs - I was thinking that means if you need to drive to the supermarket.

I suspect mechanics and the like will be like tradies. For example, if a pipe bursts you can call someone to come fix it but they can’t renovate your bathroom for example. 

Yes, that's my interpretation also. 

Post and couriers are also allowed to work but my understanding is that's only to support the supply chain of essential services. If not, that sort-of undermines the principle of the lockdown. 

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Bunnings etc are only open to trade customers so they can carry out essential repairs. One would assume there is a process to go through if your car does break down and you are an essential worker but I doubt that they would disclose that publicly 

Yes, and Repco etc will be bound by the same rules. 

We have a customer code at work to quote to Repco for any parts we ( mean I ) may require - since we are classified as an essential business. Repco Te Awamutu is closed though, call forwarded to Hamilton & parts couriered to work.

Our other parts suppliers are available for trade too

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

No mechanics will be open Cam and Repco can only deliver essential parts for essential services, I don't know what proof they'll require.

Correct no workshops will be open, but there are designated companies that are “on call” to assist with breakdowns to people working in the essential services.

The required proof will be the Essential Services letter that you mention.

Fedex package is still tracking for monday delivery, sump gasket etc, but then I realised taking the sump off the 330 is going to require putting more oil into it... (doh) 

Ordered oil online for home delivery on Repco, all went through fine, it specifically says online only no pickups through the checkout process and 1-3 days delivery... we shall see :)

Fedex are delivering, took about 2 days longer than usual due to the planes routes all being screwed up, but got fedex package from US and one from UK. 

Since lockdown I have received via courier

- Supercheap fuel filter (ordered before lockdown) 

- scanner adapter ex-Auck (delivered today) post lockdown

- According to Fedex notification my FCP package ordered post lockdown will arrive today.

I assume if the courier companies/drivers have the capacity they will continue to deliver (make money) god bless them ??

Edited by Secniv
  • Like 2

Fcpeuro order from the 25th March is in country, apparently will be delivered tomorrow. Will be stoked af if it happens, don't have a working vehicle atm.

Screenshot_2020-03-30-15-56-49-860_com.android.chrome.png

• Like 1

Fedex have told me they can't say when my (pre-lockdown ordered) FCP package will arrive...

The PM has just announced (16:20 30/03) that distribution of non-essential items, including those from overseas is not in the spirit of the rules and not in the letter of the rules and she's asked MBIE to investigate.

Expect these deliveries to taper off, perhaps sharply.

It's pretty obvious that these retailers are taking the piss, and giving themselves an unfair competitive advantage, I hope it's stamped out quickly (and I also have goods in transit - but I think M3 suspension arms for my 130 are absolutely essential so I'm sure they'll be sweet).

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

To be honest I'm shocked companies are even trying this. My dad got a box of wine delivered this morning that he ordered post-lockdown. FFS that's just irresponsible from all involved, my old man included. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Hmm that's makes it a bit trickier, guess I'll see what happens this week. 

Swap a coil from the white one to the black one and at least have one working car in the mean time?

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

To be honest I'm shocked companies are even trying this. My dad got a box of wine delivered this morning that he ordered post-lockdown. FFS that's just irresponsible from all involved, my old man included. 

It’s an essential good, we’re not apes. ?

• Haha 1